Medic06
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
The Physician Associate course is a self-funded course, at some Universities anyway, unfortunately including the one I have been accepted for. Having now applied for a grant to cover the tuition fees, it has come to light that the grant does not cover the whole course cost, only half.

That said, I have read somewhere that due to the nature of the course, students starting MSc Physician Associate Studies courses are able to apply for a loan similar to the undergraduate and receive the full course fees? Anyone have any information on this? I can’t really see it being true, but we can only hope!!!
SFE Rebecca
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Medic06)
The Physician Associate course is a self-funded course, at some Universities anyway, unfortunately including the one I have been accepted for. Having now applied for a grant to cover the tuition fees, it has come to light that the grant does not cover the whole course cost, only half.

That said, I have read somewhere that due to the nature of the course, students starting MSc Physician Associate Studies courses are able to apply for a loan similar to the undergraduate and receive the full course fees? Anyone have any information on this? I can’t really see it being true, but we can only hope!!!
Hi,

Unfortunately you would not be eligible to apply for the undergraduate support for this type of course.

Could you provide your full course information and I will look into any other possible support?

Thanks, Rebecca.
Medic06
Rep:
?
Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for replying to my thread.

The course is a 2 year pre-registration MSc in Physician Associate studies, some of the other students say that have been informed, that because the course is post-registration, we are able to apply for all the fees to be paid for, in place of a normal post-grad loan of £10,609.

This is apparently why the NHS pulled their funding, this being one of the first non-funded courses, it is very difficult to find any information and decipher what is fact and what is hearsay.

I had already applied and been accepted for the post-grant loan prior to learning of the above information, but with that loan, I am already thinking I am not going to be able to do the course, the savings I have built up are enough to pay my living whilst at Uni, I was banking on the course fees being paid or sponsored if you like.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Ryan.
Last edited by Medic06; 10 months ago
SFE Nihad
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for replying to my thread.

The course is a 2 year pre-registration MSc in Physician Associate studies, some of the other students say that have been informed, that because the course is post-registration, we are able to apply for all the fees to be paid for, in place of a normal post-grad loan of £10,609.

This is apparently why the NHS pulled their funding, this being one of the first non-funded courses, it is very difficult to find any information and decipher what is fact and what is hearsay.

I had already applied and been accepted for the post-grant loan prior to learning of the above information, but with that loan, I am already thinking I am not going to be able to do the course, the savings I have built up are enough to pay my living whilst at Uni, I was banking on the course fees being paid or sponsored if you like.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Ryan.
Hi Ryan,

Physician Associate Studies are not part of the Postgraduate Healthcare Courses that would attract undergraduate funding, they will only attract postgraduate funding. The only other available product you are eligible for aside from the contribution based Postgraduate Loan is Disabled Students' Allowance if applicable.

Best wishes,
Nihad
Medic06
Rep:
?
Hi Nihad,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I have been talking to SFE today, and been instructed to apply for a Post-grad Healthcare loan through the undergraduate option, they will then assess to see if the course will be eligible, which it is likely it will be, being a "Pre-registration" course, similar to Nursing, midwifery etc.

Also, I have emailed the University i am attending and asked if they could potentially send some information to the SFE, backing up the claims that it is indeed a pre-reg course, this will help with the decision.

We are the first cohort, that I am aware of, which is not receiving funding via the NHS, and I am led to believe this was pulled due to the PA course falling into the the same funding brackets as the above mentioned professions.

It would be of great help to future students if facts and advice that were given out were known to be 100%, as a lot of applicants are already struggling to find the extra £8,000 ish, and I suspect some will withdraw from the course.

I am glad I have researched this and spoken to various different people, as if I had waited and took your post as gospel, I would be struggling myself. Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, I do not mean it to be so. Just trying to get to the bottom of the matter.

Kind Regards,

Ryan.
SFE Nihad
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi Nihad,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I have been talking to SFE today, and been instructed to apply for a Post-grad Healthcare loan through the undergraduate option, they will then assess to see if the course will be eligible, which it is likely it will be, being a "Pre-registration" course, similar to Nursing, midwifery etc.

Also, I have emailed the University i am attending and asked if they could potentially send some information to the SFE, backing up the claims that it is indeed a pre-reg course, this will help with the decision.

We are the first cohort, that I am aware of, which is not receiving funding via the NHS, and I am led to believe this was pulled due to the PA course falling into the the same funding brackets as the above mentioned professions.

It would be of great help to future students if facts and advice that were given out were known to be 100%, as a lot of applicants are already struggling to find the extra £8,000 ish, and I suspect some will withdraw from the course.

I am glad I have researched this and spoken to various different people, as if I had waited and took your post as gospel, I would be struggling myself. Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, I do not mean it to be so. Just trying to get to the bottom of the matter.

Kind Regards,

Ryan.

Hi Ryan,

The issue does not stem from whether the course is pre-registration or not. When we check the Course Management Service that we share with universities to check the eligibility of a course, a number of these courses will have the pre-registration tag, but they will still not attract the undergraduate funding. Physician Associate Studies are not Postgraduate Healthcare Courses.

Eligible Postgraduate Healthcare Courses are:

-Postgraduate Nursing
-Postgraduate Midwifery
-Postgraduate Allied Health Professional Courses

For a student to be classed as an Allied Health Professional (AHP) they will need to be studying a course from the list below:

• -Chiropody
  • -Dietetics
  • -Dietetics and Nutrition (The individual course nutrition is not a valid AHP course)
  • -Occupational Therapy
  • -Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
  • -Orthoptics
  • -Physiotherapy
  • -Podiatry
  • -Prosthetics and Orthotics
  • -Radiography
  • -Radiotherapy
  • -Speech and Language Therapy

Warm regards,
Nihad
Medic06
Rep:
?
Hi Nihad,

Again, thank you for your reply.

The course is relatively new, and yes, it is not listed, but there is no reason why it cannot be added to the list that you have pointed out.

I am getting mixed messaged from the SFE, most have said to apply and go from there, you are saying different, who are the students supposed to believe?

Even warmer regards,

Ryan.
Last edited by Medic06; 10 months ago
SFE Nihad
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi Nihad,

Again, thank you for your reply.

The course is relatively new, and yes, it is not listed, but there is no reason why it cannot be added to the list that you have pointed out.

I am getting mixed messaged from the SFE, most have said to apply and go from there, you are saying different, who are the students supposed to believe?

Even warmer regards,

Ryan.
Hi Ryan,

The Student Loans Company including Student Finance England was established to administer student finance within the policy context and legislative framework laid down by the government, we do not have access to amend the list. The information I am providing you with directly comes from the policies we're administering now. I can only apologise if you were given incorrect information over the phone. I have gone over this with our Assessment Team just in case to ensure that I am giving you the correct information and they have confirmed so.

Wishing you the best with your studies

Kind regards,
Nihad
Medic06
Rep:
?
Hi Nihad,

Very much appreciate you taking the time to look into this for me, I shall pass this on to the others.

Have a good Christmas and New Year,

Kind Regards,

Ryan.
SFE Nihad
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi Nihad,

Very much appreciate you taking the time to look into this for me, I shall pass this on to the others.

Have a good Christmas and New Year,

Kind Regards,

Ryan.
Hi Ryan,

You are very welcome! Please do not hesitate to get in touch again if you've got any further questions about your funding or anything at all

Thank you for the lovely wishes, I hope you have a great Christmas and New Year yourself and your loved ones!

Best wishes,
Nihad
SFE Aaron
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi Ryan,

If you do have any further questions at all please feel free to contact us on facebook or twitter and we can look into the account after asking a few security questions.

Twitter - https://twitter.com/messages/compose...t_id=113388430

Facebook - http://m.me/SFEngland

Kind regards, Aaron.
Medic06
Rep:
?
What if I dont have either? ha

I do have a question though, I applied for the MSc loan and was awarded this, I then received information saying I was entitled to an undergrad type loan due to the nature of the course, but, having spoke to Nihad, whom quite rightly put me in my place and fully explain this was not the case, it transpires I am not entitled and indeed was awarded the correct loan. But, I have already sent off the change of circumstances form cancelling the loan, based on information I was given from an SFE member. SFE told me to write a follow up letter explaining this and stating I requite the loan to be reinstated, is this correct?
Lynsey SFE
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
What if I dont have either? ha

I do have a question though, I applied for the MSc loan and was awarded this, I then received information saying I was entitled to an undergrad type loan due to the nature of the course, but, having spoke to Nihad, whom quite rightly put me in my place and fully explain this was not the case, it transpires I am not entitled and indeed was awarded the correct loan. But, I have already sent off the change of circumstances form cancelling the loan, based on information I was given from an SFE member. SFE told me to write a follow up letter explaining this and stating I requite the loan to be reinstated, is this correct?
Hello Ryan,

If you don’t have access to Facebook or Twitter, you will need to call us on 0300 100 0607 so we can look in to your Postgraduate Loan.
Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am – 8pm and 9am- 4pm on Saturday.

Thanks, Lynsey.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (135)
54%
18-20 years old (no) (30)
12%
20-25 years old (yes) (39)
15.6%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.6%
25-30 years old (yes) (18)
7.2%
25-30 years old (no) (0)
0%
30-40 years old (yes) (12)
4.8%
30-40 years old (no) (1)
0.4%
40+ years old (yes) (5)
2%
40+ years old (no) (6)
2.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise