The Student Room Group

Social life after uni

Is quite scary actually. At least in my shoes I went from living in and around uni with mates, and having my own family not too far away. It was bliss. Fast forward to having graduated this summer and my family are now far far away. My uni mates, the main group I kind of fell out with so trying to sort that and then other groups have just naturally kind of disintegrated. People all seem to be doing different things, many have moved away/back home. Nothing is happening, no flat parties or anything. It's quite dry.

Other than a date on Friday night and going to the gym, my weekend has been empty. It seems to usually consist of sometimes drinks after work on a Friday and I may meet a singular friend or two for a lunch or drink but that's about it. It's so boring now! And to top it off 2 of my closest friends moved away also.

Has anyone else found this adaptation hard?

Edit: I guess the easy answer is, make new friends. But honestly, in London it's reaaally hard. It's much harder than living in a small town for example (I know as I used to live in one).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Making friends in London is harder than making friends living in a small town?
Join clubs and societies inside and outside of uni. Mingle and introduce yourself to them.

You could also join online meet ups.
Reply 3
Original post by Westie22
Making friends in London is harder than making friends living in a small town?

Dynamics completely different. In a small town you get to know everyone, everyone knows everyone. There's a finite amount of things to do, places to go to and people to meet. In London, you are just an anonymous soul in a huge space of land. There's no community vibe here where locals meet locals type thing. There's no family thing here where you may go round to your friends and meet their family or something. Everyone here is either poor or rich, a working professional or a student. People can live opposing ends of London.

And all of this has an effect. It's not the same thing.
Reply 4
I live in a very small and isolated town and I'm hoping to move to London soon so I just wondered.

My advice would be to try and join a club or society like Analyst89 suggested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending