The Student Room Group

Cardiff Dentistry 2019 entry MMI prep/practise/help thread

Heya guys :hello:
First of all, CONGRATS to all of you who have interviews!!!

I couldn't find a thread dedicated to Cardiff 2019 entry so i thought i'd make one.

Feel free to discuss other uni's interviews too, I just wanted to bring together people who have Cardiff interviews bc i don't know anyone else who's got one.

Introduce yourselves:
1. Name and stats (optional)
2. Where you're from - Cardiff
3. Where else you're applying - Queens Belfast, Sheffield, Bristol
4. Is Cardiff your first choice? - Yup
5. Have you had any other interviews yet? How were they? - none yet
6. Share any interview tips you have
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by curiousclouds

I couldn't find a thread dedicated to Cardiff 2019 entry so i thought i'd make one.

Feel free to discuss other uni's interviews too, I just wanted to bring together people who have Cardiff interviews bc i don't know anyone else who's got one.

Introduce yourselves:

I might make a whatsapp group chat if enough people are interested, lmk if you'd join :smile:

Hey, I applied to cardiff, bristol and sheffield too, had my bristol interview already. Have you got an invite for bristol and what are your stats?
Original post by sachind01
Hey, I applied to cardiff, bristol and sheffield too, had my bristol interview already. Have you got an invite for bristol and what are your stats?

I got rejected from Bristol, dont know why though because my stats meet their requirements, its just my ukcat thats really low

GCSEs: 5A* 4A 2B, (A* in eng lang and maths)
AS: BBC (resitting chem)
A2 predictions: AAA
UKCAT: around 548 avg (also I had an issue with my computer which is a whole other story haha)

How was your Bristol interview? and have you heard back from Sheffield or Cardiff?
(edited 4 years ago)
I got rejected from Bristol, dont know why though because my stats meet their requirements, its just my ukcat thats really low

UKCAT: 2190, 548 avg

How was your Bristol interview? and have you heard back from Sheffield or Cardiff?

I have an interview for Cardiff in Jan and Sheffield don't get back to applicants until mid January, so only Cardiff.

UKCAT: 2190, 548 avg

My Bristol interview went okay, it wasn't brilliant.
I have an interview for Cardiff in Jan and Sheffield don't get back to applicants until mid January, so only Cardiff.

I'm sure it went better than you think, at least you still have Cardiff and hopefully Sheffield.

What are your stats?
I'm sure it went better than you think, at least you still have Cardiff and hopefully Sheffield.

What are your stats?

10A* 2A gcses
3A* predicted
735 Band 2 ukcat

my school doesn't do AS unfortunately, all my exams are at the end of year 13. :frown:
10A* 2A gcses
3A* predicted
735 Band 2 ukcat

my school doesn't do AS unfortunately, all my exams are at the end of year 13. :frown:

omg your stats are amazing :O
oof that sounds horrible :shock:, can barely cope with Y13 work as it is
omg your stats are amazing :O
oof that sounds horrible :shock:, can barely cope with Y13 work as it is

Thanks. Yeah tell me about it... year 13 Is So much harder than year 12 ๐Ÿ˜“
Thanks. Yeah tell me about it... year 13 Is So much harder than year 12 ๐Ÿ˜“

swear we all took yr 12 for granted, everyone said the jump from gcse to AS is hard, but NO ONE talks about the jump from AS to A2 esp for chem and bio
swear we all took yr 12 for granted, everyone said the jump from gcse to AS is hard, but NO ONE talks about the jump from AS to A2 esp for chem and bio

Yeah defo, what exam boards are you doing for chem and bio?
Yeah defo, what exam boards are you doing for chem and bio?

I do bio, chem and phys, WJEC for all hbu?

And what day is your Cardiff interview? Mines on the 14th
(edited 5 years ago)
I do bio, chem and phys, WJEC for all hbu?

And what day is your Cardiff interview? Mines on the 14th

mine is the 16th, I do ocr a for both bio and chem... have you started prepping?
mine is the 16th, I do ocr a for both bio and chem... have you started prepping?

Yeah kind of,
I've got the Marian Coll interview book and the medic portal medicine interview course book (from a friend)

I've had 3 (informal) mock interviews with a med student friend and my school ucas officer, and I've done some casual practise in my frees at school with friends who are applying for dentistry/medicine.

but i still feel nowhere near ready :worried::unsure:

How about you? Have you found any other books/courses helpful? Its soo difficult to find up-to-date dentistry specific stuff
Yeah kind of,
I've got the Marian Coll interview book and the medic portal medicine interview course book (from a friend)

I've had 3 (informal) mock interviews with a med student friend and my school ucas officer, and I've done some casual practise in my frees at school with friends who are applying for dentistry/medicine.

but i still feel nowhere near ready :worried::unsure:

How about you? Have you found any other books/courses helpful? Its soo difficult to find up-to-date dentistry specific stuff

I have the Marian Coll book too. Unfortunately, i found it to be completely useless for my bristol interview. Lets hope its more useful for cardiff. XD I've just learnt you cant really prepare for these interviews so much, they're quite random lol. But its a good read nevertheless, im sure itll come useful at some point lol. Yeah Ive had 1 mock panel and 2 or 3 mock mmis at my school, they were useful, but personally i prefered the panel interview. I dont think anyone every feels ready for an interview lol. I find it really hard to find up to date dentistry stuff too, its usually old news, or indirectly related to dentistry.
I have the Marian Coll book too. Unfortunately, i found it to be completely useless for my bristol interview. Lets hope its more useful for cardiff. XD I've just learnt you cant really prepare for these interviews so much, they're quite random lol. But its a good read nevertheless, im sure itll come useful at some point lol. Yeah Ive had 1 mock panel and 2 or 3 mock mmis at my school, they were useful, but personally i prefered the panel interview. I dont think anyone every feels ready for an interview lol. I find it really hard to find up to date dentistry stuff too, its usually old news, or indirectly related to dentistry.

I prefer panel too and i guess we'll just have to practise as much as possible lol cant really do anything else
It looks like most unis are mainly testing if we can spontaneously and logically think on our feet

Also have you found any interesting research articles? Most of the ones i've looked up are way to complex for me to understand let alone talk about at interview
Original post by ella4abc
Hey, has anyone had a bristol interview recently?

Yeah I have. Mine was on the 5th of December

Introduce yourselves:

Hey guys so I applied to Cardiff Leeds Manchester and QMUL
Ive got interviews from all of them but idk how to prepare at all
Original post by casualchaos
Hey guys so I applied to Cardiff Leeds Manchester and QMUL
Ive got interviews from all of them but idk how to prepare at all