The Student Room Group

Am I going to get kicked off my university course?

(Welsh uni) I plagiarised by 70%, I’m not making up excuses as I know how serious this is but it was my first ever university assignment, I struggled, going through personal problems, didn’t get the help I needed and thought I paraphrased well enough but obviously not. I have a meeting next week with the university to discuss it further.

Is it possible I could get kicked off my course? It’s my first time making this mistake and I’ve completly learnt my lesson. I really don’t want to be kicked off. Any advice would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

They may let you off with a warning, but I think there will be serious repercussions for this - they may fail you in this one module and let you carry on with the rest. You can still progress to next year having failed one module unless your university requires you to pass all of them. In that case you can insist they allow exam capped at 40% for this module.

Best of luck and just be honest - let them know about your problems. I hope it works out. :smile:
yea i copied 1 % of mine and they banned me from ever going to any universtiyy again in the whole wide world :frown:
Tbh they won’t because it depends how you plagiarised. Like if you referenced then I doubt it but let’s hope you don’t. I had around 50% and they never said anything about my plagiarism and I passed
Original post by Aimlees
(Welsh uni) I plagiarised by 70%, I’m not making up excuses as I know how serious this is but it was my first ever university assignment, I struggled, going through personal problems, didn’t get the help I needed and thought I paraphrased well enough but obviously not. I have a meeting next week with the university to discuss it further.

Is it possible I could get kicked off my course? It’s my first time making this mistake and I’ve completly learnt my lesson. I really don’t want to be kicked off. Any advice would be appreciated.

Most likely a warning and maybe your mark capped.
It's very unlikely that you'll be expelled from the uni.
Anti-plagiarism checks do differentiate between verbatim "copy n pasting" and students paraphrasing in their own words but forgetting to cite references appropriately

Most likely the university will ask you if you understand how to reference and offer you assistance to avoid the same problem in future.
You may have to repeat the assignment or be subject to a fail/marking cap at 40%.
Original post by billyskip292
yea i copied 1 % of mine and they banned me from ever going to any universtiyy again in the whole wide world :frown:

that can't be
Original post by ···

that can't be

It's not even worth narrowing fictional eyebrows over.
You'll be put on the secret blacklist. The'll pretend like its ok so that when nothing in your life goes right from now on you wont know who to blame.
Original post by Aimlees

Wow, did you do the assignment at the last minute? Because if you did chances are you couldn’t make changes to lower the 70% similarity on time. But to be honest you will likely have to do the assignment again with the maximum mark being capped at 40%. I genuinely feel sorry for you. 😢
Original post by Aimlees

Oh my... 70% is too serious. Doesn't your university provide a plagiarism checker? That's Essential in academic life... It's always better to try harder and make your paper as original as possible, and checking for plagiarism is crucial. Universities even expel students for such misdeeds... I truly hope you won't get the highest penalty and you will learn this lesson well. It would be fair enough to let you rewrite the assignment from A to Z.
Be honest...be contrite...receive warning.

A
Original post by Mr Aitch
Be honest...be contrite...receive warning.

A

Naive. You should lie, lie and lie.
Original post by Aimlees

i dont think you'll get kicked out. That's very unlikely. Most probably you will fail the course and have to retake. Sometimes unis set monetary fines.
Why did you do it in the first place? I know you were going through problems but why did you do it knowing that they will get checked?
Original post by Akuma
Naive. You should lie, lie and lie.

Yes - I've found that to ALWAYS pay off in Life...

A
Depends on if you copied and pasted or didn't paraphrase "well enough"
Original post by Mr Aitch
Yes - I've found that to ALWAYS pay off in Life...

A

Of course it does. Unless you're really bad at it. Look at successful people. They lie all the time.
Original post by Akuma
Of course it does. Unless you're really bad at it. Look at successful people. They lie all the time.

Like Michael Cohen in the US?
Or Chris Huhne.
Original post by londonmyst
Like Michael Cohen in the US?
Or Chris Huhne.

They were just crap.

Like Elizabeth the first when she told the Spannish that the pirates stealing their treasure were nothing to do with her.
(edited 5 years ago)
Waiiit if its your first year don’t know worry much
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest