The Student Room Group

Dealing with job knockbacks/rejections - what next?

I'm a 28 year old graduate who works in fast food. I graduated in 2016 and had been applying for jobs in my field, unsuccessfully.

After a lot of knockbacks I just decided that was it, my heart wasn't in it anymore. I then embarked on an MA in something tech related. However, I could not hold down this degree and full time work and suspendedy studies.

I finally came to the conclusion that I want to work in Social Work and have volunteering lined up and recently applied to Think Ahead scheme but got rejected. I was quietly confident because of the experiences I've had it thought I'd have a good chance.

I'm very passionate about helping those with mental health issues. I want about career in it, but can't afford abother degree.

I wouldn't mind doing something similar like support work in Mental health but requirements vary and salaries tend to be low. Whereas think ahead was nhs based with progression.

How do you guys pick yourselves up? Was hoping to be out of my current job by next year.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a 28 year old graduate who works in fast food. I graduated in 2016 and had been applying for jobs in my field, unsuccessfully.

After a lot of knockbacks I just decided that was it, my heart wasn't in it anymore. I then embarked on an MA in something tech related. However, I could not hold down this degree and full time work and suspendedy studies.

I finally came to the conclusion that I want to work in Social Work and have volunteering lined up and recently applied to Think Ahead scheme but got rejected. I was quietly confident because of the experiences I've had it thought I'd have a good chance.

I'm very passionate about helping those with mental health issues. I want about career in it, but can't afford abother degree.

I wouldn't mind doing something similar like support work in Mental health but requirements vary and salaries tend to be low. Whereas think ahead was nhs based with progression.

How do you guys pick yourselves up? Was hoping to be out of my current job by next year.

I think you just gotta be persistent
It's all part of life.
Redundancy, awful job interviews, encountering tyrannical bosses/ a few obnoxious coworkers, recruitment consultants that seem to enjoy humiliating agency
workers they are supposed to place.
Just remember to not to take knockbacks personally- pick yourself up, move forward without anger/frustration, keep an eye out for more suitable opportunities and don't give up hope.

Have you looked into volunteering with charities that help vulnerable people with mental health issues?
Reply 3
Original post by londonmyst
It's all part of life.
Redundancy, awful job interviews, encountering tyrannical bosses/ a few obnoxious coworkers, recruitment consultants that seem to enjoy humiliating agency
workers they are supposed to place.
Just remember to not to take knockbacks personally- pick yourself up, move forward without anger/frustration, keep an eye out for more suitable opportunities and don't give up hope.

Have you looked into volunteering with charities that help vulnerable people with mental health issues?

Yes all being well with references and DBS Clearance I will be starting volunteering as a Support Worker helping people with mental health issues in the new year I think.

I had hoped to get into Social Work and try and train as a social worker but I can't get funding for a degree into the field, which is why I tried to get onto the Think Ahead scheme because they offer a 2yr accelarated scheme and a paid masters with in job exp in an NHS Trust.

Problem is I just got rejected.
Reply 4
I kinda feel the same now. I'm 28, have tried lots of different things. Exhausted any chance of further funding.

After some soul searching I want to become a social worker but I need a degree for that. Hence why I applied for think ahead scheme, as they offer a paid masters degree and 2 year job in an NHS Trust. Unfortunately I've just been rejected.

I want to help people and am passionate about helping those with mental health issues.

I'm now looking at alternative roles like support worker which a lower paid and offer like less progression.

Low pay doesn't bother me in short term, but I'm looking to build a career and stable lifestyle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending