The Student Room Group

drama exam and im so nervous i feel sick

im playing a women called 'Marilyn Sweet' and im a flirt.
when weve been practising for hte last couple of months ive had a seductive deep over powering female persona,
but im not sure whether she should be spoilt and more feminine? ideas?
a mix between the two?
and also when i get on stage i shake, im scared il shake haha... i have to wear heals and my legs may tremble. also im scared that when im waiting on the wings il panic, or not go out, or just faint or something.
advice please?
anything to think of?
how do i get hte best mark possible?
i need 37/40 for my predicted a* and i dont want to let her down.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Awh! I was feeling the same about a week back for my drama a level.
I did find that this breathing excericse helped:

Breathe in through your nose, hold for 2 seconds, and breathe out.
Repeat and blow out for 2 seconds.
Breathe in for 4, and out for 4.
The same in 2 or 4 second intervals :smile:

It is very relaxing.
Why not try and answer Q's for your character? Also building up an image in your head of what she looks like, her physicality and a few facial experessions. My character was very similar, and I just did things like that. Costume may help you get into role a bit more aswell.
EDIT: Apologies for spelling, my cat has been walking all over my keyboard.
littlejohno :)
im playing a women called 'Marilyn Sweet' and im a flirt.
when weve been practising for hte last couple of months ive had a seductive deep over powering female persona,
but im not sure whether she should be spoilt and more feminine? ideas?
a mix between the two?
and also when i get on stage i shake, im scared il shake haha... i have to wear heals and my legs may tremble. also im scared that when im waiting on the wings il panic, or not go out, or just faint or something.
advice please?
anything to think of?
how do i get hte best mark possible?
i need 37/40 for my predicted a* and i dont want to let her down.

Don't worry, when you're on the stage you'll be alright, I know that's easy for me to say but I felt the same as you beforehand.
Just add that extra litle spark to get the top grades, and isn't the A* pratically impossible to get in drama? Do you do the coursework? The grade boundary is something ridiculous like 98/100.

Anyway, your character sounds a LOT like the one I played, just excenuate everything little characteristic. Make sure you get into character beforehand.
Reply 3
nothingspek
Don't worry, when you're on the stage you'll be alright, I know that's easy for me to say but I felt the same as you beforehand.
Just add that extra litle spark to get the top grades, and isn't the A* pratically impossible to get in drama? Do you do the coursework? The grade boundary is something ridiculous like 98/100.

Anyway, your character sounds a LOT like the one I played, just excenuate everything little characteristic. Make sure you get into character beforehand.

yes i do coursework. paper 1 was out of 120, and i got 120, so to get an A* you need 157/160 :0
and i really want to get it because ive had the same teacher for 5 years, and i want to make her proud.

ive got costume, ive doen my hair design haha.. choclate brown curly.. big red lips... red dress.
i pronounce everything..
i have a laugh!
i squeeze a certain someones bum.
but im not sure its enough..

also because im bored of my character... the lines are just like BLAAAAAAA.
Reply 4
cissy
Awh! I was feeling the same about a week back for my drama a level.
I did find that this breathing excericse helped:

Breathe in through your nose, hold for 2 seconds, and breathe out.
Repeat and blow out for 2 seconds.
Breathe in for 4, and out for 4.
The same in 2 or 4 second intervals :smile:

It is very relaxing.
Why not try and answer Q's for your character? Also building up an image in your head of what she looks like, her physicality and a few facial experessions. My character was very similar, and I just did things like that. Costume may help you get into role a bit more aswell.
EDIT: Apologies for spelling, my cat has been walking all over my keyboard.

good i will breath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thankyou for that.
what gestures etc did you have for your character?
and its ok... my cat does it all the time.
yes i do coursework. paper 1 was out of 120, and i got 120, so to get an A* you need 157/160 :0
and i really want to get it because ive had the same teacher for 5 years, and i want to make her proud.

ive got costume, ive doen my hair design haha.. choclate brown curly.. big red lips... red dress.
i pronounce everything..
i have a laugh!
i squeeze a certain someones bum.
but im not sure its enough..

also because im bored of my character... the lines are just like BLAAAAAAA.

Ahh yours was slightly different to my drama course then.

Is your drama from a script? If so then I find that lines can get boring, just put your own spin on them, even improvise, add in a few words, I always used to do that and it worked.
Reply 6
nothingspek
isn't the A* pratically impossible to get in drama?

I wouldn't say so. I managed to do it. I just made sure I got full marks in all my coursework. When it came to the performance we practiced in all our free time till we knew it couldn't get any better.

Everyone has nerves and the examiner is probably used to seeing extremely nervous people so I wouldn't worry. Just do some breathing exercises before you go on, don't worry if your voice wobbles a bit at first cos once you get going you'll be fine. If you forget your lines STAY IN CHARACTER.

Good luck. God, how I loved GCSE Drama!
amy.dd
I wouldn't say so. I managed to do it. I just made sure I got full marks in all my coursework. When it came to the performance we practiced in all our free time till we knew it couldn't get any better.

Everyone has nerves and the examiner is probably used to seeing extremely nervous people so I wouldn't worry. Just do some breathing exercises before you go on, don't worry if your voice wobbles a bit at first cos once you get going you'll be fine. If you forget your lines STAY IN CHARACTER.

Good luck. God, how I loved GCSE Drama!

But three marks dropped in the whole course? Which includes the hideous amount of written work, the workshop assessments and then of course the performance.
Maybe you're an exception :wink:
Just be the character, ignore who you are in general day time and let the character be you - worked for me during my GNVQ.
Nerves are a bugger but everybody gets them and you'll do brilliantly if you follow the other suggestions on here. =]
Good luck.
Reply 9
good i will breath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thankyou for that.
what gestures etc did you have for your character?
and its ok... my cat does it all the time.

Well many of my lines were extremely suggestive, so I thought of actions to compliment the lines whilst standing in a provocative pose. Haha sounds ridiculous but my first performance went well so it pays off!

It really does depend on whether your play is naturalistic? If so you don't want to overdo it. Engage with the audience, wink at them or something. This sort of confiedence will make you entertaining and convincing. Good luck!!
cissy
Well many of my lines were extremely suggestive, so I thought of actions to compliment the lines whilst standing in a provocative pose. Haha sounds ridiculous but my first performance went well so it pays off!

It really does depend on whether your play is naturalistic? If so you don't want to overdo it. Engage with the audience, wink at them or something. This sort of confiedence will make you entertaining and convincing. Good luck!!

hhaaha i will wink.. im not sure there will be a male in their though.. the examiner and the teacher in female, and theres only a small group watching us, also a drama gcse group.

my lines are also suggestive...
i.e 'and i cant tell you how very very sorry i am for being late, how on earth will i ever repay you?'

'well it wouldnt be a party without me know would it, im sure the doctor wouldnt have any fun.'

'always a pleasure'

etc

RIGHT im going to breath, then im going to go on and enjoy it.
be seductive, be posh, be confident.

easier said than done. thankyou.
nothingspek
But three marks dropped in the whole course? Which includes the hideous amount of written work, the workshop assessments and then of course the performance.

i want to be an exception!!!!!!!!!
nothingspek
Ahh yours was slightly different to my drama course then.

Is your drama from a script? If so then I find that lines can get boring, just put your own spin on them, even improvise, add in a few words, I always used to do that and it worked.

i wrote the script.
the lines work well but i will add my own 'spin'. thankyou.
i want to be an exception!!!!!!!!!

Just do your very best then, but seriously even if you 'only' get an A it's still great.
You are a lot braver than me! I hated Drama at school, I was useless...I just got up on the stage and completely froze. lol. :redface:

It is the only subject I every got U's in. :frown:

Goodluck luck with your exam, im sure you will do fine. :smile:
Emmalouise1990
You are a lot braver than me! I hated Drama at school, I was useless...I just got up on the stage and completely froze. lol. :redface:

It is the only subject I every got U's in. :frown:

Goodluck luck with your exam, im sure you will do fine. :smile:

aww thankyou.
i was going to take a level but i dont think i am now.
infact if i get an amazing feeling on tuesday things might change.
i want to be proud of myself!!!
aww thankyou.
i was going to take a level but i dont think i am now.
infact if i get an amazing feeling on tuesday things might change.
i want to be proud of myself!!!

Don't worry, you will be proud of yourself. The nervous enery will only go in your favour, as you are obviously a very good performer. I think it is just "exam" nerves more than anything, as it is the last chance to "prove" you are good at a subject. :s-smilie:

Tuesday night, you will be sat there wondering why you were so nervous...i do it all the time.lol. :wink:

Best of luck. :smile:
Emmalouise1990
Don't worry, you will be proud of yourself. The nervous enery will only go in your favour, as you are obviously a very good performer. I think it is just "exam" nerves more than anything, as it is the last chance to "prove" you are good at a subject. :s-smilie:

Tuesday night, you will be sat there wondering why you were so nervous...i do it all the time.lol. :wink:

Best of luck. :smile:

YOUR SO NICE thankyou... i hope i am.
then i have french orals on wednesday grrrr
Reply 18
nothingspek

I think it was because we had an exceptionally good piece (ours was devised as well). Also I always make sure I get as high a grade as I can in coursework because it allows for possible mistakes which can go wrong, especially in drama exams!

Put as much time as you can into being that character. When I did my A level piece me and my group would go for coffee in our characters etc so you could see how they react to all different types of situations. In one of my A level pieces i think all four of us managed to forget lines but because our characters were so strong we could just improvise until one of us got the group back on track.
Reply 19
amy.dd
When I did my A level piece me and my group would go for coffee in our characters etc so you could see how they react to all different types of situations.

That is an excellent idea! I may have got arrested for my character though :wink:

Latest