The Student Room Group

GCSE's and university

I was wondering whether you need GCSE certificates/qualifications to go to university when you already have a college qualification. I know someone who is planning to go to university as a mature student. They did a BTEC course but because they immigrated to England at a later age (around 22), going to school was out of the question. Any responses and help would be highly appreciated. Thank you!
Original post by Limchi
I was wondering whether you need GCSE certificates/qualifications to go to university when you already have a college qualification. I know someone who is planning to go to university as a mature student. They did a BTEC course but because they immigrated to England at a later age (around 22), going to school was out of the question. Any responses and help would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

universities treat foreign students differently as regards gcses. The fact your friend came from abroad he wouldnt have sat gcses. His best action will be contact the universities and get their advice.
Oh yes you do mate
Reply 3
Original post by nabilahhh
Oh yes you do mate

Oh no you don't.

#panto

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Oh no you don't.

#panto

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?
Reply 5
Original post by nabilahhh
Really?

OP is talking about an international student. GCSEs aren't relevant.
Reply 6
OP is talking about an international student. GCSEs aren't relevant.

So he would be counted as an international student? I have a Biometric resident permit and I’m counted as a home student. He’s not on a student VISA. Actually, I’m pretty sure he has the same VISA as me because he’s been here for 6 years. Student VISAs aren’t that long for England. A lot of people think he was raised here in England. I’m certain he wouldn’t have any problems with essays considering the amount of homework and stuff we are given back in my country. However, I do acknowledge that English education institutions do not accept qualifications from other countries. It’s a shame though; Asian countries are usually two steps ahead of the game in regards to education. But anyways, you’re suggesting that he basically doesn’t have a chance at going to university despite having college qualifications, huh?
Universities consider the application in the context it's made. They aren't going to expect a student who did their schooling in another country originally to have the same qualifications as someone who did their schooling in the UK. However they will expect a broadly comparable level of competency in the relevant academic areas. This isn't the same as expecting them to have taken those exact same GCSE exams.

This is separate to any fee status considerations.
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
Universities consider the application in the context it's made. They aren't going to expect a student who did their schooling in another country originally to have the same qualifications as someone who did their schooling in the UK. However they will expect a broadly comparable level of competency in the relevant academic areas. This isn't the same as expecting them to have taken those exact same GCSE exams.

This is separate to any fee status considerations.

So what evidence will he have to give to show his academic competency? He has the GCSE equivalent from our country (which will obviously be disregarded because my year 7 results were disregarded by my high school here in England 🙄) and a science BTEC course certificate from here. Will it depend on individual universities? How would he have to fill out the education section on UCAS? I won’t worry too much about funding because he probably will count as a home student.
Original post by Limchi
So what evidence will he have to give to show his academic competency? He has the GCSE equivalent from our country (which will obviously be disregarded because my year 7 results were disregarded by my high school here in England 🙄) and a science BTEC course certificate from here. Will it depend on individual universities? How would he have to fill out the education section on UCAS? I won’t worry too much about funding because he probably will count as a home student.

Essentially all secondary school qualifications need to be declared on the UCAS application. However the GCSE level work is generally unimportant for degree applications even for UK students, so I wouldn't focus on that. Just enter the equivalent content and then the BTEC results; the 6th form work (e.g. BTEC level 3 qualifications, A-levels, IB etc) is usually the main basis for university admission here. Check the entry criteria for the courses being applied to to ensure the qualifications meet those criteria, and if in doubt, contact the universities directly.
Reply 10
Original post by artful_lounger
Essentially all secondary school qualifications need to be declared on the UCAS application. However the GCSE level work is generally unimportant for degree applications even for UK students, so I wouldn't focus on that. Just enter the equivalent content and then the BTEC results; the 6th form work (e.g. BTEC level 3 qualifications, A-levels, IB etc) is usually the main basis for university admission here. Check the entry criteria for the courses being applied to to ensure the qualifications meet those criteria, and if in doubt, contact the universities directly.

What would the equivalent content be? Also a lot of entry requirements for the universities that I have looked at have stated that they want a C for GCSE Maths and English. The only qualification he’s got from an English institution is the BTEC level 3 qualification.
Original post by Limchi
What would the equivalent content be? Also a lot of entry requirements for the universities that I have looked at have stated that they want a C for GCSE Maths and English. The only qualification he’s got from an English institution is the BTEC level 3 qualification.

Contact the universities in question.
Reply 12
Thank you for your help, I’ll ask him to do so.
Reply 13
Original post by swanseajack1
universities treat foreign students differently as regards gcses. The fact your friend came from abroad he wouldnt have sat gcses. His best action will be contact the universities and get their advice.

Yeah with that 10k to 38k annual tuition fee, they couldn’t have made it more painfully obvious how differently they treat international students.
Reply 14
Original post by Limchi
However, I do acknowledge that English education institutions do not accept qualifications from other countries.

Yes they do in very many cases.

Which country are you talking about?

Original post by Limchi

As we've said many times, an international applicant isn't expected to have GCSEs. They might need IELTS or similar to satisfy a English language requirement though.

Original post by Limchi
Yeah with that 10k to 38k annual tuition fee, they couldn’t have made it more painfully obvious how differently they treat international students.

There are plenty of UK universities that don't have £38k fees for internationals.

Which course and universities are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
Yes they do in very many cases.

Which country are you talking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nepal.
Reply 16
Original post by Limchi
Nepal.

Their BTEC will be fine, and see my edit above.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Their BTEC will be fine, and see my edit above.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That answers all the questions I have. I will keep posting questions if any problems are encountered by him. Many thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending