Mature student personal statement Watch

diggingdan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Im having issues condensing my statement to the required length, im applying to study Archaeology, being 40 ive considerable relevant life experience and gaining more and more hands on experience as i volunteer for various Archaeology companies and im struggling to fit it all in. Also my reasons for not going to uni as a 19 year old are are personal and relevant so i want to include that...... any tips, ideas or advice?
Last edited by diggingdan; 4 weeks ago
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by diggingdan)
Im having issues condensing my statement to the required length, im applying to Durham to study Archaeology, being 40 ive considerable relevant life experience and gaining more and more hands on experience as i volunteer for various Archaeology companies and im struggling to fit it all in. Also my reasons for not going to uni as a 19 year old are are personal and relevant so i want to include that...... any tips, ideas or advice?
I would take out why you didn't go to university earlier and focus on the present, take out some adjectives if you are using too many characters.
CollectiveSoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Im having issues condensing my statement to the required length, im applying to Durham to study Archaeology, being 40 ive considerable relevant life experience and gaining more and more hands on experience as i volunteer for various Archaeology companies and im struggling to fit it all in. Also my reasons for not going to uni as a 19 year old are are personal and relevant so i want to include that...... any tips, ideas or advice?
your reasons for going to uni now belong in the Academic Reference rather than the Personal Statement
diggingdan
Rep:
?
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
your reasons for going to uni now belong in the Academic Reference rather than the Personal Statement
Are you sure about that? the admissions tutor ive spoken to said otherwise...
diggingdan
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
I would take out why you didn't go to university earlier and focus on the present, take out some adjectives if you are using too many characters.
My Admissions tutor said its relevant and important why i didn't go earlier and to include it.
Last edited by diggingdan; 4 weeks ago
BillieAprilWhite
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I agree with Claire, although you feel as though the reasons you didn’t decide to go to uni when you were younger are important and relevant, you need to think about what would happen if it came down to you and another candidate and admissions could only offer a place to one. Personally, I included why I’m interested in my course, evidence of this such as wider reading and listening to relevant podcasts. Recent advancements in the industry and how I would like to contribute. Similarly, I wrote about volunteering and work experience related to the industry and it’s sub-sectors. I would definitely focus on your work experience and volunteering as this puts you at a great advantage but remember to link it back to the specific modules that Durham offers. Hope this helps, if you have any further questions don’t hesitate to ask
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
CollectiveSoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My Admissions tutor said its relevant and important why i didn't go earlier and to include it.
your personal statement is there to demonstrate your suitability for the course
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Also my reasons for not going to uni as a 19 year old are are personal and relevant so i want to include that...... any tips, ideas or advice?
No they aren't - it was 20 years ago - you could ask your referee to mention them though.

Your PS is about why you are interested in (and suitable for) the course now, not what happened 20 years ago
diggingdan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
No they aren't - it was 20 years ago - you could ask your referee to mention them though.

Your PS is about why you are interested in (and suitable for) the course now, not what happened 20 years ago
Did you not read my last few posts? the admissions tutor at the uni i spoke to said is is relevant info to put in my personal statement ...
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Did you not read my last few posts? the admissions tutor at the uni i spoke to said is is relevant info to put in my personal statement ...
Then it can go in your reference.

You've said yourself you are struggling to condense your PS, and this is one important way way of doing that.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would not worry too much about your PS.

For archaeology it isn’t going to be a determining factor in whether you get an offer or not. TSR does offer a review service - there’s details in the sticky at the top of the PS advice forum. A second pair of eyes from someone who doesn’t know you might help you prioritise what to cut out/down.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (985)
79.37%
Leave (256)
20.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed