The Student Room Group

Decisions

Help!
Basically I’m not really sure what I want to do. But I have narrowed my uni options to maths, engineering and economics. I’m just not sure what I should do for a levels. My options are maths further maths physics economics and geography. The issue is between geography and economics.

I currently do gcse geo and I am predicted a really good grade and my teachers think I could be really good at a level and I think I would enjoy it I think it could also help in engineering and shows that I have other skills to unis than just maths.

I do not do gcse economics and a level could be hard. But I looked at the spec and it seems interesting but there is no telling whether I’ll be good at it or even enjoy it. But then if I do enjoy it I could do it for a degree

Any advice and tips are appreciated
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by jpeg.idek
Help!
Basically I’m not really sure what I want to do. But I have narrowed my uni options to maths, engineering and economics. I’m just not sure what I should do for a levels. My options are maths further maths physics economics and geography. The issue is between geography and economics.

I currently do gcse geo and I am predicted a really good grade and my teachers think I could be really good at a level and I think I would enjoy it I think it could also help in engineering and shows that I have other skills to unis than just maths.

I do not do gcse economics and a level could be hard. But I looked at the spec and it seems interesting but there is no telling whether I’ll be good at it or even enjoy it. But then if I do enjoy it I could do it for a degree

Any advice and tips are appreciated
Thanks

Firstly, for a bit of background I do Maths, FM, Physics, Econ + AS Chemistry. I do know people who haven't done GCSE Economics and have coped fine with it at A-Level, they really do seem to start from the basics, so you should be fine. I think Physics, Maths, FM, and Econ is a great combination whether you want to do Economics, Maths or Engineering at university. Honestly speaking, I wouldn't bother with Geography as the other subjects are far more suitable for the courses you seem interested in. Having said that however, it's important to pick subjects you genuinely like or would be interested in studying.
Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by Shiv7
Firstly, for a bit of background I do Maths, FM, Physics, Econ + AS Chemistry. I do know people who haven't done GCSE Economics and have coped fine with it at A-Level, they really do seem to start from the basics, so you should be fine. I think Physics, Maths, FM, and Econ is a great combination whether you want to do Economics, Maths or Engineering at university. Honestly speaking, I wouldn't bother with Geography as the other subjects are far more suitable for the courses you seem interested in. Having said that however, it's important to pick subjects you genuinely like or would be interested in studying.
Hope this helps.

Thanks. It’s nice to get the perspective of someone who’s done it
Reply 3
Original post by jpeg.idek
Thanks. It’s nice to get the perspective of someone who’s done it

You'll definitely see the positive overlaps between Maths, Further Maths and to a certain extent Physics as well. These 3 complement each other very well and I would wholly recommend them together. If you're keen on keeping Economics at university as an option than Economics is definitely a solid 4th subject.
Reply 4
Original post by Shiv7
You'll definitely see the positive overlaps between Maths, Further Maths and to a certain extent Physics as well. These 3 complement each other very well and I would wholly recommend them together. If you're keen on keeping Economics at university as an option than Economics is definitely a solid 4th subject.

Thank you so much. That does make perfect sense I’m just not sure if I’ll be good at it or enjoy it that’s why it’s a possibility for my uni course

Quick Reply

Latest