PwC Technology Flying Start 2019 Applicants Thread Watch

bruffsupporter
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hey everyone,

As I couldn't find an already existing one, this thread is for everyone who's applying for any of the following PwC Degree Apprenticeships this year:
Computer Science with Digital Technology Partnership - University of Birmingham
Computer Science (Digital & Technology Solutions) - University of Leeds
Software Engineering with Digital Technology Partnership - Queen's University Belfast
Data Science - University of Edinburgh
Data Science - University of St Andrews

I applied to the UoB program, just passed the online Career Valuation Stage and about to complete the Career Unlocked Stage. I also applied to Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick and Manchester (if anyone's interested). Comment what program you applied for and what stage you're currently at.

Best of luck!
Jujko
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hello,

I applied to the UoL programme and completed both Career Valuation and Unlocked. Now I'm waiting for the results. I've also applied to Swansea, Surrey, Loughborough and Liverpool.
bruffsupporter
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Jujko)
Hello,

I applied to the UoL programme and completed both Career Valuation and Unlocked. Now I'm waiting for the results. I've also applied to Swansea, Surrey, Loughborough and Liverpool.
Great to hear! What score did you get on the Career Unlocked and how did you find it?
Sergio000
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I applied for the technology data science degree at Edinburgh, got an offer today, obviously pending all the interviews and stuff with PwC which I haven't done yet. Anybody else applying for the data science degree?
Jujko
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by bruffsupporter)
Great to hear! What score did you get on the Career Unlocked and how did you find it?
I can't remember my score exactly but it was around 9170 I believe. Speaking about the impression it made on me, I'd say it is an inappropriate way of assessing, especially for us in the field of Computer Science. It was focused on evaluating our fast reactions rather than our problem-solving skills. I found the scoring ridiculous as well and heard that if you achieve 9500, you automatically pass the stage.
israelowo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I applied for the UoL and Belfast programme. Just heard from Belfast today but still waiting for Leeds. How long do they normally take to reply?
israelowo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by israelowo)
I applied for the UoL and Belfast programme. Just heard from Belfast today but still waiting for Leeds. How long do they normally take to reply?
Also applied for Warwick, Loughborough and Aston including Leeds and Belfast.
bruffsupporter
Rep:
?
(Original post by israelowo)
Also applied for Warwick, Loughborough and Aston including Leeds and Belfast.
Leeds hopefully shouldn't be too soon if you've already completed the Career Valuation and Career Unlocked. I received an invite to the Assessment Day from Birmingham yesterday
BasLa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Sergio000)
I applied for the technology data science degree at Edinburgh, got an offer today, obviously pending all the interviews and stuff with PwC which I haven't done yet. Anybody else applying for the data science degree?
Did you write a seperate personal statement for the apprenticeship next to your regular statement?
And what were your grades, if I may ask?
And did you also apply for a regular course at Edinburgh?
Sergio000
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by BasLa)
Did you write a seperate personal statement for the apprenticeship next to your regular statement?
And what were your grades, if I may ask?
And did you also apply for a regular course at Edinburgh?
Hi,
no I just applied with my normal personal statement, but maybe they'll ask for another one later. My grades are 11 A*s at GCSE and 4 A*s predicted in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. I only applied for the degree apprenticeship, not the normal compsci course.
Have you applied for the same course?
BasLa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi,
no I just applied with my normal personal statement, but maybe they'll ask for another one later. My grades are 11 A*s at GCSE and 4 A*s predicted in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. I only applied for the degree apprenticeship, not the normal compsci course.
So what course was your regular personal statement for then? No I haven't yet, I'm considering it, although my grades aren't as insane as yours
razakma15
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi,
Wow, Those are some amazing grades, What other extra curriculer do you do in addition to this.
P4RK3R_543
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Evening guys, I'm currently at Leeds doing the tech degree, so please let me know if you have any questions or want any more information! So far it's been great, really enjoying the course and moving to Leeds it's a great city! Hopefully I'll be seeing a few of you at the assessment days and if all goes well next year!

Sam
bruffsupporter
Rep:
?
(Original post by P4RK3R_543)
Evening guys, I'm currently at Leeds doing the tech degree, so please let me know if you have any questions or want any more information! So far it's been great, really enjoying the course and moving to Leeds it's a great city! Hopefully I'll be seeing a few of you at the assessment days and if all goes well next year!

Sam
Wow that's great! I assume you're in your first year so haven't been on placement yet, but have you done much on the PwC side of things so far and how have they been?
maphcs
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by P4RK3R_543)

Sam
Hiya, I am very excited to have an assessment day for this! What did your assessment day involve and how can I prepare myself for it?
Samiik
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
When did you send off your application and how long did it take to hear back about the online assessments?
Sergio000
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by razakma15)
Wow, Those are some amazing grades, What other extra curriculer do you do in addition to this.
Thank you! I've done a few programming programming projects at home and some work experiences, but nothing much
Sergio000
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by BasLa)
So what course was your regular personal statement for then? No I haven't yet, I'm considering it, although my grades aren't as insane as yours
For my other courses I applied for normal computer science.
P4RK3R_543
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by bruffsupporter)
Wow that's great! I assume you're in your first year so haven't been on placement yet, but have you done much on the PwC side of things so far and how have they been?
Hiya! Yeah so far we've not done any actual work for PwC, but we have had a few events. Initially we had a couple of ice-breaking sessions and a welcome party, just to get to know everyone else in our co-hort which was nice. We've also taken part in a couple of online conference calls regarding the different areas of PwC, plus a few visits to the office. One of these was a 'speed dating' session to learn about the departments we can go into during our placement and was really helpful as we have to select our desired area for next summer's placement by next week. So far they've been enjoyable and interesting and I'm interested in how they'll evolve as your group comes through, I hope that answers your question! Do you know when your interview is?
P4RK3R_543
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Samiik)
When did you send off your application and how long did it take to hear back about the online assessments?
I sent my UCAS off around the start of October, had 3 weeks to fill in an additional form (Why PwC etc...?), then got told mid-November I had an interview. My interview was 6th December in Leeds, and I heard back the next day that I had recieved an offer.

After hearing about the online assessment from some of you guys, I'm guessing the applicaion process has changed since last year as we didn't have to do any online assessments. As for the interview, it was a lot better than I expected it to be. I've replied somewhere on this thread as how I approached the interview which might be helpful to read, but like I say I'm pretty sure the process has changed so they might do it differently (however it's probably a good base). Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.56%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (85)
18.89%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.22%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.67%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.22%