fogcuts
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello TSR. This is my first time ever posting here! Anyway, I am an UK born/national with a birth certificate to prove it. Unfortunately I no longer have my British Passport. Anyway, I moved from London to Portugal since I was 5, I am 21 currently. I am thinking of returning to London to study to the University of Arts of London. However, I would like to know if I'm eligible for a maintenance loan? I've attempted to figure it out online but it's kinda confusing. I do believe I might be, but since I've been living in a different place for so long I wonder if that will have any effect? Thank you!
SFE Rebecca
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fogcuts)
Hello TSR. This is my first time ever posting here! Anyway, I am an UK born/national with a birth certificate to prove it. Unfortunately I no longer have my British Passport. Anyway, I moved from London to Portugal since I was 5, I am 21 currently. I am thinking of returning to London to study to the University of Arts of London. However, I would like to know if I'm eligible for a maintenance loan? I've attempted to figure it out online but it's kinda confusing. I do believe I might be, but since I've been living in a different place for so long I wonder if that will have any effect? Thank you!
Hi,

As a UK National, you could be eligible for support as long as you meet the following criteria:

• You have been ordinarily resident in the UK at some point since birth.
• You have been living in the EU or Switzerland within the last 3 years and you are ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first term of your course.

For ID evidence, as you no longer have your passport we can use a UK Birth Certificate along with a countersignature form.

Thanks, Rebecca.
fogcuts
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello Rebecca. Thank you very much for replying to me. I've been confused in regards to my eligibility for maintenance loan because most of the sites I have visited such as the gov site state that I need to be living in the UK for 3 years prior to the beginning of my course, which is not the case. Hence, my confusion!

I have lived in the UK for 5 years before moving to Portugal.

I'm still very confused, because the gov site states a different thing! Haha.
Lynsey SFE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fogcuts)
Hello Rebecca. Thank you very much for replying to me. I've been confused in regards to my eligibility for maintenance loan because most of the sites I have visited such as the gov site state that I need to be living in the UK for 3 years prior to the beginning of my course, which is not the case. Hence, my confusion!

I have lived in the UK for 5 years before moving to Portugal.

I'm still very confused, because the gov site states a different thing! Haha.
Hello,

As a UK National you do not need to meet the 3 year residency criteria as long as you have been living in the EU (EEA) or Switzerland for at least 3 years and you are ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the term of your course.

As well as your ID evidence, we would require a breakdown of your residency details since birth.

Thanks, Lynsey.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (376)
56.46%
I don't have everything I need (290)
43.54%

Watched Threads