Applying for the MEXT to study in Japan Watch

dolanos22
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm currently in Year 12 so obviously I have to start thinking about what I want to do for uni and such. I'm probably going to study history at uni since it's the subject I'm the best at and most interested in at A level. I want to study in Japan and I found out about the MEXT scholarship, however there was on bit of information that confused me - it says I will have to arrive in Japan by April, which means before I actually do my A levels, so obviously applying for this would not be possible without a gap year, which isn't ideal since I want to go straight into uni rather then spend a year at home where I'm unable to work or do anything really useful due to how rural I live.

If this is the case what are my other options for scholarships or just studying in Japan without breaking the bank?
sophia5892
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The academic year in Japan starts in April so generally that’s when students enrol. Some universities might allow you to enrol in the second semester (October). But I think MEXT only allows for April enrolment as is the norm.

Exchange programmes generally allow for September enrolment to fit in with the academic year in other countries - you could look for UK unis which offer a year abroad in japan?

I’m sure you’re probably aware but undergrad programmes in japan are likely to be all taught in Japanese. The MEXT undergraduate scholarship gives you 1 year of language prep but that’s really not that much given the level of language required to complete an undergraduate degree. I know the scholarship says you don’t need to know Japanese prior to application but if you don’t already, I’d strongly recommend getting a head start.

I did a year abroad in japan and although 2 years of uni study in the UK is not comparable to 1 years immersion and dedicated language study in Japan, I was nowhere near competent enough to take classes in Japanese when I arrived. Even by the time I left I’d have struggled to do well in regular undergraduate classes - admittedly my exchange programme was classes taught in English alongside Japanese language study. So not total immersion. But even so!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?