The Student Room Group

I stupidly shoplifted

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amosmoran
I return you to previous answers.

And I thank God that the law doesn't revolve around your small minded thoughts........
hun don't worry

everything happens for a reason. important thing is, you've experienced this now whilst you're relatively young so you won't make the same mistake again!

if it's your first offence then surely it'd just be a caution?

depending on your line of work it may be best to open up to your employers - they'd prefer for you to tell them rather than them being told. it'll also make you look better.

but that's just me

lets just be thankful you're here to tell the story and not in prison <3
And I thank God that the law doesn't revolve around your small minded thoughts........

Thank god the law doesnt waste money holding jury trails when people plead guilty as you seem to think it should.
Oh no
(Original post by Anonymous)Thank god the law doesnt waste money holding jury trails when people plead guilty as you seem to think it should.

You're starting to digress now - do you feel as though you're fighting an uphill battle?
(Original post by Anonymous)Thank god the law doesnt waste money holding jury trails when people plead guilty as you seem to think it should.

You're starting to digress now - do you feel as though you're fighting an uphill battle?

You said it. Nobody is a criminal unless found guilty in a trail.
Please spell trial correctly. Im starting to pity you now.
Original post by lesleylogan
Like the subject says I was caught shoplifting this morning and I am now so ashamed, no excuse as I shouldnt have done it under any circumstances.

Worried now I could end up losing my job if my employers find out as today I was on annual leave.

Wondered if anyone has words of advice or even knows someone who has been in this situation?

O'kay, indeed, stealing is immoral... but a blouse and a cardigan... I'd never call it a crime. Now all servants of justice will eat me alive, right? My point is, the world is sinking due to consumerism, money craze is becoming even worse, prices are often unfairly enhanced... I think even good quality clothes should be made cheaper as not everyone can afford to purchase something new when needed. I also once struggled to buy winter boots because I had to pay rent. So this part of me completely understands your misdeed; if you feel guilty and truly sorry, you deserve to be forgiven. The offense is not so serious to spoil a person's life. Anyway, even celebrities steal but they mainly do it for the sake of a silly adventure, though even famous people can shoplift due to some awkward mental state. Winona Ryder comes to my mind. Yes, she shoplifted and paid for it (including three years of probation, community service and a fine), but it didn't make me like this actress less. Wishing you better days ahead!
Please spell trial correctly. Im starting to pity you now.

Please put an apostrophe in I'm in future.
Original post by Anonymous
Please put an apostrophe in I'm in future.

I didnt think you'd notice.
I didnt think you'd notice.

Ok then Mr "I point out typos because I lost the argument".
Just getting bored to tell the truth (and suggest its not a typo if you keep on doing it). The law of the country says you are wrong. You seem to avoid this simple fact. RSVP X.
(edited 5 years ago)
Just getting bored to tell the truth. The law of the country says you are wrong. You seem to avoid this simple fact. RSVP X.

The law doesn't say you have to be found guilty in a trail to be a criminal. That would be absurd in cases where the person admits guilt.
Original post by Anonymous
The law doesn't say you have to be found guilty in a trail to be a criminal. That would be absurd in cases where the person admits guilt.

Which bit dont you get? If no criminal conviction, not a criminal. You might get people with warped ideas of reality, who believe their own thing, but its quite clear on the government website regarding criminal convictions. Its like being called a murderer, but not been convicted of murder. Doesnt make sense. If you dont like the law, and want to stop appearing foolish, try and do something to change it, rather than just hiding behind a keyboard as 'anonymous'
Which bit dont you get? If no criminal conviction, not a criminal. You might get people with warped ideas of reality, who believe their own thing, but its quite clear on the government website regarding criminal convictions. Its like being called a murderer, but not been convicted of murder. Doesnt make sense. If you dont like the law, and want to stop appearing foolish, try and do something to change it, rather than just hiding behind a keyboard as 'anonymous'

So you don't think that the act of murdering its self makes somebody a criminal? I think you're confusing the courts method of provingh that somebody is a criminal with the reality of whether or not a person actually is a criminal.

A person becomes a criminal at the point at which the commit murder. The court then tries to prove that they are infact a criminal. A criminal being a person that commitedf a crime. As we can see from the dictionary.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/criminal

Its actually not so difficult to understand.

That isn't murder. And so a jury would conclude that the person isnt a criminal, because they arent, because it was self defense.

In a case where it was murder, and not self defense, the person would be a criminal.

That isnt murder, because it was self defense. In that case a jury would decide that the person isnt a criminal, because they arent.

In a case where it was murder and the person admitted it, they wouldnt need to be "found guilty" to be a criminal.
Getting bored again Google the etymology of the phrase 'a murder of crows', then email to a person of your choice.........
Hopefully the punishment will make you consider your actions before thieving again. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending