Professional skills test help Watch

sunn98
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently preparing for my professional skills test and I found the maths test particularly difficult. Its been over 6 years since I have done GCSE maths and I feel very unprepared. Is there any maths videos/websites/books anyone can suggest me to work from?
SarcAndSpark
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi

I've moved your thread to the teacher training sub-forum so you can get more replies from people familiar with the tests.

Are you struggling with a particular type of question?

I found this video quite useful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM6zkJ-_RRU&t=19s

It also really helps if your mental maths is strong- so learning all your times tables and maths facts off by heart. This is a chore, but there's not really a short cut around it!
happyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sunn98)
I am currently preparing for my professional skills test and I found the maths test particularly difficult. Its been over 6 years since I have done GCSE maths and I feel very unprepared. Is there any maths videos/websites/books anyone can suggest me to work from?
Hi!

I passed mine this morning. I just went throught the four tests on the government websites. There are videos on youtube which go through all the answer. They show you quick methods for all the types of question you may get.

This worked for me!
sunn98
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by happyy)
Hi!

I passed mine this morning. I just went throught the four tests on the government websites. There are videos on youtube which go through all the answer. They show you quick methods for all the types of question you may get.

This worked for me!
hi congrats!!! how did you find the test? was it easier or harder than the practise questions?

Also, do the real tests have the same format as the practise one? from what I saw on from the govt website, the mental arithmetic section does not display the questions on screen and instead displays the key figures while the audio reads the question out. Is that the case with the real tests too?
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Get this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passing-Num...hs+skills+test

Then practice practice practice. Good luck!
happyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sunn98)
hi congrats!!! how did you find the test? was it easier or harder than the practise questions?

Also, do the real tests have the same format as the practise one? from what I saw on from the govt website, the mental arithmetic section does not display the questions on screen and instead displays the key figures while the audio reads the question out. Is that the case with the real tests too?
Thanks! The mental question were easier. They were still the same types of questions, but the numbers they picked were much easier to work with e.g. 2/5 instead of 11/55.

Yes, the mental section does not display the question. However, if you go on the government website there are four practice test where they are all just audio and no writing. These are great practice. You should only listen to the question once. You won't have enough time otherwise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (101)
19.8%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (208)
40.78%
Nope, not that interesting (201)
39.41%

Watched Threads