Skipping Because of Creepy Teacher

Watch
username3125608
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm in my first year at university, and I have this one lecturer who really creeps me out. I feel stressed out in his classes because of the way he acts - he gives me THOSE vibes - and it feels like he forces me to participate at times when I'm just naturally not a class-talker.

We have really small seminar class where there isn't a chance to hide or avoid him and I hate going because he makes them really stressful for me.

They've called me out on my patchy seminar attendance today and I don't feel as though I can give the honest reason as to why I'm not showing up, because it's honestly probably not a very good reason but I leave that classroom feeling so stressed out. I don't know what to do, especially since he's the module leader and I'm just going to have to learn to put up with him.

What can I do to make this more bearable?
UniGrad23
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by romia017)
I'm in my first year at university, and I have this one lecturer who really creeps me out. I feel stressed out in his classes because of the way he acts - he gives me THOSE vibes - and it feels like he forces me to participate at times when I'm just naturally not a class-talker.

We have really small seminar class where there isn't a chance to hide or avoid him and I hate going because he makes them really stressful for me.

They've called me out on my patchy seminar attendance today and I don't feel as though I can give the honest reason as to why I'm not showing up, because it's honestly probably not a very good reason but I leave that classroom feeling so stressed out. I don't know what to do, especially since he's the module leader and I'm just going to have to learn to put up with him.

You shouldn’t be missing classes in the first place. Plus, lecturers always tell you to prepare for seminar activities in advance. To be honest if you keep this up you will likely get a 2:2 or a third class degree with a slight chance of getting a 2:1 depending on how much group assignments there is and if your group is committed assuming that they have a understanding of the assessment criteria.
lzyby23
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Does he creep you out purely because he tries to involve you in seminars?
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

You don’t seem to have a very valid reason for not attending seminars except that the lecturer ‘creeps you out’, but you haven’t said specifically how he does that. Everyone is expected to participate in seminars - it’s where you learn a lot of your content and it’s important in 1st year that you get into the habit of doing that. You don’t have to like every lecturer, but you do need to find a way round your problem.
If it’s being singled out to participate, then speak to him about it, or to your Personal Tutor.
username2940194
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ngl, if you dont go, you'll draw more attention to yourself. plus how is he being creepy? if its a solid way that he's being creepy, you could talk to someone but otherwise it's a bit of a tough one
ConicalFlask
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not sure why everyone's getting at you for this - yes you should go to seminars and you will be expected to participate, but if you feel uncomfortable about the lecturer then you should talk to someone about it - your course director, head of department or some form of welfare service is best.
If someone higher up knows about this then you might be able to get around having patchy attendance, and there might be alternative similar seminars you can go to instead. In any case, letting them know about this might help them to deal with others who are feeling uncomfortable - it might be a common problem with that lecturer and your input will be useful for them.
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No one is getting at the OP.
RicoChandarana
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

You are actually pathetic. Because he asks you to participate you accuse him of being creepy. You are a radical femenist
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What has he done that is remotley creepy?
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
What has he done that is remotley creepy?
She’s not too keen on her flatmates either.
Kits
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You could get him in trouble for no reason with this nonsense. Grow up and attend or don't and face the consequences, but don't pass the blame onto someone just doing their job
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Play the game a bit, make sure you know the material and participate, even if its smoke and mirrors. Participation is a useful skill, so don't decide not to do it, however, if you decide you're not happy and he ask you a question - just say you don't know and stick to it.

You're in year 1, it generally doesn't count towards your degree. Don't get kicked out because of non-attendance. If "THOSE vibes" are inappropriate, discuss it with your tutor.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
you have the right to feel comfortable during all your learning experiences. the course provider should arrange an alternative lecturer for you.
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There should be a little card that you can turn over to display that you are feeling uncomfortable in a tutorial.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
if you do not get a 2:1 or a 1st then you can seek compensation due to this egregious failure of your course provider to provide acceptable lecturers.
after all it is your life and career which are at stake here.

#saynotomrcreepy
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Or better still a real time app so that people can anonymously report that they are feeling attacked. A bit like Oxfess or UCLove but obviously without the trolling
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Trinculo)
Or better still a real time app so that people can anonymously report that they are feeling attacked. A bit like Oxfess or UCLove but obviously without the trolling
as a sensible compromise part of the lecture hall/seminar room could be screened off so that the creepy lecturer cannot see the student who is being offended ?
or a video link could be installed so the student could take part remotely from a place where they feel safe.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
if the course provider is unwilling to adopt any of the solutions mentioned above then they should arrange for a support worker to accompany you to lectures/seminars. this would be a person approved by you to make you feel comfortable and respected. the cost of this would naturally be borne by the course provider.
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
as a sensible compromise part of the lecture hall/seminar room could be screened off so that the creepy lecturer cannot see the student who is being offended ?
or a video link could be installed so the student could take part remotely from a place where they feel safe.
We have just inadvertently invented distance learning

EDIT**:

MIND BLOWN- does this make Open University the safest and most spacious institution in the country?
Last edited by Trinculo; 2 years ago
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
He's trying to get you more involved and to speak out more. That's not creepy at all. Honestly :_:

Tell him that you don't like speaking out and that sort of thing, or just don't attend at all, but before you go to management or try to get the dude in trouble for something try to speak to him.

Also, ignore the folks saying you have to attend seminars and lectures and stuff. I've not attended one and I'm doing fine, so it's definitely doable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.63%
I don't have everything I need (260)
44.37%

Watched Threads