Depression Diagnosis as Extenuating Circumstance/Extension

Watch
XiuXiu
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there,

I have a bunch of deadlines on Thursday, but I'm not going to make them, because I haven't started 2/3 of them and don't even have a good grasp of the material, etc, because I've pretty much been immobilised by depression and paranoia, and have barely left the house or done anything for the past few months but sleep for like 20 hours a day and shake nervously.

I've been meaning to see someone for ages about this to get prescribed antidepressants or something (I have only recently stopped being terrified of the prospect), and I should have done ages ago, but I'm somewhat cynically mostly finally taking action on this because I need an extension. My condition is legitimate though. What are my realistic chances of actually getting a note that extends my deadline? I'm worried it'll look cynical, like I'm hamming up my condition for the sake of extension, since I imagine people do things like that all the time.

Obviously in the meantime I'll knuckle down and see what I can get done, and probably scrape through with a **** coursework mark or something if I can't get an extension, but far from ideal. Was just wondering if anyone has any experience in this topic.

Thanks
Last edited by XiuXiu; 1 year ago
Helloyoufool
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It sounds like you should urgently see someone from your well-being service or university medical service. The first step is often the hardest. They will have protocols to assist with the extension. If you are able also speak with your personal tutor. It is probably your depression making you worry people will judge you for being unable to get on with your work. If your semester is ended and local services are closed over the holiday period then talk to your GP or ring the Samaritans if you’re based in the UK you can also contact them on-line. Hope things improve for you.
XiuXiu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helloyoufool)
It sounds like you should urgently see someone from your well-being service or university medical service. The first step is often the hardest. They will have protocols to assist with the extension. If you are able also speak with your personal tutor. It is probably your depression making you worry people will judge you for being unable to get on with your work. If your semester is ended and local services are closed over the holiday period then talk to your GP or ring the Samaritans if you’re based in the UK you can also contact them on-line. Hope things improve for you.
Thanks. I'm going to go to the GP at my uni (UEA) Monday at erliest since that's when it opens; hopefully I'll be able to get an appointment before next Thursday, since otherwise it'll be a huge bother and uncertainty to get a post-deadline extension, and I wouldn't want to waste GP time by marking it as urgent

I tried talking to Samaritons at some a while ago, but ended up hanging up cuz I was too nervous and thought they sounded bored by the time of their first word - obviously just my head ****ing with me, but yeah. It's mental illness, and I need medication for it. It's just, as of now, I'm thinking really short term, becuase I desperately don't want to fall behind in uni grades on my first assessment on my course that counts towards my final grade. Hopefully, this desperation to get an extension will actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise by getting me to a GP. But there's also a great deal of uncertainty about it.

Sorry about how jumbled these posts are
XiuXiu
Rep:
?
now that I've considered the possibility of getting an extension, I've not been able to perform in the urgency and desperation that I would need to I do 2 and a half essays in 4 days, thereby unintentionally taking a gamble at them saying yes. Man I hope it all goes alright
arpereira
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by XiuXiu)
Hi there,

I have a bunch of deadlines on Thursday, but I'm not going to make them, because I haven't started 2/3 of them and don't even have a good grasp of the material, etc, because I've pretty much been immobilised by depression and paranoia, and have barely left the house or done anything for the past few months but sleep for like 20 hours a day and shake nervously.

I've been meaning to see someone for ages about this to get prescribed antidepressants or something (I have only recently stopped being terrified of the prospect), and I should have done ages ago, but I'm somewhat cynically mostly finally taking action on this because I need an extension. My condition is legitimate though. What are my realistic chances of actually getting a note that extends my deadline? I'm worried it'll look cynical, like I'm hamming up my condition for the sake of extension, since I imagine people do things like that all the time.

Obviously in the meantime I'll knuckle down and see what I can get done, and probably scrape through with a **** coursework mark or something if I can't get an extension, but far from ideal. Was just wondering if anyone has any experience in this topic.

Thanks
Heyyy, I’m sorry you feel this way... I understand everything you go through. Back when I was in last year of school, I was told that I should not mention my depression and anxiety disorder on the UCAS application, as it would perhaps harm my application.... this came from my IB coordinator.

If you are at uni, I think you shoukd consider asking for it. You’re already there and they won’t kick you out for having an illness. It’ll work out fine. Just make sure you go to your doctor first so they won’t think it’s an excuse. Since these kinds of illnesses are not visible, people tend to ignore them or pretend they don’t exist. So take a doctor’s note to make sure you’ll be treated right.

Unis nowadays are getting more and more “mental health friendly” because if they didn’t they’d be sued tbh. So I’m sure you’ll get an extension. I think what you should do now is get some rest and start fresh in the morning.

Hope it all works out!!
DarkChaoz95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by XiuXiu)
now that I've considered the possibility of getting an extension, I've not been able to perform in the urgency and desperation that I would need to I do 2 and a half essays in 4 days, thereby unintentionally taking a gamble at them saying yes. Man I hope it all goes alright
Sorry to hear about your situation, you should definitely get an extension. But when you see a GP make sure to get a medical letter from them confirming that the issues your having is causing an impact on you from doing your coursework since your not able to perform at your maximum potiential.

Though since your seeing your GP at uni, I wonder getting a letter even matters since their part of the uni. But either way, you will need medical evidence of some sort to get an extension.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You need medical evidence as in a diagnosis so see your doctor asap
XiuXiu
Rep:
?
thanks guys. I'm going to call when they open at 8:30 to book an appointment, very worried that they wont be able to do an appointment for weeks though. if thats the case I have no idea what I'll do.
Helloyoufool
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You need to be very clear how bad you are feeling. Don’t start with that you need ‘extenuating circumstances’ rather about the other things you’ve mentioned including you don’t know what to do and any previous mental health problems. If they’re really unable to see you as an emergency ask them where you can access other urgent help in your area.
Helloyoufool
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You need to be very clear how bad you are feeling. Don’t start with that you need ‘extenuating circumstances’ rather about the other things you’ve mentioned including you don’t know what to do and any previous mental health problems. If they’re really unable to see you as an emergency ask them where you can access other urgent help in your area. You may find this link helpful too:https://youngminds.org.uk/blog/getting-help-at-uni/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (732)
33.83%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (926)
42.79%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (411)
18.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.39%

Watched Threads