What does UCL mean by computer science degrees are not accredited by the IET?

Watch
GFSBPBE
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I received an email at 16:00 saying that UCL partially met the requirements and UCL chose not to be accredited by IET for courses starting September 2019 (my starting year). I remember UCL talking about IET on their open day like it was very unique and important - I would like more information about the exact impact of IET no longer accrediting Computer Science degrees from UCL.
Gloriawang
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
also received email. Is this situation only applied on Bsc G400?
the_queen
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gloriawang)
also received email. Is this situation only applied on Bsc G400?
Do you have an update? Did you start your degrèe? Details about accredotation? Thank you!
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by the_queen)
Do you have an update? Did you start your degrèe? Details about accredotation? Thank you!
Given they only have 7 posts and this is over a year old, I dont think you'll be getting a reply.

But Im pretty sure it means its not accredited by the Institute of Engineering & technology.

And if you go to the webpage for BSc UCL CompSci sure enough no organisation has accredited the program.
the_queen
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mnot)
Given they only have 7 posts and this is over a year old, I dont think you'll be getting a reply.

But Im pretty sure it means its not accredited by the Institute of Engineering & technology.

And if you go to the webpage for BSc UCL CompSci sure enough no organisation has accredited the program.
Thank you.
How not being accredited will affect graduates or job seekers or employment?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you.
I don’t know for computer science tbh.

I would look into if being a chartered professional software engineer is important in industry. If it is looked at by industry leading employers then go for an accredited degree, if employers can take it or leave it then I wouldn’t worry.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you.
It won't. The IET primarily accredit electronic and electrical engineering degrees; computer science degrees are more typically accredited by the BCS. While accreditation matters in engineering for reaching CEng status (which isn't even strictly necessary to have a career in engineering), the computing sector is not the engineering sector and there isn't an equivalent postnominal that I'm aware of which matters in the sector.

Employers in the computing sector will care far more about your relevant work experience in the sector, and the extent to which you have documented and compiled a porfolio of work on e.g. github of your (usually self-directed) projects and programs etc. Your degree, and any accreditation attached, is just a means to that end of getting such work experience and developing such a portfolio...simply having a CS degree, accredited or not, will not make you any more employable than anyone else with any other degree (be it in CS or in some entirely unrelated field like classics) either within the computing sector or outside of it.

If you're worrying about accreditation, you're focusing on the wrong thing, in my opinion.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
the_queen
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mnot)
I don’t know for computer science tbh.

I would look into if being a chartered professional software engineer is important in industry. If it is looked at by industry leading employers then go for an accredited degree, if employers can take it or leave it then I wouldn’t worry.
(Original post by artful_lounger)
It won't. The IET primarily accredit electronic and electrical engineering degrees; computer science degrees are more typically accredited by the BCS. While accreditation matters in engineering for reaching CEng status (which isn't even strictly necessary to have a career in engineering), the computing sector is not the engineering sector and there isn't an equivalent postnominal that I'm aware of which matters in the sector.

Employers in the computing sector will care far more about your relevant work experience in the sector, and the extent to which you have documented and compiled a porfolio of work on e.g. github of your (usually self-directed) projects and programs etc. Your degree, and any accreditation attached, is just a means to that end of getting such work experience and developing such a portfolio...simply having a CS degree, accredited or not, will not make you any more employable than anyone else with any other degree (be it in CS or in some entirely unrelated field like classics) either within the computing sector or outside of it.

If you're worrying about accreditation, you're focusing on the wrong thing.
Thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (13)
14.94%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (17)
19.54%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
18.39%

Watched Threads