Help me choose the best 5 choices for undergrad law Watch

confused5409
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My current picks for Law are LSE, King's College London, Durham.

For my last 2 choices, I'm confused among UCL, Bristol, Nottingham and Manchester.
The employer reputation of all of them domestically seems to be very high and comparable, seeing statistics, though when it comes to London Firms and Magic Circle Firms, there may be a few differences. In terms of International Reputation, I'd think that UCL would be the highest followed by Manchester and then Bristol and Nottingham at par not far below Manchester, though I may be wrong. The teaching quality and faculty at all seem to be excellent and don't have huge disparities.

I'm confident of being able to get an offer at Bristol, Manchester and Nottingham, and from my primary three choices, I'd think I have a good chance at KCL and Durham. UCL has a lower offer rate, and slightly higher entry requirements, so it might be a slight gamble.

My LNAT was excellent, in both the MCQ and Essay sections, expecting between 29-33 in MCQ, and since Manchester doesn't require LNAT and that's a strong component of my application, I may drop Manchester. (though I'm interested in their Law with Politics and International Study course)

Since many of the factors are comparable, it boils down to student satisfaction, opportunities available, course variations and freedom, campus life, alumni network and other factors which are more difficult to calculate and measure. Can you all give me advice regarding the best two choices among these four?
anonymous1231231
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The next BEST choices I'd say is UCL, Bristol/Nottingham, Manchester.

UCL is a gamble, because it is competitive but if it helps, if you qualify for a contexual offer, if you get an offer it can be as low as AAB.

Bristol is the same for the contextual offer.

Nottingham has a cut-off point for the LNAT I believe, I think it's like 25 which is pretty high...

Manchester would be a good one, because it doesn't require the LNAT and your other options do.
Lady Jamie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Reputation wise: UCL > Bristol (slightly) > Notts = Man. Pick one between UCL & Bristol and one between Notts & Man.

I would also personally recommend replacing KCL with UCL since Bristol & KCL are more on par with each other. Then select one from them (Bristol or KCL and Notts or Man).

Notts - I don't think there's a cut-off for the LNAT. They can't afford to be that picky.

Personally, I feel like the LNAT exam is quite difficult to predict. I know ppl who came out of the exam crying but ended up performing extremely well and vice versa. I would choose a non-LNAT uni just to give u a peace of mind. However, my previous point still stands (Notts wouldn't scrutinise the LNAT too much) so up to u.
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd go for UCL, but don't overestimate how well you did. I'd choose Notts or Manchester as an insurance (assuming you're doing A-levels).
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Personally Brizzy. I like the dim sum.
confused5409
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you for your replies!! Another thing I'd like to take your opinion on is, if I should consider Warwick instead of Manchester or Nottingham, many places say that recently Warwick has earned great amount of reputation and the uni is brilliant except for its location, so how good would it be for law, would it be better than Nottingham or Manchester or almost at the same par in terms of student experience, employability and domestic and international reputation?
Lady Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by confused5409)
Thank you for your replies!! Another thing I'd like to take your opinion on is, if I should consider Warwick instead of Manchester or Nottingham, many places say that recently Warwick has earned great amount of reputation and the uni is brilliant except for its location, so how good would it be for law, would it be better than Nottingham or Manchester or almost at the same par in terms of student experience, employability and domestic and international reputation?
Roughly the same. Not worth it if u don’t like the location.
anonymous1231231
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by confused5409)
I wouldn’t really pick a university purely on rankings. The employability and experience would be pretty similar, just your choice. Maybe a good idea so you don’t have 4 LNAT uni choices.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (583)
80.19%
Leave (144)
19.81%

Watched Threads