Does anyone need help with GCSE English?

Watch
peevy
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m currently in year 13, about to attend University in September. In year 11 I achieved an 8 in my GCSE for English, so I was wondering if anyone needed help with tips such as, remembering quotes, revision strategies or anything else! I studied An Inspector Calls, Much Ado About Nothing, A Christmas Carol, and Love & Loss Poetry. Hope this helps!
Bella.tigerlily
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Currently in y11 and done our first mocks, I got 9 in lit but 7 in Lang and was wondering if you had any tips on revision/practice for the language papers?
RickstaKirby23
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bella.tigerlily)
Currently in y11 and done our first mocks, I got 9 in lit but 7 in Lang and was wondering if you had any tips on revision/practice for the language papers?
Learning a word-a-day will be really useful in the leadup towards your exams. Words like vitriolic, scintillate, mellifluous are examples of words I learnt and have incorporated into my creative writing to get Level 9s.

In terms of your transactional writing, learning some mnemonics such as AFOREST will help you. You can write these at the top of your paper, and tick off the features you use as you go.

As for the rest of the Qs, just learn the structure of each question thoroughly (do you need context, analysis, zoom in features/zoom out themes and ideas).

Please let me know if you need anything else.
Bella.tigerlily
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RickstaKirby23)
Learning a word-a-day will be really useful in the leadup towards your exams. Words like vitriolic, scintillate, mellifluous are examples of words I learnt and have incorporated into my creative writing to get Level 9s.

In terms of your transactional writing, learning some mnemonics such as AFOREST will help you. You can write these at the top of your paper, and tick off the features you use as you go.

As for the rest of the Qs, just learn the structure of each question thoroughly (do you need context, analysis, zoom in features/zoom out themes and ideas).

Please let me know if you need anything else.
Ooh thanks learning a word a day is a really good idea! Gonna try doing that for sure, and I need to just keep revising structure and looking a at mark schemes I think
Thank you!
Lilllyyyy3
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi , just wanted to know what revision guides would help with much ado about nothing because I don’t know what will help me to get high marks
RickstaKirby23
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Something new that I've done recently is to make flashcards based on pictures. I can confidently recall loads of quotations from my poetry anthology now.

For each word of a quotation, I draw a picture of connotations of the word. Or sometimes I associate pictures with personal things. For example, when John Smith is mentioned in An Inspector Calls, I represent John Smith with the Doctor Who logo (for all you non-Whovians, it is because that is the Doctor's disguise name).
turna127
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I'm doing an Inspector Calls too and I'm wondering if you have any tips for the exam? Did you learn quotations and how many did you learn if you did? If you have a doc or anything on the quotes then I'll be very grateful if you could send them to me
Anaaaaaaaaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
i need your help with the play an inspector calls i need to find a quote about mr birling, saying that his reputation is the most important thing for him
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (109)
33.75%
Yes - a trusted person (89)
27.55%
No (85)
26.32%
I'm not sure (40)
12.38%

Watched Threads