SammyD30
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi
Okay so I’m turning 18 soon and I want to do a foundation year in any science degree
What do I need?
My GCSE’s in double science were C
I did one year (of 2) btec extended diploma in applied science
Got a pass in that due to a mishap between teachers and work experience

Now studying art and design level 2 but I really want to do science! I’m realistically prepared to self teach myself a level science.

What can I do?
SammyD30
Rep:
?
^
Check my last post please sorry I just need some advice!
anonymous2556
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
you can find multiple science foundation years which you can do if you have not done science based a levels, then after the foundation year(s) you'll be able to apply to science undergraduate uni courses. Here's an example of a foundation programme which may meet your GCSEs etc. : https://www.gre.ac.uk/foundation-deg...y-requirements

what kind of science do you want to do?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SammyD30)
Hi
Okay so I’m turning 18 soon and I want to do a foundation year in any science degree
What do I need?
My GCSE’s in double science were C
I did one year (of 2) btec extended diploma in applied science
Got a pass in that due to a mishap between teachers and work experience

Now studying art and design level 2 but I really want to do science! I’m realistically prepared to self teach myself a level science.

What can I do?
Can you summarise the qualifications you actually have? But by the sounds of what you have written you don't have any Level 3 qualifications so an Access to Higher Education course would be a better bet.
SammyD30
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonymous2556)
you can find multiple science foundation years which you can do if you have not done science based a levels, then after the foundation year(s) you'll be able to apply to science undergraduate uni courses. Here's an example of a foundation programme which may meet your GCSEs etc. : https://www.gre.ac.uk/foundation-deg...y-requirements

what kind of science do you want to do?
Thank you I thought it wasn’t possible I will check the link and I prefer the biomed/cancer route meaning something to do with medicine
SammyD30
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Can you summarise the qualifications you actually have? But by the sounds of what you have written you don't have any Level 3 qualifications so an Access to Higher Education course would be a better bet.
In terms of level 3, I have the btec national diploma level 3 in applied science
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In terms of level 3, I have the btec national diploma level 3 in applied science
But you didn't complete it?
SammyD30
Rep:
?
I’m saying I want to do a foundation year since getting onto a degree course is basically impossible. For me at this point but how do these foundation years work? Like you’re guaranteed a place if you pass right? My careers advisors etc at college donttell us anything whatsoever
SammyD30
Rep:
?
But you didn't complete it?
I completed one year which still is a qualification Of Btec National Diploma , I have the certificate and all.

Now if I wouldve completed the two years I would have done btec national EXTENDED diploma
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I completed one year which still is a qualification Of Btec National Diploma , I have the certificate and all.

Now if I wouldve completed the two years I would have done btec national EXTENDED diploma
Ok, and what grades did you get? If it was DM or better then that Greenwich course, or similar, is an option.

Edit: assuming you have the necessary GCSEs too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last edited by Doones; 2 years ago
SammyD30
Rep:
?
Ok, and what grades did you get? If it was DM or better then that Greenwich course, or similar, is an option.

Edit: assuming you have the necessary GCSEs too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got P (pass) and yes I did get the necessary gcses
Last edited by SammyD30; 2 years ago
SammyD30
Rep:
?
I was trying to reply to this I accidentally reported I’m so sorry! And thank you for helping me out with that I was a bit confused but see for now I’m doing level. 2 art and design so i should continue this course until the 2019 September entry right? Or would I just be wasting my year
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got P (pass) and yes I did get the necessary gcses
And is a P sufficient for that course? (I think the answer is no.)
SammyD30
Rep:
?
And is a P sufficient for that course? (I think the answer is no.)
But I thought foundation year is for people with no qualifications?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
But I thought foundation year is for people with no qualifications?
No. They are for people with either the wrong qualifications or not quite high enough qualifications for entry to the main course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (49)
17.75%
No one else does (87)
31.52%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.14%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (93)
33.7%
We don't use a video platform (6)
2.17%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.54%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.17%

Watched Threads