The Student Room Group
by KCL this is impossible

current entering junction > current leaving junction which is impossible by conservation of charge
Reply 2
Original post by BobbJo
by KCL this is impossible

current entering junction > current leaving junction which is impossible by conservation of charge

? I never said current entering junction > current leaving junction??
Original post by Al4stair
? I never said current entering junction > current leaving junction??

are the triangle thingies diodes?

consider the junction to the right of ammeter reading 1.4A
1.4A and 2.0A enters

1.6A leaves
Reply 4
doesn't make sense to me in the first link you have two resistors in parallel, that parallel circuit is in series with a third resistor. If you have 1.6 A travelling through the series resistor, I don't see how you can have more than that passing through the two resistors in parallel (surely the sum of the two seperate currents travelling through the parallel resistors should equal the current passing through the series resistor). In your second link I don't know how one meter can read 1.6A flowing through a resistor whislt at the other side you have 6.6A flowing through the same resistor
Reply 5
Original post by BobbJo
are the triangle thingies diodes?

consider the junction to the right of ammeter reading 1.4A
1.4A and 2.0A enters

1.6A leaves

They are resistors. The 1.6A is the current across that resistor. That is why I am asking whether the total current is 6.6A.
Reply 6
Current will flow through a resistor not appear across it
Original post by Al4stair
They are resistors. The 1.6A is the current across that resistor. That is why I am asking whether the total current is 6.6A.

I thought resistors were usually represented by rectangles

The total current is not 6.6A because this situation is physically impossible

Conservation of charge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_conservation
You have the current magically increasing at some point without any input
Reply 9
If you definitely have 1.6A flowing through that resistor the sum of the two currents in the parallel circuit must also be 1.6A.
What info where you given? what are you trying to work out?
In your first drawing if the current flowing through the bottom resistor in the parallel circuit was 0.2A that would make sense.

Quick Reply

Latest