Year 13 History Coursework: The Cold War (Edexcel)

Watch
MidnightRanger
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi I'm in Year 12 and was wondering about what exactly the History coursework component is like / what I would need to do for it?

I understand that it's independent work but do you write a long essay on it with references to back up conclusions or is it something else?

Thanks for your time!
turquoise_badger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You've hit the nail on the head there.

In my sixth form, for Edexcel History we got the choice of looking at appeasement 1937-39 or the Irish Potato famine. At others, I understand you can pick pretty much any debated historical topic-it may be like that for you.
Essentially, you are given a question about your topic (e.g. was appeasement an appropriate policy 1937-39) and you have to answer it using sources. Essay should be about 3000-4000 words long.

You have to have three primary sources based on three perspectives. A traditionalist (a historian who believes events happened according to general consensus, i.e. Neville Chamberlain was wrong), a revisionist (a historian who wishes to revise previously established interpretations of history) and post-revisionist, who is a merging of the two. Using about 7 or 8 supplementary sources at least, you have to argue which position you agree with and why, using proper referencing and stuff.

You'll probably start it around spring-summer time next year, and the deadline will be before Christmas 2019. It is mostly independent, but your teacher will keep checking to make sure you're not falling behind.
This is based off my experiences, so don't be surprised if it turns out differently for you.

I wish you the best of luck with Y12!
MidnightRanger
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by turquoise_badger)
You've hit the nail on the head there.

In my sixth form, for Edexcel History we got the choice of looking at appeasement 1937-39 or the Irish Potato famine. At others, I understand you can pick pretty much any debated historical topic-it may be like that for you.
Essentially, you are given a question about your topic (e.g. was appeasement an appropriate policy 1937-39) and you have to answer it using sources. Essay should be about 3000-4000 words long.

You have to have three primary sources based on three perspectives. A traditionalist (a historian who believes events happened according to general consensus, i.e. Neville Chamberlain was wrong), a revisionist (a historian who wishes to revise previously established interpretations of history) and post-revisionist, who is a merging of the two. Using about 7 or 8 supplementary sources at least, you have to argue which position you agree with and why, using proper referencing and stuff.

You'll probably start it around spring-summer time next year, and the deadline will be before Christmas 2019. It is mostly independent, but your teacher will keep checking to make sure you're not falling behind.
This is based off my experiences, so don't be surprised if it turns out differently for you.

I wish you the best of luck with Y12!
Thanks! That's cleared a lot for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (77)
29.84%
No (181)
70.16%

Watched Threads