The Student Room Group

Funding for alternative Degree after HND and incomplete Degree

Hi all,

I am not sure how the student funding works so if anyone could shed a little clarity that would be great.

I previously completed a HND in business whereby i received 3 years of student finance funding. (1 year out of the 3 was a repeat)

I then went on to university to do a "top up" degree which i also received a years funding for.

The top up finished January of this year (18) so although i completed my year of study due to mitigating circumstances throughout my time there i was unable to obtain my actual degree as i was missing one module and i am unable to receive any award for the work i have submitted due to it only being a "top up" degree, furthermore the grades i did receive were not my best, again due to my mitigating circumstances, which are now worthless without the last module.

I have decided that rather than paying £3000 for the missed module and the fact that my grades would earn a maximum of only 40% that i would aim to re do my degree but in another subject and at a different university.

Based on this i wondered whether or not i would be re-eligible for student funding regarding the new degree i am wanting to study, which would be a 3 year course?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by Peaches 01
Hi all,

I am not sure how the student funding works so if anyone could shed a little clarity that would be great.

I previously completed a HND in business whereby i received 3 years of student finance funding. (1 year out of the 3 was a repeat)

I then went on to university to do a "top up" degree which i also received a years funding for.

The top up finished January of this year (18) so although i completed my year of study due to mitigating circumstances throughout my time there i was unable to obtain my actual degree as i was missing one module and i am unable to receive any award for the work i have submitted due to it only being a "top up" degree, furthermore the grades i did receive were not my best, again due to my mitigating circumstances, which are now worthless without the last module.

I have decided that rather than paying £3000 for the missed module and the fact that my grades would earn a maximum of only 40% that i would aim to re do my degree but in another subject and at a different university.

Based on this i wondered whether or not i would be re-eligible for student funding regarding the new degree i am wanting to study, which would be a 3 year course?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Peaches,

As you've already studied for a total of four years (three years on the HND and one year top-up) you are unlikely to be eligible for full funding (Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants) for all of your course.

We work out how many years of full funding you have remaining by using the following calculation when you start your new course:

Length of new course + One additional year - All years of previous study = Number of years full funding available.

In your case the calculation would be:

3 + 1 - 4 = 0 years of full funding available.

This means that during the length of your course you would only be able to apply for a Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants such as Childcare Grant or Disabled Student's Allowance.

However, if you had compelling personal reasons (CPR) e.g. illness or bereavement for not being able to complete your top-up degree we can award one year of full student finance. This would be awarded in your final year.

Thanks,
Chris

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending