Do most people presume that Blacks are well liked by gay people?

Watch
muthalganesan18
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I find that mainstream media is almost universally broadcasting that blacks are well-liked in gay culture, eventhough in real life I find that's not the case. For example, I find it's really weird that Milo Yianopolis goes on endlessly about Blacks when Blacks are probably the main racial group that gets hate racism in gay culture, and when Indians and East Asians have stronger links with the right-wing.

I also think it's mildly wrong/unfair for mainstream media to support a single race above all other racial groups. The LGBT community (in Europe and CANZUK at least) is mostly white centric and I mostly accept this since my real life is also mostly white (everyone at school is mostly white, the people I interact with daily are mostly white).

I guess the main question of this thread is about how people perceive race in LGBT.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd like to think that most of the LGBT community couldn't give a **** about ethnicity. Personally.
Kaffee_1998
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What the ****? Who asks such a question
saffarinda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think when you’ve been abused and hated as a result of something you can’t control you tend to empathise with others that have the same occur to them as a result.
muthalganesan18
Rep:
?
(Original post by saffarinda)
I think when you’ve been abused and hated as a result of something you can’t control you tend to empathise with others that have the same occur to them as a result.
Milo Yianopolis?
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by muthalganesan18)
Milo Yianopolis?
No that's saffarinda, not Milo Yainopolis.
muthalganesan18
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
No that's saffarinda, not Milo Yainopolis.
You know what I meant. We have racism in the gay community and mainstream media supports it.
AndrewPSSP
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People at school only say that to me jokingly. I honestly couldn't care less whether you were black or white. Just as long as the guy looks after himself and doesn't have an absolutely awful personality.
muthalganesan18
Rep:
?
(Original post by AndrewPSSP)
People at school only say that to me jokingly. I honestly couldn't care less whether you were black or white. Just as long as the guy looks after himself and doesn't have an absolutely awful personality.
I have sexual prefereneces when it comes to who'd I'd have sex with, let alone dating, so I don't get comments like this. There are some races I just don't enjoy having sex with.
AndrewPSSP
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have sexual prefereneces when it comes to who'd I'd have sex with, let alone dating, so I don't get comments like this. There are some races I just don't enjoy having sex with.
I should have made myself a bit more clearer. That comment was about the person and being friends with someone, not about my sexual preferences. I've liked the same person (well, came to terms that I liked them) since Year 8 so I guess they're the one I would like to have sex with? But then again whenever I think about this person I generally only think about the potential future, not so much the sex but more the "life" aspect of it.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are some races I just don't enjoy having sex with.
And you think skin colour has anything to do with that?
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not sure why the two variables are related at all
muthalganesan18
Rep:
?
(Original post by AndrewPSSP)
I should have made myself a bit more clearer. That comment was about the person and being friends with someone, not about my sexual preferences. I've liked the same person (well, came to terms that I liked them) since Year 8 so I guess they're the one I would like to have sex with? But then again whenever I think about this person I generally only think about the potential future, not so much the sex but more the "life" aspect of it.
It's interesting about the sex. A lot of gay guys don't seem interested in having sex nowadays, especially the younger ones don't. We have changing attitudes towards masculinity and sex generally among younger people regardless of sexuality - most people haven't had sex by the time they take their A-Levels for example.
muthalganesan18
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Not sure why the two variables are related at all
Maybe generally, representation of LGBT racial minorities in mainstream media, especially when the LGBT environment has been so monoracial.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maybe generally, representation of LGBT racial minorities in mainstream media, especially when the LGBT environment has been so monoracial.
Don't think it's the entire LGBT community, seems more of an issue with gay men tbh. They are the ones on Grindr saying racist things like no blacks no Asians no fats etc
muthalganesan18
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Don't think it's the entire LGBT community, seems more of an issue with gay men tbh. They are the ones on Grindr saying racist things like no blacks no Asians no fats etc
I'm not talking about racism in the gay community, I'm talking about representation of LGBT in mainstream media, albeit this might have an influence on racism in the gay community.
velvetzappa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You know what I meant. We have racism in the gay community and mainstream media supports it.
I don't sympathise with Milo, but I need to point out slander when it is there. How can Milo Yianoplois be a racist to black people when he's husband is black and Muslim? That doesn't make sense. I don't think he's a racist. I think he's a pompous scalawag.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (222)
60.82%
No (77)
21.1%
Not sure (66)
18.08%

Watched Threads