Kilowatt Hour >>> (Watt-the-f!% ) - Can someone please explain this doub to me ? :) Watch

lewis.h
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
If a device transfers has a power transfer rating of 15kW in 20 minutes, does it have a kilowatt hour of 5 kWh, or 45 kWh ?
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The watt is the unit of power, which is the rate at which energy is transferred or transformed. One watt is one joule per second; the joule is the standard unit of energy but is awkwardly small for most real-world measurements. A kilowatt-hour is the amount of energy transferred, when energy is transferred at a rate of one thousand watts over an hour - a much larger and more useful unit of energy. So the device transfers energy at a rate of 15 kilowatts, but only does so for 1/3 of an hour, so it has transferred 5 kWh.

I hope this helps
Last edited by anosmianAcrimony; 3 months ago
lewis.h
Rep:
?
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
The watt is the unit of power, which is the rate at which energy is transferred or transformed. One watt is one joule per second; the joule is the standard unit of energy but is awkwardly small for most real-world measurements. A kilowatt-hour is the amount of energy transferred, when energy is transferred at a rate of one thousand watts over an hour - a much larger and more useful unit of energy. So the device transfers energy at a rate of 15 kilowatts, but only does so for 1/3 of an hour, so it has transferred 5 kWh.

I hope this helps
Hi there,

If the device has a power rating of 15 kW, doesn’t that’s mean it transfers 15 kW per second, as a Watt is a joule / second ? What about the value “15 kW” indicates it is per hour ?

Thanks for your help.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by lewis.h)
Hi there,

If the device has a power rating of 15 kW, doesn’t that’s mean it transfers 15 kW per second, as a Watt is a joule / second ? What about the value “15 kW” indicates it is per hour ?

Thanks for your help.
The device has a power rating of 15 kW, which means that it transfers 15 kilojoules per second. As you say, a watt is a joule/second. We never talk about power, or watts, being transferred - power is the rate at which energy is transferred.

So one watt is one joule/second. Multiplying by the number of seconds in an hour, we can also call one watt 3600 joules/hour. This is very similar to saying, okay, this object is moving at X miles per second, how fast is it moving in mph?

In any case, because 1 watt is 3600 joules/hour, 1 watt-hour is equal to 3600 joules and we can use watt-hours as a unit of energy. Again, when we say ''watt-hour'', we mean ''the amount of energy transferred in an hour when energy is transferred at a rate of 1 watt''.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If a device transfers has a power transfer rating of 15kW in 20 minutes, does it have a kilowatt hour of 5 kWh, or 45 kWh ?
A device has a power rating full-stop. It doesn't have one 'in' a given time - that would be an energy transfer.

Power is the rate of energy transfer, so energy = power * time. In this case, you want time in hours, so E=Pt=15kW * 1/3h = 5kWh.

You can think of it as speed (power) and distance travelled (energy transfered). If a car does 15mph, how far does it travel in 20 minutes?
lewis.h
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
A device has a power rating full-stop. It doesn't have one 'in' a given time - that would be an energy transfer.

Power is the rate of energy transfer, so energy = power * time. In this case, you want time in hours, so E=Pt=15kW * 1/3h = 5kWh.

You can think of it as speed (power) and distance travelled (energy transfered). If a car does 15mph, how far does it travel in 20 minutes?
Hi there,

What I am strugglingto understand is what if it has a power rating of 15kW, this means it transfers 15000 J / second. So why are you treating the value like it is "/ hour" ? Surely, you should only do that if it was in "kWh", as opposed to just "kW" ?

Thanks.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
What I am strugglingto understand is what if it has a power rating of 15kW, this means it transfers 15000 J / second. So why are you treating the value like it is "/ hour" ? Surely, you should only do that if it was in "kWh", as opposed to just "kW" ?
The KWh isn't a nice unit IMO - it's 3.6MJ. It is a convenient unit for consumers to calculate the cost of electrical energy. You could use MJ, but consumers prefer simpler maths, e.g. a 3kW electric fire uses 3kWh in an hour, and 6kWh in two. Multiply by the cost of a KWh of electricity, and you know what it costs to run.

I took the power (15kW) and multiplied by the number of hours (1/3 h - perhaps the lack of a space was an issue - the h is not on the denominator) to get to KWh.I'm not treating it as a per hour number, but the energy transferred is for a given period of time. You can think of power (the rate of energy transfer) as speed, and energy transferred as distance travelled. The same power for longer transfers more energy.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Let's phrase this better: "If a device has a power rating of 15kW, how much energy does it use in 20 minutes?"

We could use Joules: 15KW * 1200s = 15KJ/s * 1200s = 18000KJ = 18MJ

Or we could use KWh: 15KW * 1/3 h = 5KWh

1 KWh = 1KJ/s * 3600s = 3.6MJ, so you could do the calculation in Joules and convert, if that's clearer for you.
lewis.h
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
The KWh isn't a nice unit IMO - it's 3.6MJ. It is a convenient unit for consumers to calculate the cost of electrical energy. You could use MJ, but consumers prefer simpler maths, e.g. a 3kW electric fire uses 3kWh in an hour, and 6kWh in two. Multiply by the cost of a KWh of electricity, and you know what it costs to run.

I took the power (15kW) and multiplied by the number of hours (1/3 h - perhaps the lack of a space was an issue - the h is not on the denominator) to get to KWh.I'm not treating it as a per hour number, but the energy transferred is for a given period of time. You can think of power (the rate of energy transfer) as speed, and energy transferred as distance travelled. The same power for longer transfers more energy.
I see !

Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (128)
17.9%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.21%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (218)
30.49%

Watched Threads