The Student Room Group

Why do Schools make it out to be that A-Levels are the only way

I joined a Sixth Form assuming I'd like the subjects I'd choose, this was a few months ago, I didn't like my subjects and I knew I wouldn't make it 2 years with subjects I would hate so I did the 'unthinkable' and dropped out.

I began looking at my options before I finally found a course I would like to do, a UAL in a subject I actually want to do which wasn't available at A-Level, this way I can do my 2 years at college and go on to Uni like any other Tom, **** or Harry.

If a student knows for certain that he or she wants to or has to do A-Levels to get to where they're heading then go for it, but it seems like from Year 11 teachers, form tutors and fellow pupils make it out to be that A-Levels are the only option, I regret not looking at my options prior to everything, I wish I had looked at my options more thoroughly.

Thoughts
probably because they want as many people as they can to stay on... even if those people aren't suited for a-levels.
yes very true!

i felt it was all just the norm to do a levels - no one really explained BTECs or diplomas. even with 1:1 careers they just said you need xyz to get on to a levels.

i did the same as you - did one year and dropped out. now studying for a lev 3 in childcare which gvies me equivalent of 3 a levels as well as a license to practice - not to mention it is a lot more specific to what I want to go into!
I think it's easiest for them - everwhere takes A-levels. Once you get into diplomas and national certificates it gets more nuanced in terms of who takes what.
Reply 4
My teacher complained about this exact problem and every other teacher argued with her. The head of sixthform eventually pulled her into a meeting and said she was corrupting the students minds. All she said was that university is not the only way and simple things like apprenticeships still exist out there and students should be given the full range of options.
Feeding into the capitalist system.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest