The Student Room Group

Self-studying A Levels?

IGCSE status: self-studying in English Literature, English Language, History, Economics, Chemistry, and Maths.

A Levels: will probably be self-studying as well due to financial reasons. I want to study English Literature for my BA and become either a broadcast political journalist or a political advisor in the future.

I think I'll study 6 subjects for three years and only take exams on three of them. I'll study the extra three because I want more knowledge based around my possible future careers.

Study: English Literature, History, Economics, Politics, Law, and Sociology.
Take exams on: English Literature, History, and Economics (maybe also Politics.)

Will it be hard? Currently, the only thing hard is not procrastinating. (which I'm doing this very moment.) I know Literature and History will be hella hard to study by myself. But I genuinely enjoy both subjects and want to take Literature at university. Plus, I need to keep my job options open in the future, and Literature is the best one I got.

Any advice?
I self-studied for three (Math, CS, Chinese) for ~2 months before the exams. Results: triple A*.
But keep in mind that I've got knowlege of Calculus and other Math stuff before that, and also I trained for programming competitions and am a native Chinese.

I'd say it depends, and are probably harder for humanities subjects.
A lot of memorization to do, but one big problem is that you can hardly truly understand what you're learning.
Also, lack of guidance is a serious problem (maybe less problematic for humanties). You'll also tend to forget what you've learnt pretty quickly.

But overall it's more than doable. Best of luck!
I’m currently self studying English Literature and History A-Level, feel free to pm me if I can be of any help!
I’m self-studying all my A-levels too! English Lang, History and Law. I think the hardest thing is the timeframe, cuz I’m doing my A-levels in only one year so I don’t have time to procrastinate (but I do lol) Good luck with your A-levels! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by steph179
I’m self-studying all my A-levels too! English Lang, History and Law. I think the hardest thing is the timeframe, cuz I’m doing my A-levels in only one year so I don’t have time to procrastinate (but I do lol) Good luck with your A-levels! :smile:

Thanks! And good luck to you! May I ask, which course are you aiming to study at university?
Reply 5
Original post by Sidney1461
I self-studied for three (Math, CS, Chinese) for ~2 months before the exams. Results: triple A*.
But keep in mind that I've got knowlege of Calculus and other Math stuff before that, and also I trained for programming competitions and am a native Chinese.

I'd say it depends, and are probably harder for humanities subjects.
A lot of memorization to do, but one big problem is that you can hardly truly understand what you're learning.
Also, lack of guidance is a serious problem (maybe less problematic for humanties). You'll also tend to forget what you've learnt pretty quickly.

But overall it's more than doable. Best of luck!

Congratulations on your results, they're amazing! Thank you for the advice :smile:
Original post by Shree515
Thanks! And good luck to you! May I ask, which course are you aiming to study at university?

Law. It was between History and Politics at first, but I eventually found I loved studying my A-level Law so :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by steph179
Law. It was between History and Politics at first, but I eventually found I loved studying my A-level Law so :smile:

Ok cool. Good luck!
Reply 8
I'm self studying maths, further maths and physics :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by esrever
I'm self studying maths, further maths and physics :smile:

I enjoy maths and physics (although I dropped physics after coming out of school because I don't see myself having any relations with the subject in my future.) I'm also debating whether maths will be important for me. I know it's relevant to economics and a bit to politics, and it is a facilitating subject, but it's just too hard for me. I already took my maths exam and am expecting an A. And although I enjoyed doing maths, I don't think I'll pass it for A Levels.

Anyways, with good luck exams!
Reply 10
Original post by FloralHybrid
I’m currently self studying English Literature and History A-Level, feel free to pm me if I can be of any help!

Thanks!
Original post by Shree515
Ok cool. Good luck!

Thanks!
Reply 12
:smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by FloralHybrid

Hi I have been looking into English literature to self study but their is coursework involved how do u get it marked and sent off?
Original post by Hoyo93
Hi I have been looking into English literature to self study but their is coursework involved how do u get it marked and sent off?

Hello - So whilst I self studied most of the time I actually was a student at sixth form (health issues) so it was sorted for me! I’d recommend getting in touch with nearby sixth forms / colleges and asking if they have any involvement in NEA’s for fully self studying students maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest