The Student Room Group

Description Q5

how do you describe a photo
How do you make you're descriptions interesting + how to improve
and get 40/40 marks?
Is this for GCSE English? I was always taught to work through it logically and describe each of your 5 senses. This helps the reader to get a better insight into your imagination and perception of the image. You could also try and pick out key parts of the image, as if zooming in on certain aspects and making connections to real life concepts. For example if it’s an image of a light house on an island you could write about smells/sounds of the ocean and its location and go on to comment on how it’s presence may appear lonely, symbolising social withdrawal and isolation. Don’t be afraid to get creative, no matter how abstract the idea is. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
okay so where do I begin

have a look at your picture and think of a work that will be your keyword, then your gonna think of 5 synonyms for your keyword and then you write down the tone you will be using throughout your descriptive writing. Looking at the picture you will do your 5 senses and something I learned to do after that was my TCAP and this is an abbreviation for TimeColourAir//Atomospher//Physical Reaction. You would then make a one-line paragraph with the keyword and then your paragraph using TCAP and your senses. After that, you would look at the picture and zoom into 4things that you will write about.
p.s this is not a narrative this is a descriptive writing if you change throughout your writing you will lose a couple of marks so stick to descriptive writing toIf it helps you understand a bit more look at it this way a descriptive is a moment in time which you describe however a narrative is a story with a beginning, middle and end.

Hope that helps x
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest