Taran29
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm choosing my A levels soon and I can't decide between sociology or psychology. I don't really know the difference. Could anyone care to explain.

I'm choosing:
Business studies
Computer science
Psychology/sociology

I've read a few books that look into the minds of individuals and society like:
The power of habit
How to lie with statistics
Irresistible: Why you are addicted to technology and how to set yourself free

It's not much, I know but I do have an interest in this sort of thing and I watch a lot of productivity videos/articles that talk a lot about how our brains work and utilizing them to the best way. I guess this links into psychology?

I've heard psychology is hard and there is a lot off essay writing. I'm not good at essays and I don't enjoy them one bit. I know I'm kinda being fussy here but I don't want to do something that I will hate for 2 years (made that mistake with GCSE).
Alisha999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
I did Alevel Pschology so could give you thoughts on that based on my experience.
I got an A for Alevel, purely because Psychology really fascinated me. I'm afraid if you don't like essays/not good at them you should think of another subject. Because I'm no expert in Sociology as I've never studied it but im pretty sure that both Sociology and Psycholoy are content heavy and therefore are essay heavy too.
Psychology is about the brain and also about the way we interpret things, it all depends on what topics your school chooses. I did, gender,phobias,social influence,attachment,memory,schi zophrenia and forensic.
Forensic and schizophrenia were my least favourite topics (A2 topics) yet all the others especially memory, attachment and social influence I really enjoyed.

As far as im aware I'm guessing Sociology is more to do with society and whereas Psychology is more to do with the individual and their behaviour in relation to those around them. Either way both subjects I'm sure involve case studies and essays.

To be honest, I personally don't think Sociology or Psychology fit well with the other subjects you've chosen (Business and Computer science) as they are not essay heavy..
Why don't you think about something like Economics, Product and Design etc.

Decision is obviously yours I have just given you my advice

Good luck with your decision. My PM is open if you want to discuss anything further in regards to Psychology
username4217900
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you considering university after? If so what course(s) interest you?
username3417448
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am currently studying both psychology and sociology and both of them are heavily essay based. Psychology is more scientific and has mathematics if that interests you. In my opinion I find sociology easier than psychology but I find psychology more interesting as its more scientific. Hope this helps.
Taran29
Rep:
?
(Original post by rumatar)
Are you considering university after? If so what course(s) interest you?
I'm not. I want to be a pilot so I will go to flight school. I know that these subjects that I'm choosing aren't related to aviation but there isn't really much that is that my school offers. Of course, there is Physics and Maths but I'm really not good at them at GCSE so I would suffer at A level. I figure it's more important to do subjects I enjoy and do good in than it is to do subjects I'm not good at and do bad in for the sake of it looking good to airlines (which it won't if I do bad)
username4217900
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Taran29)
I'm not. I want to be a pilot so I will go to flight school. I know that these subjects that I'm choosing aren't related to aviation but there isn't really much that is that my school offers. Of course, there is Physics and Maths but I'm really not good at them at GCSE so I would suffer at A level. I figure it's more important to do subjects I enjoy and do good in than it is to do subjects I'm not good at and do bad in for the sake of it looking good to airlines (which it won't if I do bad)
Yes a level maths and physics would help but aren’t a strict requirement. As long as you have money (£100k+) getting into pilot school isn’t all that difficult. My friend is doing a degree alongside his pilot training at bucks new uni that you might find interesting.
Taran29
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alisha999)
Hi,
I did Alevel Pschology so could give you thoughts on that based on my experience.
I got an A for Alevel, purely because Psychology really fascinated me. I'm afraid if you don't like essays/not good at them you should think of another subject. Because I'm no expert in Sociology as I've never studied it but im pretty sure that both Sociology and Psycholoy are content heavy and therefore are essay heavy too.
Psychology is about the brain and also about the way we interpret things, it all depends on what topics your school chooses. I did, gender,phobias,social influence,attachment,memory,schi zophrenia and forensic.
Forensic and schizophrenia were my least favourite topics (A2 topics) yet all the others especially memory, attachment and social influence I really enjoyed.

As far as im aware I'm guessing Sociology is more to do with society and whereas Psychology is more to do with the individual and their behaviour in relation to those around them. Either way both subjects I'm sure involve case studies and essays.

To be honest, I personally don't think Sociology or Psychology fit well with the other subjects you've chosen (Business and Computer science) as they are not essay heavy..
Why don't you think about something like Economics, Product and Design etc.

Decision is obviously yours I have just given you my advice

Good luck with your decision. My PM is open if you want to discuss anything further in regards to Psychology
My school doesn't do Economics but they have Finance. But I figure it's better to have some widespread options as I don't want to narrow my career options too much by doing Business and Finance.
Alisha999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yep I agree. It's totally up to you, choose wisely and let your subjects then vary so they open many opportunities for you in the future.

Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.53%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.23%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.72%

Watched Threads