The Student Room Group

I can't choose a between a science or an engineering degree?

Hi, I have been doing researchs about university courses and degrees because I will be applying to universities next year but I still can't figure out which one to choose.
I have a great interest in all sciences and my strongest assest is Biology. However, the more I look for careers and degrees involving Biology, the more I see and hear people saying I would need more than a Bachelor's degree to get a decent job.
Also, while doing my researchs, I developped an interest in engineering as well (especially Biomedical engineering), and I heard that a bachelor degree can get me into a good job.

Considering I will be starting uni at 21 years old (which will take me quite a long time before getting a master's), should I take a science course such as Biochemistry, Pharmacology and Biomedical sciences (which will take more time and probably pay less) or an engineering course (which I might enjoy less but could probably get a better job and quicker with)?

My main aim is to be able to help patients and improve people's life, so I thought about medicine first but I am too frightened of blood, especially after I heard that medicine students have to do some human dissection...
I am definitely planning on doing at least 2 different Master's either way but I want to start working before that.
Please help me, I am so lost...
Try natural sciences it lets you study a wide range of sciences and maths
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply.
But again, it's science which will require more than a Bachelor's degree to find a job. And I heard that it is a quite broad subject (which is good in a sens) but lacks of details because it covers many sciences at the same time. Is that true?
Is the employability rate good?

Original post by jpeg.idek
Try natural sciences it lets you study a wide range of sciences and maths
Not to be rude but it depends where you get the degree from. If you have an art degree from Cambridge you will earn more than someone with a degree from you local uni with a masters in biology. It’s not the course that truly effects the grade it’s the uni
Original post by Riammy98
Hi, I have been doing researchs about university courses and degrees because I will be applying to universities next year but I still can't figure out which one to choose.
I have a great interest in all sciences and my strongest assest is Biology. However, the more I look for careers and degrees involving Biology, the more I see and hear people saying I would need more than a Bachelor's degree to get a decent job.
Also, while doing my researchs, I developped an interest in engineering as well (especially Biomedical engineering), and I heard that a bachelor degree can get me into a good job.

Considering I will be starting uni at 21 years old (which will take me quite a long time before getting a master's), should I take a science course such as Biochemistry, Pharmacology and Biomedical sciences (which will take more time and probably pay less) or an engineering course (which I might enjoy less but could probably get a better job and quicker with)?

My main aim is to be able to help patients and improve people's life, so I thought about medicine first but I am too frightened of blood, especially after I heard that medicine students have to do some human dissection...
I am definitely planning on doing at least 2 different Master's either way but I want to start working before that.

Hi, I'm a similar situation, trying to decide between biomedical science or engineering. Can I ask what you decided doing yourself? Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by Riammy98

hi! since this was four years ago what did you end up choosing?

Latest

Trending

Trending