The Student Room Group

Does anyone else despise being hugged?

Why is it that this gesture of intimacy always sparks a powerful cringe and shudder down my spine, even if it's with my relatives and people I'm close with? I have no history of any trauma whatsoever and I had a wonderful and happy childhood but I just can't seem to deal with other people like most humans can.

Needless to say, I am not looking forward to christmas.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unwavering
Why is it that this gesture of intimacy always sparks a powerful cringe and shudder down my spine, even if it's with my relatives and people I'm close with? I have no history of any trauma whatsoever and I had a wonderful and happy childhood but I just can't seem to deal with other people like most humans can.

ur a phycopath. I LOVE HUGS. probs the most affectionate girl ever :smile: but not clingy so its calm
Getting hugged is great, I don't know what you're talking about! When you're hugged, your body releases oxytocin which makes you feel happier and less stressed, and also more connected and empathetic towards others. Other sources of oxytocin release: chocolate, sex
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by lilithegcsedon
ur a phycopath. I LOVE HUGS. probs the most affectionate girl ever :smile: but not clingy so its calm

Apparently the prefix ''phyco-'' means relating to seaweed, so a phycopath is either someone who suffers from seaweed or perhaps cures diseases using seaweed.

Anyway I agree that hugs are great and we should give more of them.
I love them but I get what you mean.
I used to be the same way! Hugs freaking nauseated me and I backed away from them at any possible moment. Now, though, I can't seem to stop ugging people lol. It's just comforting, I guess

:hugs: :lol:
Original post by Obolinda
I love them but I get what you mean.

same
Reply 7
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Getting hugged is great, I don't know what you're talking about! When you're hugged, your body releases oxytocin which makes you feel happier and less stressed, and also more connected and empathetic towards others. Other sources of oxytocin release: chocolate, sex

Yeah...I think at some point my body decided against doing that. I don't know how or why but the only thing prolonged physical contact does to me is elicit an awkward distaste.
Depending on the hugger, I like hugs. It is nice to feel loved and cared for and I would like to be hugged more.

#HugLife
Original post by Pachuco
Depending on the hugger, I like hugs. It is nice to feel loved and cared for and I would like to be hugged more.

#HugLife

You've the best avatar in the history of humanity.
Not a fan.
yes I hate physical contact and intimacy makes me very uncomfortable

I try to initiate it so it's over and done with
Thank you, that's very kind 🙂
Original post by Kovalensky
You've the best avatar in the history of humanity.

Yes! This is me. Although I'm autistic which may be a part of it. I will let people hug me now, it's taken a long time though. When I was younger I would do absolutely anything to avoid the hug and kiss at the end of a visit, I'd get told off for being rude but just couldn't face it- especially when I'd already been social for hours before.
w o w. you really are shameful. lol you're a mean one. Mr. Grinch.
love hugs. proper make a grown ass man cry like. I fit the "you need a hug in your life" thing.

I squeeze my gal to death and even pick her up. squeeze my lil siblings to death. give bro hugs. not afraid.

now kissing. i dont really do. a good peck to say bye is really it. or a cheeky swap and tongue frick during s*x. im not all that romantic. just give bear hugs generally. snogging aint me, i just go for s*x if a kiss lasts that long...
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
i just don't like when a person initiatives a hug and then it's a loose hug of they're staring off into the distance, like why even bother. it's like initiating a loose handshake.

i also don't like hugging people unless i hug them every single time i see them, otherwise it's awkward because you never know when you're supposed to.
i'm the same with family members, i dont mind hugging friends but i hate hugging family member idk its just awkward. the only time i absolutely love hugs is when i'm in a relationship
For me, it depends who's doing the hugging. Some people I'm fine with, others I can't stand, and it's all to do with things that have happened in my life. One of the only people who's touch I can really stand is my boyfriend, which is pretty lucky if you think about it.

Quick Reply

Latest