Why law Watch

angelikiii
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
As I was writing my personal statement, the dreadful question of why law came about and I just don’t know how to answer it. All I can come up with are cliches even though they’re true. I’ve wanted to study law since I was little and even everyone around me encouraged that idea. I also like to argue which could possibly be why relatives would think I would be a lawyer one day. Any advice?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
CollectiveSoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by angelikiii)
As I was writing my personal statement, the dreadful question of why law came about and I just don’t know how to answer it. All I can come up with are cliches even though they’re true. I’ve wanted to study law since I was little and even everyone around me encouraged that idea. I also like to argue which could possibly be why relatives would think I would be a lawyer one day. Any advice?
" I’ve wanted to study law since I was little", literally the biggest, worse cliche you could put in your ps.

why not state a couple of recent law cases that have piqued your interest? are you able to analyse using what you can find from precedents?
angelikiii
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lady Jamie)
omg im so glad this post came up i have a lot to say
Please do😂
angelikiii
Rep:
?
okay how urgent is this, child?

im not feeling 100% clear and im gonna go nap, will watch and defo come back to answer when i wake up
I will not rush you, you should take your nap and come back with a clear answer afterwards. That’s probably best for both of us
CollectiveSoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
thank u, u are too kind.

I'll tag JohanGRK and Notoriety before i go and nap coz they are law students and might be able to answer some things if u are nice to them and if they want to
OP sounds like someone who needs to do their own research first
Lady Jamie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Cheers John and Notoriety for your contribution.....

Okay first, u probably already know this but I would advise against discussing career ambitions and suitability for private practice etc… You are applying to study academic law. While we are on this topic, I would recommend for u to re-evaluate your incentives. Many lawyers choose to study a completely different degree during undergrad, and with the launching of the SQE, this option is very reasonable.

As for the ‘dreadful question’, obviously try and find ways to convey your interests rather than explicitly state your reasons. Personally, I find it easier to talk about 2 aspects. 1 - An interest in the skills developed from the LLB and 2 - An interest for a specific legal principle/theory/concept involved in the LLB. It gives ur PS a level of depth and flavour, shows that you have done some research and can demonstrate a certain level of abstract thinking.

First point - Skills. Research what skills are involved in the LLB. Somethings to get you started: Evaluation, abstract thinking, written communication etc.... Then discuss its relevance to you. Do you already possess some of these skills? Are you prepared to employ these skills? How can you prove this? This could be in the form of extracurriculars and even A-level subjects.

Second point: I would strongly urge you to research and find specific areas of interest (enough to bullsh*t a few sentences on). Because law itself is way too broad, you will find it much easier to demonstrate a sound level of understanding if you focus on a particular area. Go and research into what academic law entails. Maybe look into ur desired uni’s modules and identify some areas that pique your interest, read into it. I would then discuss briefly with reference to a relevant piece of news (maybe in ur intro and conclusion to act as a hook and theme?)
Spoiler:
Show
The news is an excellent source to apply what I previously mentioned. As an example, my friend (a llb student at Cambridge) referred to the syria airstrikes (quite relevant at the time coz she is olddd). A small discussion on the UK's uncodified constitution and had a public law theme/focus throughout her PS. I talked about a controversial piece of news on the topic of assisted euthanasia/parental choice in medical practice and linked it to a discussion about law and morality which had a jurisprudence theme running through it. You wanna showcase your ability to discuss and apply these concepts which in turn conveys your interest for law.

However, I would like to stress one thing - be reasonable when discussing these ideas. You do not wanna risk posing as a pseudo-intellectual and discuss topics way out of your depth, you are speaking to academics after all. Enough to demonstrate a decent amount of higher-level thinking and interest is all you need.

Still feeling a little groggy so feel free to pm if u need me to clarify anything. I have listed one way of structuring it (tested by myself a few friends), don’t feel restricted by what I said tho. Be creative (but not that creative, like don’t make puns or anything).

(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
OP sounds like someone who needs to do their own research first
yh i know. But I particular like the OP since she let me nap haha....
angelikiii
Rep:
?

Okay first, u probably already know this but I would advise against discussing career ambitions and suitability for private practice etc… You are applying to study academic law. While we are on this topic, I would recommend for u to re-evaluate your incentives. Many lawyers choose to study a completely different degree during undergrad, and with the launching of the SQE, this option is very reasonable.

As for the ‘dreadful question’, obviously try and find ways to convey your interests rather than explicitly state your reasons. Personally, I find it easier to talk about 2 aspects. 1 - An interest in the skills developed from the LLB and 2 - An interest for a specific legal principle/theory/concept involved in the LLB. It gives ur PS a level of depth and flavour, shows that you have done some research and can demonstrate a certain level of abstract thinking.

First point - Skills. Research what skills are involved in the LLB. Somethings to get you started: Evaluation, abstract thinking, written communication etc.... Then discuss its relevance to you. Do you already possess some of these skills? Are you prepared to employ these skills? How can you prove this? This could be in the form of extracurriculars and even A-level subjects.

Second point: I would strongly urge you to research and find specific areas of interest (enough to bullsh*t a few sentences on). Because law itself is way too broad, you will find it much easier to demonstrate a sound level of understanding if you focus on a particular area. Go and research into what academic law entails. Maybe look into ur desired uni’s modules and identify some areas that pique your interest, read into it. I would then discuss briefly with reference to a relevant piece of news (maybe in ur intro and conclusion to act as a hook and theme?)
Spoiler:
Show
The news is an excellent source to apply what I previously mentioned. As an example, my friend (a llb student at Cambridge) referred to the syria airstrikes (quite relevant at the time coz she is olddd). A small discussion on the UK's uncodified constitution and had a public law theme/focus throughout her PS. I talked about a controversial piece of news on the topic of assisted euthanasia/parental choice in medical practice and linked it to a discussion about law and morality which had a jurisprudence theme running through it. You wanna showcase your ability to discuss and apply these concepts which in turn conveys your interest for law.

However, I would like to stress one thing - be reasonable when discussing these ideas. You do not wanna risk posing as a pseudo-intellectual and discuss topics way out of your depth, you are speaking to academics after all. Enough to demonstrate a decent amount of higher-level thinking and interest is all you need.

Still feeling a little groggy so feel free to pm if u need me to clarify anything. I have listed one way of structuring it (tested by myself a few friends), don’t feel restricted by what I said tho. Be creative (but not that creative, like don’t make puns or anything).

yh i know. But I particular like the OP since she let me nap haha....
Thank you so much for the detailed response. You make excellent and helpful points. I think I’m going to stick with your first point, maybe briefly mention my interests and how they encouraged me to apply for a law course. I don’t have many characters left so I don’t think I can take up discussing a piece of news. I tried a similar route, saying that I come from a country which abuses the power of law and that made me realise its importance and why I want to study it. However, my teacher thought I was starting off negatively and that it was a bit much.
Lady Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by angelikiii)
Thank you so much for the detailed response. You make excellent and helpful points. I think I’m going to stick with your first point, maybe briefly mention my interests and how they encouraged me to apply for a law course. I don’t have many characters left so I don’t think I can take up discussing a piece of news. I tried a similar route, saying that I come from a country which abuses the power of law and that made me realise its importance and why I want to study it. However, my teacher thought I was starting off negatively and that it was a bit much.
Np, good luck with your application!
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
mm?

I still don't have a convincing answer to the 'why law' question
DCDCo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
mm?

I still don't have a convincing answer to the 'why law' question
The Money!
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DCDCo)
The Money!
hehe always the cynic
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oh don't tempt me! I will pull the J-SP line; "who are you to summon me,".
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Oh don't tempt me, miss! I will pull the J-SP line; "who are you to summon me, you little grotbag".
fixed^
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
fixed^
Hahahah, you're feeling brave today.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hahahah, you're feeling brave today.
I don't think that tagging someone in a quote actually results in a notification

J-SP will undoubtedly let us know if it does
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't think that tagging someone in a quote actually results in a notification

J-SP will undoubtedly let us know if it does

Notoriety
We might find out sooner.

Personally I don't think the TSR Gods are clever enough to distinguish. Do you? (Edit: maybe they are.)
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just remember that it isnt 'I want to be a lawyer because', its 'I want to STUDY LAW because'.

What is it about spending 3 whole years of reading tons of case law and fighting your way through legal jargon that interests you?
Hint - analytical mind, interest in language, like puzzling out things.

If you look at the course description for Criminology (example - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...c-criminology/) and then one for Law - what is it about Law that interests you over Criminology (or any other Social Science) ?
Last edited by returnmigrant; 4 weeks ago
Lady Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oh don't tempt me, miss! I will pull the J-SP line; "who are you to summon me, you little grotbag".
:getmecoat:
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
:getmecoat:
That was J-SP calling me a grotbag (impliedly), not me calling you one.
Lady Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That was J-SP calling me a grotbag (impliedly), not me calling you one.
:hugs:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (903)
79.91%
Leave (227)
20.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed