mariette17
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am interested in studying a course related to international studies, more specifically international relations. I am however indecisive whether I should study IR and politics or only IR. Many universities only offer IR and Politics courses, and I don't really know the difference between the two types of courses, and which one would be more useful in the future. I hope someone could help me get a better understanding of these courses, and decide which one best suits me.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mariette17)
I am interested in studying a course related to international studies, more specifically international relations. I am however indecisive whether I should study IR and politics or only IR. Many universities only offer IR and Politics courses, and I don't really know the difference between the two types of courses, and which one would be more useful in the future. I hope someone could help me get a better understanding of these courses, and decide which one best suits me.
Broadly speaking International Relations looks at relationships between states, this can be in the context of a formal organisation e.g. EU, UN, NATO e.c.t or it can go beyond the structures of a single International Organisation e.g. China/Japan relationship. You are also likely to learn about the theories around behaviour of states towards one another. Politics on the other hand tends to be about the Political situation in one country. So you might look at US Politics or UK Politics or Australian Politics e.c.t depending on the exact modules offered. Usually Politics and International Relations come under the same department which usually means if you are studying International Relations you can choose a Politics module as an elective and vice versa. In terms of which one is more useful in future, honestly the courses are so similar that it won't make a difference which you choose, the same doors will still be open. In terms of job prospects what matters more is you as an individual putting together a strong job application, whether that is a well written CV/cover letter or passing online tests that graduate recruiters use. Having work experience is an essential part of that so make sure you do things beyond the classroom. [IR grad here now working in the political world, if you have any further questions please feel free to ask.]
mariette17
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
Broadly speaking International Relations looks at relationships between states, this can be in the context of a formal organisation e.g. EU, UN, NATO e.c.t or it can go beyond the structures of a single International Organisation e.g. China/Japan relationship. You are also likely to learn about the theories around behaviour of states towards one another. Politics on the other hand tends to be about the Political situation in one country. So you might look at US Politics or UK Politics or Australian Politics e.c.t depending on the exact modules offered. Usually Politics and International Relations come under the same department which usually means if you are studying International Relations you can choose a Politics module as an elective and vice versa. In terms of which one is more useful in future, honestly the courses are so similar that it won't make a difference which you choose, the same doors will still be open. In terms of job prospects what matters more is you as an individual putting together a strong job application, whether that is a well written CV/cover letter or passing online tests that graduate recruiters use. Having work experience is an essential part of that so make sure you do things beyond the classroom. [IR grad here now working in the political world, if you have any further questions please feel free to ask.]
Thank you very much for your clear and detailed answer, it is a lot clearer now! May I ask what you preferred about your degree?
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mariette17)
Thank you very much for your clear and detailed answer, it is a lot clearer now! May I ask what you preferred about your degree?
I much preferred learning about what has actually happened rather than theories about why states interact in certain ways.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (344)
34.85%
No (643)
65.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed