Difference between "correlation" and "related".

Watch
XTO4STX
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Despite thoroughly researching both types of experimental design, I am still lost when it comes to applying which one of these to an example experiment. They then both seem to fit the experiments or neither quite fits right. Thanks for the help and sorry if this is a stupid question.
DrDanB
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Correlation is objective and relation is subjective. Correlation is the statistical relationship between two variables, whereas saying their related is how you conclude upon that link, i.e. positive/negative correlation means they are related, but no correlations means no relationship.
Dani_pidgeon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In psychology, for experimental design problem questions we have been taught that if it is correlation then the scenario will say that they are looking for a test of association or correlation. Whereas if it is relate, the scenario will say that they are looking for a test of difference, related being either matched pairs or repeated measures and unrelated being independent groups. Hope this helps
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by XTO4STX)
Despite thoroughly researching both types of experimental design, I am still lost when it comes to applying which one of these to an example experiment. They then both seem to fit the experiments or neither quite fits right. Thanks for the help and sorry if this is a stupid question.
Just because something correlates doesn't mean it is related:

Name:  Screenshot 2018-12-13 at 22.57.40.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  176.4 KB
DrDanB
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Just because something correlates doesn't mean it is related:

Name:  Screenshot 2018-12-13 at 22.57.40.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  176.4 KB
A fine example.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DrDanB)
A fine example.
:hat2:

(Plenty more here: http://tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations including more cheese ones )

Attachment 788080
XTO4STX
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrDanB)
Correlation is objective and relation is subjective. Correlation is the statistical relationship between two variables, whereas saying their related is how you conclude upon that link, i.e. positive/negative correlation means they are related, but no correlations means no relationship.
Thanks, that's a lot simpler than my teachers explained it.
XTO4STX
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
:hat2:

(Plenty more here: http://tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations including more cheese ones )

Attachment 788080
Thanks thats a creative way to show the difference XD
XTO4STX
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dani_pidgeon)
In psychology, for experimental design problem questions we have been taught that if it is correlation then the scenario will say that they are looking for a test of association or correlation. Whereas if it is relate, the scenario will say that they are looking for a test of difference, related being either matched pairs or repeated measures and unrelated being independent groups. Hope this helps
Thanks, that was actually incredibly specific to the practice question I am stuck on, wording and everything!
Dani_pidgeon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No problem, I find that once you have that basic bit of knowledge it can be used for so many questions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (21)
13.64%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.27%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (64)
41.56%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
14.94%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.6%

Watched Threads