Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently finalizing my A-level choices and was wondering what ones apart from chemistry, biology and environmental science would help with marine biology at university.

Not maths or physics I will fail those if I try.

I was thinking geology but I'm not sure how exactly that would help or if there are better subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieJane_1)
    I am currently finalizing my A-level choices and was wondering what ones apart from chemistry, biology and environmental science would help with marine biology at university.

I was thinking geology but I'm not sure how exactly that would help or if there are better subjects.
    To be honest you already have the ideal subjects for marine biology (biology and chemistry) so I wouldn't worry too much! Maths would be helpful (because assuming you want to go into science, maths is unavoidable and I think accepting this sooner rather than later would benefit you) but if you're insistent on not taking A Level Maths, it shouldn't cause you too many problems, at least as far as university admissions is concerned.

So basically, I'd take whatever you think you'd enjoy. Geology is a good shout, it's a fun subject and definitely has overlap with marine biology. Alternatively, what about Geography?

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry isn't that much different from Maths and Physics, also even as a biologist you will have to learn some fundamentals of statistics, definitely if you hope in a career as a researcher. If it is more of a hobby to you then go with Geology or behavioural science ...

ReputationRep:

you don't need a 4th do you? you have chosen the best 3. what universities are you thinking of?

edit: i'd be surprised at someone who could do well at chemistry but not maths, seeing as chemistry is the harder A level generally.

ReputationRep:
    Maths will already put you ahead of the competition when applying to almost any bachelor of science courses. Check what the websites for the unis you wish to apply to want by looking at the entry requirement section and go from there.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that I'm particularly bad at maths I just feel like it sucks the life out of me and chemistry interest me.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that I'm particularly bad at maths I just feel like it sucks the life out of me and chemistry interest me.
    As I've said already, you don't need to take A Level Maths to get into Marine Biology. Biology and Chemistry are the most important A Levels to be taking and as long as you can do well at them, you'll have no problems getting onto Marine Biology courses. However, it is an inescapable fact that, as a scientist, you will be doing maths. There will be maths involved in any decent Marine Biology degree (particularly statistics) and if you ever intend to go into research, it'll be important there too. I totally get that you find maths boring - my argument would be that, as a scientist, it's a skill you need to work on in order to do the things that you love. But as I say, it's up to you whether you want to confront that now or later.

ReputationRep:
    I’ve taken biology , geography and art for marine bio as I’m not too good at maths- all my unis have offered as geography counts as a second science x
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Hi EllieJane_1,

It sounds like you already have a great range of A Levels picked! Our course at Plymouth actually only requires Biology, but here's our entry reqs in case you wanted to have a look. Your subjects would certainly strengthen your application!

A levels: 120-144 points. Only A level Biology required. An example offer might be 128 points including B @ A level Biology and an A and B grade in two other A level subjects with no EPQ. Points can include a relevant Extended project (EPQ) but must include 3 A levels. Qualifying science subjects are: Applied Science, Applied Marine Science, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Geography, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, and Psychology. General Studies is not a qualifying A level.

I hope this helps - let me know if you'd like any more help/advice

- Seren, University of Plymouth Student Rep (FYI - I will be out of office from 21.12.18-02.01.19 but will reply as soon as I can after this period).

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.