username3035674
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hello I am a black ,working class student from London who is thinking of applying to Durham, but I'm worried about not fitting in or being discriminated against, I also worry about getting bored of Durham coming from London, but I really like the University and course (Philosophy), I am also thinking of applying to KCL, Birmingham, Sheffield, Exeter, Sussex, Bristol, Leeds and UEA
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by David Maverick)
Hello I am a black ,working class student from London who is thinking of applying to Durham, but I'm worried about not fitting in or being discriminated against, I also worry about getting bored of Durham coming from London, but I really like the University and course (Philosophy), I am also thinking of applying to KCL, Birmingham, Sheffield, Exeter, Sussex, Bristol, Leeds and UEA
When are you applying? This year, for entry Sept 2019, or next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username3035674
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
When are you applying? This year, for entry Sept 2019, or next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This year, for Sept 2019
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
This year, for Sept 2019
Have you visited your shortlist?
username3035674
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Have you visited your shortlist?
I have visited Birmingham, Leeds, KCL, Bristol and UEA, but not Durham, Sussex and Exeter
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
discriminated against - no

fitting in - interestingly, if there are a small group of black Londoners you may struggle to fit in. but if you are practically the only one, you will integrate instantly.

being bored - this is a legitimate possible issue, but you will be close to Newcastle and you will have a degree to focus on.

Sussex, UEA and Exeter will be worse for you.
username3035674
Rep:
?
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
discriminated against - no

fitting in - interestingly, if there are a small group of black Londoners you may struggle to fit in. but if you are practically the only one, you will integrate instantly.

being bored - this is a legitimate possible issue, but you will be close to Newcastle and you will have a degree to focus on.

Sussex, UEA and Exeter will be worse for you.
That’s interesting, thank you for the response
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I have visited Birmingham, Leeds, KCL, Bristol and UEA, but not Durham, Sussex and Exeter
If you like the course then apply, see if you get an offer then visit before making your decision.

You only "need" two offers...

Posted from TSR Mobile
RedHelenB
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. To get more working class black students you need them to apply in the first place. Durham ate paying travel costs for those on low incomes to enable them to attend open days.
username3035674
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by RedHelenB)
It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. To get more working class black students you need them to apply in the first place. Durham ate paying travel costs for those on low incomes to enable them to attend open days.
That makes sense, guess more do have to apply, and Durham do that?, that’s pretty cool
eggbutt
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Not a Durham student myself, but I have lived in Durham all my life so I can comment on one or two things!

With regards to getting bored: I will warn you that, despite its city status, Durham is real small. Like... Real small. I remember going to York on a Summer School, and all the kids from London kept remarking on how tiny the place was, when I thought it was HUGE. Honestly there's not much to do here at all, and whilst there's one or two clubs and whatnot, it's ehh. Not much in the way of anything else, either, to be quite honest but it is super easy to get to Newcastle (like a one-stop, 20 minute train journey). They're building a big shopping centre in the heart of town right now, but God knows when that's going to be ready. Personally I'm accustomed to the peace and quiet, but if you're not a fan of it then maybe try coming here, first, on an open day and look around the place whilst you're at it?

Can't really comment on how well you'll fit in. I don't know what goes on inside the uni, like I said.
username3035674
Rep:
?
(Original post by eggbutt)
Not a Durham student myself, but I have lived in Durham all my life so I can comment on one or two things!

With regards to getting bored: I will warn you that, despite its city status, Durham is real small. Like... Real small. I remember going to York on a Summer School, and all the kids from London kept remarking on how tiny the place was, when I thought it was HUGE. Honestly there's not much to do here at all, and whilst there's one or two clubs and whatnot, it's ehh. Not much in the way of anything else, either, to be quite honest but it is super easy to get to Newcastle (like a one-stop, 20 minute train journey). They're building a big shopping centre in the heart of town right now, but God knows when that's going to be ready. Personally I'm accustomed to the peace and quiet, but if you're not a fan of it then maybe try coming here, first, on an open day and look around the place whilst you're at it?

Can't really comment on how well you'll fit in. I don't know what goes on inside the uni, like I said.
Thank you, I think after living in London, I would probably like some aspects of Durham, but with Newcastle nearby I think it makes up for it’s lack of size. And I’ll visit it on an applicant day, if I get an offer.
prostheticzeta
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hey! As a working class student at Durham myself, I can tell you that you will not be discriminated what so ever! Whilst Durham does seem as a very white middle class uni, there are still so many diverse people in Durham and you will never feel alone or alienated, (you just end up laughing at those who think they own the world). Even though I am not an ethnic minority myself, I can tell you that students are very lovely and you can never predict who you'll build friendships with. So far, I have seen and experienced Durham uni as very inclusive and friendly. There are hundreds of college and uniwide societies which you could join, may they be sport, hobby or nationality/ethnicity related.
The clubs in Durham are pretty good, they may not be of London standard, but they are still so much fun and most of the people I know go clubbing at least twice a week and have a great time. Since Durham is small, it has its perks: Safety, Short distance walks, a very friendly community!!
The most important aspect of Durham is that IT IS SO CHEAP. Alcohol, Rent, Car insurance, groceries...
I honestly can not fault Durham, coming here is definitely the best decision I have made in my life so far.
I hope this helps!
username3035674
Rep:
?
(Original post by prostheticzeta)
Hey! As a working class student at Durham myself, I can tell you that you will not be discriminated what so ever! Whilst Durham does seem as a very white middle class uni, there are still so many diverse people in Durham and you will never feel alone or alienated, (you just end up laughing at those who think they own the world). Even though I am not an ethnic minority myself, I can tell you that students are very lovely and you can never predict who you'll build friendships with. So far, I have seen and experienced Durham uni as very inclusive and friendly. There are hundreds of college and uniwide societies which you could join, may they be sport, hobby or nationality/ethnicity related.
The clubs in Durham are pretty good, they may not be of London standard, but they are still so much fun and most of the people I know go clubbing at least twice a week and have a great time. Since Durham is small, it has its perks: Safety, Short distance walks, a very friendly community!!
The most important aspect of Durham is that IT IS SO CHEAP. Alcohol, Rent, Car insurance, groceries...
I honestly can not fault Durham, coming here is definitely the best decision I have made in my life so far.
I hope this helps!
prostheticzeta Thank You!, that helps a lot, I Applied to Durham two days ago, and I chose Collingwood, so I’m nervous about the offer.
x_Bronx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
They do absolutely not discriminate here, but if you're not sure, try coming to an open day and see for yourself!
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You honestly need to visit Durham, I left in November, absolutely horrible experience.
username3035674
Rep:
?
(Original post by x_Bronx)
They do absolutely not discriminate here, but if you're not sure, try coming to an open day and see for yourself!
Thank you for the reassurance, I definitely will try to visit, if I get an offer
username3035674
Rep:
?
(Original post by random_matt)
You honestly need to visit Durham, I left in November, absolutely horrible experience.
random_matt Oh wow, if you don’t mind me asking, what made you leave Durham?, as this is concerning as I’m thinking of putting Durham as my firm, if I get an offer.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
random_matt Oh wow, if you don’t mind me asking, what made you leave Durham?, as this is concerning as I’m thinking of putting Durham as my firm, if I get an offer.
A) Walking 15 miles a week, which gave me severe IBS flare ups.
B) Dehuminisation.
C) There student support sucks.
username3035674
Rep:
?
random_matt Sorry could you please, elaborate on A, B and C
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (38)
7.42%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.4%
No (175)
34.18%

Watched Threads