The Student Room Group

Which car is my luxurious Audi or Mercedes?

Scroll to see replies

Not spelling... you mean most instead of my. You lack a grasp basic English comprehension,
Reply 21
Original post by Old Skool Freak
You say OP is interested in the current status, but your link is almost a year old :wink: :tongue: :lol:

And for the record, I'm not talking about what happened specifically 20-30 years ago, but overall trends since the the 80's heyday. Granted, Mercedes may have had the biggest market share in 2017, but how many times have they previously won? Also, do we have any indication of this years stats / figures?

I doubt it (well no more than the equivalent Audi / Mercedes owner). I do know that M3 owners tend to change their cars frequently, but the same can be said for the equivalent Mercedes (C AMG) and Audis (S/ RS) models. As I said, all of those manufacturers attract the same demographic for the equivalent model (it's not like we're comparing Bentleys and Fords lol)

The only thing I will say is that some Mercedes / Audi owners think the BMW image has got a bit tacky in recent years.

Latest: BMW has effectively closed the gap but share (and sales) are down for all 3 marques. (#brexit)

https://www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/car-registrations/

Year to Date 2018 market share
Audi : 6.18% (-16.36% change on 2017)
BMW : 7.22% (-0.73%)
Mercedes : 7.24% (-5.67%)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Surely it depends what model, engine and trim level you go for?
Plus there are different aspects to "luxury" - engine refinement, feel of the controls, general internal build quality, reliability, longevity. You could even extend it to safety in the broadest sense of the term "luxury", as sitting at home in one piece is more luxurious than a stay in hospital with broken bones, or at worse being 6 feet under.
Audi and Mercedes both make some great cars.
I'm from London and around here, Mercedes is considered the luxury brand.

But if you're under the age of 30 it's Audi. I'm struggling to take this thread seriously, luxury is in the eyes of the beholder. I'm a hot hatch fanatic and next for my third year I'll probably be swapping to an AMG 35 because in terms of drive and luxury it's supposed to compete with I'd say the S3 or the new RS1 but beats both. Someone else might disagree.
They’re all good for different reasons.
Reply 25
Lada.
imo BMW
From a driver's perspective, it's gonna be the BMW. For being chauffeured around, Mercedes is my cup of tea. Audi is underrated, just as a Lexus. Audi fits in between comfort and driving pleasure. As a car enthusiast and a petrol head, I would choose the BMW as my ultimate choice.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
Lada.

Lada Niva > Mercedes G-Wagen 😍
Reply 29
Original post by Mr. Petrol Head
From a driver's perspective, it's gonna be the BMW. For being chauffeured around, Mercedes is my cup of tea. Audi is underrated, just as a Lexus. Audi fits in between comfort and driving pleasure. As a car enthusiast and a petrol head, I would choose the BMW as my ultimate choice.

A Lotus is also an amazing car.
Reply 30
None of them.
Reply 31
Original post by Crow_M

Lots of trouble usually serious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by DillyDilly0121
They’re all good for different reasons.

Merged with your previous thread asking the same thing. :yy:
Original post by Crow_M

Lotus is a purely an auto enthusiasts oriented car. If you wanna have daily driver that's fun to drive, then lotus cars fits in well :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Audi are coming up with some quality cars these days, for example their new A8 model is way more luxurious and technologically advanced than Mercedes' latest S-class which is the A8's main competitor
Hmm been in Audi's and they're not really that luxurious, just a rebadged Volkswagen!
Mercedes aren't really that nice, I'd take a Beamer any day of the week out of those three!

But none of them are as good as the latest Volvo's!
Reply 36
Original post by Doonesbury
Lots of trouble usually serious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its reliability has increased over the years, sure, maybe there are a few problems now and then. But their cars are great machines nowadays, and they have great aesthetics.

Original post by Mr. Petrol Head
Lotus is a purely an auto enthusiasts oriented car. If you wanna have daily driver that's fun to drive, then lotus cars fits in well :smile:

Indeed :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Crow_M
Its reliability has increased over the years, sure, maybe there are a few problems now and then. But their cars are great machines nowadays, and they have great aesthetics.

Indeed :smile:

With just 240 new sales per year they are very much a niche product...
(I'm a former owner)
Reply 38
Original post by Doonesbury
With just 240 new sales per year they are very much a niche product...
(I'm a former owner)

A niche product indeed...
And wow, didn't know that Doones was a car enthusiast :redface:
Reply 39
Original post by Crow_M
A niche product indeed...
And wow, didn't know that Doones was a car enthusiast :redface:

:yep: Had a Lotus type 116 ( :wink: ) for 5 years. Great fun, but not really a practical daily driver (although I did drive it every day).

Quick Reply

Latest