The Student Room Group

Rasist comments

I am a mature student in my final year of study & I need people thought about this issue pls.

My son (year 2) was called black chocolate bar by boy in reception yesterday and my son’s friend called the boy white chocolate.
My partner was told by his teacher that they have contacted the boys parents and told them he called my son black chocolate.

I am very angry as this is not the 1st time someone as said this to my son at Sch.i took the issue up with the Sch d 1st time and the Sch called the boys parents and then called me back passing on their sincere apology and said she told the boy to write my son and apology letter which we never got but I just left it as it was the 1st time and and they said the boy is got a bit of learning difficulties.

I Dont know what to do with this recent episode y as I was planning to go to the Sch but thought I should wait and see if the Sch will do nothing further. I mean I do not know what can done to a child in reception .

But, is it that Schools do not have a procedure in dealing with this sort of racist comments?

What can I do or what can I suggest the school does to stop these racist comments.
Original post by Lollipopslife
I am a mature student in my final year of study & I need people thought about this issue pls.

My son (year 2) was called black chocolate bar by boy in reception yesterday and my son’s friend called the boy white chocolate.
My partner was told by his teacher that they have contacted the boys parents and told them he called my son black chocolate.

I am very angry as this is not the 1st time someone as said this to my son at Sch.i took the issue up with the Sch d 1st time and the Sch called the boys parents and then called me back passing on their sincere apology and said she told the boy to write my son and apology letter which we never got but I just left it as it was the 1st time and and they said the boy is got a bit of learning difficulties.

I Dont know what to do with this recent episode y as I was planning to go to the Sch but thought I should wait and see if the Sch will do nothing further. I mean I do not know what can done to a child in reception .

But, is it that Schools do not have a procedure in dealing with this sort of racist comments?

What can I do or what can I suggest the school does to stop these racist comments.
By the sounds of it this isn't anything malicious happening Their using a chocolate analogy to describe each other. Both ways. While it's very easy to interpret that as rqcist I would also suggest that at age 5 this is just how these boys have begun to recognise ethnicity, and that using chocolate is the way their brains have started to formulate thoughts about it.

Whilst children can be cruel calling each other after a dairy milk probably isn't intended as causing offence. What they don't understand is the societal implications of using phrases like this. And at age 5 why would they?

My advice would be to talk to your child about ethnicity. Don't put the expectation on the school to deliver some sort of justice when they are far far too busy. Your child has the capability to manipulate the social environment he's in, give him the principles of how you should and shouldn't talk about racism and let him apply it.
Original post by Lollipopslife

As a mother of 7, my experience has been that children, especially young children, tend to reflect their parents’ opinions. They may have heard adult family members or family friends use these phrases, so, for the child, they are just repeating what they are hearing and no malice is involved on the part of the child.
The best way to educate a child in matters such as these is at home initially, but it’s for the school to address it effectively and follow through with whatever action they have decided is appropriate. A second incident needs more robust action and a letter to the school Board of Governors is appropriate at this point.

Quick Reply

Latest