Does the rising knife crime epidemic show that gun laws are stupid? Watch

muthalganesan18
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Guns can be used to defend oneself. I think it's already possible to purchase a gun for self defence in Northern Ireland, and many countries in Continental allow guns more freely as well.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
no
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Then killing would just get easier.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by muthalganesan18)
Guns can be used to defend oneself. I think it's already possible to purchase a gun for self defence in Northern Ireland, and many countries in Continental allow guns more freely as well.
No. You can kill a lot more people far more quickly with a gun than with a knife.

Youth violence happens in cities all over the world. But in cities where young people have access to guns - like Chicago, for example - there's far more chance of innocent bystanders getting killed.

Take Sandra Parks - a 13 year old from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She was accidentally shot and killed *inside her own home* when some idiot outside in the street starting shooting.

https://www.kansas.com/news/nation-w...222013210.html

Her family having a gun wouldn't have stopped those bullets.
Last edited by LeapingLucy; 4 weeks ago
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Look at the Las Vegas massacre in the US - one man killed 58 and injured 851 people in 10 minutes.

That would be physically impossible to achieve with a knife.
Arran90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would seriously consider legalising electric stun guns to combat knife crime. They are legal in most American states but banned in Britain under the 1968 Firearms act.

I do not think that the police have any intelligent or constructive solutions to the problem of knife crime.
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
gun laws don't stop criminals from getting guns. a criminal will get a gun through a dealer or through a blackmarket irl or over the deep web.

if someone wants a gun to protect their family or themselves, they cannot as they won't be willing to break the law to do so.
akbar0123
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Look at the Las Vegas massacre in the US - one man killed 58 and injured 851 people in 10 minutes.

That would be physically impossible to achieve with a knife.
They can do so with a truck or lorry though. For example in the attack in Nice,France a guy killed 86 people with a vehicle. More than any mass shooting done by a single shooter.
akbar0123
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
gun laws don't stop criminals from getting guns. a criminal will get a gun through a dealer or through a blackmarket irl or over the deep web.

if someone wants a gun to protect their family or themselves, they cannot as they won't be willing to break the law to do so.
It’s actually quite hard to get one in the UK, only the top gang members have access to them and an ordinary guy won’t be able to get access to an illegal firearm W like they would to drugs and other illegal stuff. The risks of trafficking a gun means that criminals aren’t really interested in it.
muthalganesan18
Rep:
?
(Original post by akbar0123)
They can do so with a truck or lorry though. For example in the attack in Nice,France a guy killed 86 people with a vehicle. More than any mass shooting done by a single shooter.

I was literally about to say this. I sometimes wonder if the combination of knife crime and terror could outweigh the gun crime in the US.
muthalganesan18
Rep:
?
I was literally about to say this. I sometimes wonder if the combination of knife crime and terror could outweigh the gun crime in the US.
Also, guns are banned in South America if I'm not mistaken and they have the worst gun problems in the world.
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It’s actually quite hard to get one in the UK, only the top gang members have access to them and an ordinary guy won’t be able to get access to an illegal firearm W like they would to drugs and other illegal stuff. The risks of trafficking a gun means that criminals aren’t really interested in it.
It's hard but not THAT hard tbh, plenty of criminals have nothing to do with gangs or that culture and you really can buy anything online.
FloralHybrid
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Does it show that gun laws are stupid?

Of course it doesn’t. Guns are a hell of a lot more dangerous than knives.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
More people would die if we legalised handguns

But at the same time people would feel more protected by having one.

I’d actually like for it to be legal and I definitely think having a tazer should be legal
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It has only happened once though - compare that to the number of mass casualty US shootings. Also, an attack like the one in Nice could only work in very specific circumstances - it requires a huge volume of pedestrians (which you only really get on special occasions like Bastille Day) concentrated in an area that a lorry can access - areas & occasions such as this are really very rare.

There have been several car attacks in Europe, yes, but with relatively few casualties compared to most US mass shootings. The UK ones killed 'only' about 4/5 people. Compare that to 10 killed at Santa Fe High School, 17 killed at the Florida school, 49 killed at the Orlando nightclub, 26 killed at Sandy Hook...

Overall, the US murder rate per 100,000 people is 5.35. The UK's is 1.20, France's is 1.35. Clearly, the US's guns do not make it safer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#United_States
akbar0123
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Probably not. Overall US homicide rates are much higher than anywhere in Western Europe (almost triple that of the UK). Knife and gun crime are defined differently depending on the country and usually homicide is seen as a better, more comparable indicator of violent crime in general since there are fewer disagreements on how it should be defined. The US does also have a high number of stabbings, it’s just that gun crime accounts for a bigger percentage of the murders compared to Europe (and especially the UK) where knives are more commonly used in murders.
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They don't. Look at the intentional homicide rates from last year.

Overall, the US murder rate per 100,000 people is 5.35. The UK's is 1.20, France's is 1.35.

So you are over four times more likely to be murdered in the US than you are in the UK.

akbar0123
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
It has only happened once though - compare that to the number of mass casualty US shootings. Also, an attack like the one in Nice could only work in very specific circumstances - it requires a huge volume of pedestrians (which you only really get on special occasions like Bastille Day) concentrated in an area that a lorry can access - areas & occasions such as this are really very rare.

There have been several car attacks in Europe, yes, but with relatively few casualties compared to most US mass shootings. The UK ones killed 'only' about 4/5 people. Compare that to 10 killed at Santa Fe High School, 17 killed at the Florida school, 49 killed at the Orlando nightclub, 26 killed at Sandy Hook...

Overall, the US murder rate per 100,000 people is 5.35. The UK's is 1.20, France's is 1.35. Clearly, the US's guns do not make it safer.

Yeah I would agree with that. I think it’s a lot easier to prevent vehicle attacks by installing bollards (like they did on Westminster bridge and London Bridge after the attacks) than shootings.
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Also, guns are banned in South America if I'm not mistaken and they have the worst gun problems in the world.
Right. So you think South America, a continent of developing countries - many of which are in states of civil war, have large areas controlled by paramilitary organisations/drug gangs and who have large proportions of their populations living in extreme poverty - is a good comparison for Western Europe, one of the richest, most developed and peaceful regions in the world?
I'mComingOxford
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
what Brits need is a grant from the government to buy some fu***** high quality knife proof Armour.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (582)
80.17%
Leave (144)
19.83%

Watched Threads