The Student Room Group

Can you drop out of second year and start a new degree course

So basically, im in the midst of a mental breakdown. Im about to finish semester one of second year doing English language as a major and creative writing as a minor. This is important bc back in August 2017 a week before i got my A level results, i put myself in clearing without my family knowing so i didnt have to do a law degree like they wanted. But ive just realised that i avoided doing a degree theyd approve of just so i could take ENGLISH- THE OTHER COURSE THEY'D APPROVE OF AND IM ONLY MINORING IN WHAT I ACTUALLY LOVE. Im good at english dont get me wrong- but if i could choose again i'd pick Creative Writing or Fine Art or Performing Arts- things that i really love and things that relate to what i actually want to do with my life.

I took an elective history module this semester and i havent done history since GCSE, ive got no support from the module leader(s) so naturally, im failing. I write good essays but they arent "written how a degree level history essay should be reference wise and opinion wise" and nobody will tell me how i should be writing or show me and example essay.

Im not motivated to go to my english lectures and seminars because i dont enjoy them, my mental health is literally in the bin, im working on formal diagnosis' of BPD and DID having already been diagnosed with depression, anxiety and bipolar, and to top it off my module leader for english this semester doesnt teach me- its some random woman who is still teaching content from week 3 in week 12.

im trying to get a place on a year abroad next year in Italy to postpone the inevitable failing of my degree, but lets face it im paying forthis, i want to come out with a first and i want to have enjoyed my course.

Pls send help. Or memes. Or just, laugh at my suffering. Any of the above. xo
Reply 1
Update: i found the course that i wanna do at the uni im currently at

Quick Reply