Why do I get bad grades even though I studied really hard Watch

ChickenCard777
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I just did my prelims and I did extremely badly despite studying loads for the exam, I did past papers and looked over every topic that could’ve came up. Please tell me what I’m doing wrong and how I could improve.
billionaire boy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
studying hard and studying smart is different
boredsatan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ChickenCard777)
I just did my prelims and I did extremely badly despite studying loads for the exam, I did past papers and looked over every topic that could’ve came up. Please tell me what I’m doing wrong and how I could improve.
Study smarter, not harder. Did you understand all the questions on the past papers?
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ChickenCard777)
What types of revision were you doing when you say that you 'looked over' every topic? How were you doing the past papers, and how were you scoring in them?
Jumainah19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This usually happens to me for science, I understand the topics really well, and I study the content (make flashcards/posters/mindmaps) and often I don't get the grades I would expect of myself. The main problem I found in my tests was that I understood the question, but most questions are 3/4 marks but I only get 1 or 2 marks, because I didn't develop my statements to what the mark scheme expects.

I seriously recommend doing exam questions because since I have started I have improved almost a whole grade. ANd mark the exams after, as harsh as you can.

SaveMy Exams is a good website
Fermion.
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
Your revision technique could be wrong. You need to use active recall. Try using flashcards and writing summary on a single A4 page for each topic. If you can't answer certain questions, find out why and revise those questions.
EyestriX
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know what you mean. The same happened to me
At home when I do past paper questions, I get full marks because I have enough time to fully expand my answers and say what I know about the topic.
Under exam condition, I do badly because I run out of time. It often takes me so long to process what the question is asking me to do, and then think of how to formulate my answer. I can't do that under timed conditions - it's so frustrating
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?