Hard Decision on MA Filmmaking schools Watch

grubby911
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi I'm now get two offers and waiting for other three schools' feedback, would like to get some comments on these schools especially from those who have studied in one of them.

Here is my situation, I'm an international applicant, who don't have an academic filmmaking background, but have worked in a commercial production company for 5 years as a producer. And now look for a MA directing or filmmaking course in the UK. I don't want a theoretical course but a more practical course, if there will be more industry connections would be better.

My consideration for schools are mainly from these aspects:
1. how the courses run (how much practical courses, which direction mainly: e.g. feature, TV, documentary, etc);
2. how many films could I make during school time (and as what role, who will be my crew members);
3. how are the equipments?
4. what's the atmosphere? (like a professional workshop or school campus?)
5. tuition fee (and hidden cost)?

Here is the list I'm applying now:

1. Ravensbourne: MA moving image (conditional offer-IELTS score);
Seems London located gives this school more industry links and with decent rep, but how is the course itself and organization?

2. Bournemouth University: MA directing (conditional offer-IELTS score);
Good city environment and good rep, but heard they are more on a TV side and very famous visual effect course, how is the MA directing course?

3. Arts University Bournemouth: MA filmmaking (waiting for feedback);
seems good art atmosphere, is the film course good and practical for industry?

4. London film academy: filmmaking diploma (waiting for feedback);
need another 12 weeks to get the MA, seems training all aspects not only directing, seems not cheap, how is the industrial rep?

5. MET film school: MA directing (waiting for feedback);
heard some bad reviews really, seems not cheap, how is this school now, any courses are outstanding?

* London film school and NFTS, I know actually they are the best basically, but two years with that expensive tuition and difficulty to get in, not in my first list as now.
But someone have said either go to one of these two for MA or not go to the UK, is there anyone could give some comments compare these two with others?

Thanks for any comments you will give, would be glad to communicate with deep views.
grubby911
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi I'm now get two offers and waiting for other three schools' feedback, would like to get some comments on these schools especially from those who have studied in one of them.

Here is my situation, I'm an international applicant, who don't have an academic filmmaking background, but have worked in a commercial production company for 5 years as a producer. And now look for a MA directing or filmmaking course in the UK. I don't want a theoretical course but a more practical course, if there will be more industry connections would be better.

My consideration for schools are mainly from these aspects:
1. how the courses run (how much practical courses, which direction mainly: e.g. feature, TV, documentary, etc);
2. how many films could I make during school time (and as what role, who will be my crew members);
3. how are the equipments?
4. what's the atmosphere? (like a professional workshop or school campus?)
5. tuition fee (and hidden cost)?

Here is the list I'm applying now:

1. Ravensbourne: MA moving image (conditional offer-IELTS score);
Seems London located gives this school more industry links and with decent rep, but how is the course itself and organization?

2. Bournemouth University: MA directing (conditional offer-IELTS score);
Good city environment and good rep, but heard they are more on a TV side and very famous visual effect course, how is the MA directing course?

3. Arts University Bournemouth: MA filmmaking (waiting for feedback);
seems good art atmosphere, is the film course good and practical for industry?

4. London film academy: filmmaking diploma (waiting for feedback);
need another 12 weeks to get the MA, seems training all aspects not only directing, seems not cheap, how is the industrial rep?

5. MET film school: MA directing (waiting for feedback);
heard some bad reviews, seems not cheap, how is this school now, any courses are outstanding? The industry links good and helpful when graduate?

* London film school and NFTS, I know actually they are the best basically, but two years with that expensive tuition and difficulty to get in, not in my first list as now.
But someone have said either go to one of these two for MA or not go to the UK, is there anyone could give some comments compare these two with others?

Thanks for any comments you will give, would be glad to communicate with deep views.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (293)
26.07%
Yes - they're famous (285)
25.36%