The Student Room Group

My acne won't go away?! (Body acne post)

I'm 19, female. My diet is clean, drink lots of water (please don't ask about my diet I have consulted many people & know it is completely fine), I exercise, completely cut out dairy (but still make sure I get my calcium) and take antibiotics from my GP as well as a benzyl peroxide cream from them. I have suffered from acne ever since I was 12 but started to get body acne from around 14. For 5 years I have suffered immensely with body acne, I can't wear anything that doesn't have a sleeve or has an open back. I have severe body acne on my back, I get it on my butt, arms, shoulders, chests, basically anywhere with skin. It's left very very bad scars and nothing seems to work no matter what my GP gives me/says. I am a very clean person, shower my body everyday (sometimes twice), change bed sheets regularly, every single night use the benzyl peroxide cream & Aloe Vera. EVERY NIGHT. Literally no improvement and it's been years. I'm so upset and fed up it has destroyed my confidence. What should I do?? :frown:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

When you workout do you tight fittinf clothing or loose clothing?
Reply 2
Original post by Xodrama.
When you workout do you tight fittinf clothing or loose clothing?

I often wear loose fitted clothes, especially at home where I spend most of my time (it's often cotton also)
Original post by KFS64
I often wear loose fitted clothes, especially at home where I spend most of my time (it's often cotton also)

Don't shower too much or scrub too hard because that might irritate your skin and cause breakouts. Either that or just your hormones playing up.
Try using Dr Organic teatree face wash from Holland and Barrett, followed by Bepanthen cream (very gentle nappy rash cream from Boots) - and having both morning and evening showers. Works for shoulder acne. Also try taking a hay fever tablet once a day - this could also be allergy related.
(edited 5 years ago)
Have you ever tried Evening Primrose Oil?
Reply 6
I've tried basically everything, I've seen my GP many times for my skin and everytime they tell me to just wait for creams/antibiotics to work or give me basic advice that doesn't even help. I haven't been looked at for PCOS or anything, but to be honest thinking about it that most likely is my problem cause I cover alot of the symptoms mentioned on the NHS website. I've tried for days to get another GP appointment but they're so busy they won't allow me to make an appointment unless it's an emergency :/
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Have you ever tried Evening Primrose Oil?

I've spent most of my money on various creams/treatments & nothing worked :frown:
Reply 8
Have you been referred to a dermatologist? They'll be able to advise you on treatment options for your acne. Roaccutane might work for you.
Reply 9
Original post by returnmigrant
Try using Dr Organic teatree face wash from Holland and Barrett, followed by Bepanthen cream (very gentle nappy rash cream from Boots) - and having both morning and evening showers. Works for shoulder acne.

I've bought that nothing works, my back is my biggest problem unfortunately
I would highly recommend asking your GP to be referred to a dermatologist. I also had bad acne and I got referred to a dermatologist. They gave me some tablets which I can’t remember the name of as it was a few years ago. In the long run, the tablets were amazing. I no long have acne, maybe the odd spot but that’s all. However, the side effects whilst I was taking the tablets weren’t great. I had very dry skin to the point where I had to where sun cream everyday, even in cloudy weather, otherwise my skin would go red, burn or I’d get blisters. I also had to put lots of lip balm on because my lips would peel badly. There were some other side effects but I didn’t suffer from them. I know the side effects sound horrible but if you would like your acne to go away then maybe try this. I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by katf
Have you been referred to a dermatologist? They'll be able to advise you on treatment options for your acne. Roaccutane might work for you.

No it's always been a case of my GP saying that I just need to keep eating 'better' and stick to it but there is nothing else I can do & honestly it's so silly this has been a problem for years
Original post by KFS64
I'm 19, female. My diet is clean, drink lots of water (please don't ask about my diet I have consulted many people & know it is completely fine), I exercise, completely cut out dairy (but still make sure I get my calcium) and take antibiotics from my GP as well as a benzyl peroxide cream from them. I have suffered from acne ever since I was 12 but started to get body acne from around 14. For 5 years I have suffered immensely with body acne, I can't wear anything that doesn't have a sleeve or has an open back. I have severe body acne on my back, I get it on my butt, arms, shoulders, chests, basically anywhere with skin. It's left very very bad scars and nothing seems to work no matter what my GP gives me/says. I am a very clean person, shower my body everyday (sometimes twice), change bed sheets regularly, every single night use the benzyl peroxide cream & Aloe Vera. EVERY NIGHT. Literally no improvement and it's been years. I'm so upset and fed up it has destroyed my confidence. What should I do?? :frown:

I was in pills, try acne pills. I think the pills start with the letter L. Can’t remember, but treats the acne.
Reply 13
Original post by TheAlchemistress
I was in pills, try acne pills. I think the pills start with the letter L. Can’t remember, but treats the acne.

They're the exact antibiotics I was referring to before, unfortunately been on them for almost 3 months (finished the original dose) and nothing changed at all :frown:
Derma drinkables saves my life
Appointment with dermatologist pronto
Try not to use products for oily/acne prone skin, they could be making things worse
You could use products for sensitive/atopic skin, see if that improves it
It could be due to hormones
When it comes to body creams and oils, less is more
Hands clean and no touching/picking/scratching/popping or whatever
Original post by KFS64
They're the exact antibiotics I was referring to before, unfortunately been on them for almost 3 months (finished the original dose) and nothing changed at all :frown:

I was on them for 3 months and it worked for me. Maybe you have PCOS. Have you tried going for a scan?
Reply 17
Original post by TheAlchemistress
I was on them for 3 months and it worked for me. Maybe you have PCOS. Have you tried going for a scan?

That's my next step, but I did research into PCOS and for acne there aren't really many treatments available when it comes to having these hormonal imbalances other than to just keep a good diet (which I have been doing & acne is still awful) & the few medications given (according to the internet) often give problems when trying to get pregnant later in life, which would devastate me so I'm so unsure as to what to do! Thanks for your responses though!
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous
I would highly recommend asking your GP to be referred to a dermatologist. I also had bad acne and I got referred to a dermatologist. They gave me some tablets which I can’t remember the name of as it was a few years ago. In the long run, the tablets were amazing. I no long have acne, maybe the odd spot but that’s all. However, the side effects whilst I was taking the tablets weren’t great. I had very dry skin to the point where I had to where sun cream everyday, even in cloudy weather, otherwise my skin would go red, burn or I’d get blisters. I also had to put lots of lip balm on because my lips would peel badly. There were some other side effects but I didn’t suffer from them. I know the side effects sound horrible but if you would like your acne to go away then maybe try this. I hope this helps :smile:

Thank you! Yeah I definitely think a professional needs to see this. It's just a shame cause the countless times I've been to the GP they just want to do something so that I leave (which I get cause they're busy as heck) so they'll just give me really basic 'advice' or some common medication, which doesn't address the root of the problem, so I'm gonna see them again & really press them to give me some answers!
Reply 19
Original post by Kayla1709
Derma drinkables saves my life

I heard that is just mainly for acne on the face? Am I wrong? My main problem is my back :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest