Re-do GCSE's or do A-levels? (Radiography) Watch

Cook1e
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm 30 years old and want to become a radiographer. I already work with imaging as an assistant but woudl like to secure my future with a degree.

Thing is I have poor GCSE's. But I do have a triple discintion diploma in animal management - unfortunately half the modules are not recognised so I do not have enough points to apply.

Would it be better to re-do my GCSE's or just do three a-levels (biology, science and physics). Or maybe do an access course instead?

Thank you for your time.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Cook1e)
I'm 30 years old and want to become a radiographer. I already work with imaging as an assistant but woudl like to secure my future with a degree.

Thing is I have poor GCSE's. But I do have a triple discintion diploma in animal management - unfortunately half the modules are not recognised so I do not have enough points to apply.

Would it be better to re-do my GCSE's or just do three a-levels (biology, science and physics). Or maybe do an access course instead?

Thank you for your time.
1. You have to check the entrance requirements for the courses you are interested in. they all vary.

2. Check which if your qualifications are still considered valid. Some that are over 3 years old are not.

3. GCSEs are less likely to matter as long as you have Maths and English.

4. Three A levels may be very difficult to do as colleges tend only to offer access courses and so some people teach themselves. the cost could be c £1,500 each and from your selection then the science one may be considered too overlapping.

That may leave you without relevant or in date qualifications.

It may be teach yourself at last one science and two others or

Do an Access course, which you can get funding for.

http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Access/F...s/Default.aspx

Make sure it has sufficient science content.

Check the requirements of your chosen unis and then compare which combination best meets your need.

If you are already an assistance then maybe you want to stay close to where you are? That means your choices become self selecting.

You can also have a read of this

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...ing-diagnostic

Search for courses here

https://digital.ucas.com/search/resu...toSuggestType=
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.42%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.11%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (96)
14.93%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (193)
30.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed