Why does the rate of respiration in plants increase when temperature increase Watch

Stormragexox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey guys, I am struggling to understand this statement 'Daytime temperatures generally higher than night time rate of respiration increases with increased temperature as its enzymes are temperature-dependent'
I don't quite understand how temperature would have an effect on enzymes
Last edited by Stormragexox; 3 months ago
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi,
This does not apply only to plants, but also to poikilothermic [cold-blooded] animals whose temp changes with that of the environment. In general, all physiological processes speed up with increasing temp [up to a point, of course, after which denaturation of proteins occurs].

This sppeding up oif the chemical processes of life [with higher temp] places a greater demand for energy, hence the rate of respiration increases.

Hope this helps!
Momobubu
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
idk sorry
BobbJo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
'rate of respiration increases with increased temperature as its enzymes are temperature-dependent'

The enzyme and substrate have more kinetic energy at the higher temperature. More molecules have energy above the activation energy. The frequency of successful collisions increases. The rate of reaction thus increases with increasing temperature up to the optimum temperature. Beyond the optimum temperature, the rate of reaction falls as the shape of the active site changes and the substrate can no longer fit in.
CTLeafez
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon)
Hi,
This does not apply only to plants, but also to poikilothermic [cold-blooded] animals whose temp changes with that of the environment. In general, all physiological processes speed up with increasing temp [up to a point, of course, after which denaturation of proteins occurs].

This speeding up oif the chemical processes of life [with higher temp] places a greater demand for energy, hence the rate of respiration increases.

Hope this helps!
What they said + note that if the temperature becomes too high, respiration will rapidly decrease in speed due to essential enzymes denaturing, thus no longer to assist the metabolic reactions.
Last edited by CTLeafez; 2 months ago
BobbJo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by CTLeafez)
What they said + note that if the temperature becomes too high, photosynthesis will rapidly decrease in speed due to essential enzymes denaturing, thus no longer to assist the reactions.
OP asks about respiration

But what you said is true for respiration too
CTLeafez
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by BobbJo)
OP asks about respiration

But what you said is true for respiration too
Of course! Sorry, I read 'plants' and my mind went to photosynthesis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (57)
15.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (33)
9.04%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (72)
19.73%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (54)
14.79%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (40)
10.96%
How can I be the best version of myself? (109)
29.86%

Watched Threads