Studying medicine with potential mental health problems? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
A bit of back story... I've danced around the idea that I could have depression - and perhaps anxiety too - for quite some time. I have an episode of suicidal ideation about 5 years ago and haven't looked back since but I still go through periods when I struggle with day to day activities, getting out of bed being a red flag for this starting. I think it's due to family problems that have been pretty constant since a child (but hey everyone's family is at least a little dysfunctional).

So fast forward a little and I get into medicine. I remember on the application it asked me if I had any mental health disorders, or words to that effect. That then freaked me out thinking if I ever went to go see someone for therapy or getting diagnosed, or even getting medicated, that I would have to declare that for every job application. Thinking that this could cause a bias because the medical sector is so notoriously stressful, particularly surgical specialties.

Really then I'm on here for advice, do you know anyone that got diagnosed in medical school, or you yourself, and has that worked out? The stigma in medical school is somehow amplified rather than mellowed so I don't want to be halted, especially as I have managed to get this far as I am. My GP is a couple of hundred miles away but I won't change because they are fantastic and I have always been there.

Do I try going to the uni's wellbeing service and seeing if they're any good? But then I could be lumped with a not-so-great therapist and that could make things worse. Or do I continue as I am and hope I don't need to seek help later on during working when ti could come into question whether I can mentally cope with the job?

Thanks for taking the time to read and feel free to ask any questions...
chronicalexa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Firstly, I think the mental health question was about DSA or similar (I’ve had to answer the same thing). Secondly, they can’t not hire you because of a mental health problem, especially depression because it’s a disability, and that’s illegal.

As for going to student services, do it anyway and see (no harm in trying!), and try some self care.

Self care can be different for everyone, but here’s a link to get you started: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-...sion/#practise

If there’s a mind charity based near you, give them a call and they might have groups near you!

If want to ask me anything, or want to vent, feel free to message me 🥰
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Bump
username1562597
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
as long as your medical condition doesn't affect your professional ability as a medical student or doctor then there shouldn't be a problem. you should read the GMC website, there's more info about this on there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.23%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.35%
Not great so far... (251)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.66%

Watched Threads