accutane/isotretinoin experience Watch

G1582
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I have my dermatology appointment this week after being referred by my GP and hoping to get put on accutane. So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the drug but also with doing it on the NHS?Ive read that some people would have to go back to the derm for monthly blood tests and pregnancy tests and I'm wondering if that's still what is done. Just as I'm hoping to go travelling for over a month but slightly worried they won't prescribe more than a months worth at a time!Any advice regarding side effects would be appreciated. Also if you experienced a bad initial breakout which I've read happens to a lot of people in the first weeks/months. I would say my acne is mild to moderate. However I've already tried the creams and pills give by my GP which haven't worked and this will be the second time going to the dermatologist. the last time I was given doxycycline and differin gel which also haven't really helped and Ive been using those for well over a year now.
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by G1582)
I have my dermatology appointment this week after being referred by my GP and hoping to get put on accutane. So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the drug but also with doing it on the NHS?Ive read that some people would have to go back to the derm for monthly blood tests and pregnancy tests and I'm wondering if that's still what is done. Just as I'm hoping to go travelling for over a month but slightly worried they won't prescribe more than a months worth at a time!Any advice regarding side effects would be appreciated. Also if you experienced a bad initial breakout which I've read happens to a lot of people in the first weeks/months. I would say my acne is mild to moderate. However I've already tried the creams and pills give by my GP which haven't worked and this will be the second time going to the dermatologist. the last time I was given doxycycline and differin gel which also haven't really helped and Ive been using those for well over a year now.
yeah you will need monthly blood tests. it's the only thing which properly works.

your spots will first get worse, then they will start to crust and fall off as your skin will be completely dry, and then they will stop altogether
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
also, you will need constant vaseline on your lips as they will be so dry they will crack
G1582
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
How long until they stop altogether then?

I guess different for different people but in your experience.

Did ou find anything that helped especially for the dry skin Ive heard aquaphor is good

(Original post by Anonymous)yeah you will need monthly blood tests. it's the only thing which properly works.

your spots will first get worse, then they will start to crust and fall off as your skin will be completely dry, and then they will stop altogether
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by G1582)
How long until they stop altogether then?

I guess different for different people but in your experience.

Did ou find anything that helped especially for the dry skin Ive heard aquaphor is good

(Original post by Anonymous)yeah you will need monthly blood tests. it's the only thing which properly works.

just oil-free moisturiser and vaseline.

my spots stopped within 8 weeks, maybe like 6.
mathslover27
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Honestly roaccutane is the best decision you will make for your skin . Im currently on month 4 and although i still have spots , my forehead is clear , my pores are non existant !! Your lips will be dry ever 5 minutes so always have blistex on you , carmex works really well for me . Vaseline doesn't absorb into the lips .
LaurenSmith9699
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Roaccutane was the best medication I’ve been on however I experienced such awful side effects!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
hattie0110
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Starting roaccutane at the end of January 2019 and while I still haven’t experienced it, I have already had the worst experience with the nhs. Got referred from my gp in March 2018 and had to wait MONTHS for a dermatology appointment, then more months to get my bloods done and so on. The nhs lost my blood results, said they would see me after one week but it was actually 4 months. The dermatologists give you 5mins of their time and basically don’t care. Look, all I’m saying is if you can go private do it. My face has scarred lots from last March to now and it’s basically a lucky dip on how quickly you’ll be seen. Good luck
G1582
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by mathslover27)
Honestly roaccutane is the best decision you will make for your skin . Im currently on month 4 and although i still have spots , my forehead is clear , my pores are non existant !! Your lips will be dry ever 5 minutes so always have blistex on you , carmex works really well for me . Vaseline doesn't absorb into the lips .
Yeh I had my derm appointment and will be on it in feb! Did you go through the NHS? Since it seemed they try go for lower doses to avoid side affects, the woman told me start on 20mg daily. Is this what you’re on? And for how long? I’m keen to make my course shorter than 6 months and I’m semi hoping I could rank up the dosage to do so but idk if that would work!!
G1582
Rep:
?
(Original post by LaurenSmith9699)
Roaccutane was the best medication I’ve been on however I experienced such awful side effects!
What side effects? How high was your dose? I should be starting in a month but at a low dose I think
G1582
Rep:
?
(Original post by hattie0110)
Starting roaccutane at the end of January 2019 and while I still haven’t experienced it, I have already had the worst experience with the nhs. Got referred from my gp in March 2018 and had to wait MONTHS for a dermatology appointment, then more months to get my bloods done and so on. The nhs lost my blood results, said they would see me after one week but it was actually 4 months. The dermatologists give you 5mins of their time and basically don’t care. Look, all I’m saying is if you can go private do it. My face has scarred lots from last March to now and it’s basically a lucky dip on how quickly you’ll be seen. Good luck
Omg yeh I had the same with waiting aaages for my referral but at my appointment the lady was really nice and I explained my situation with working the blood tests and prescriptions around travel and she said they’d be able to and was so nice w it I think it helped I got a bit emotional so she was sympathetic so guess I was lucky with that. So you’re going privately now then? It’s something I had briefly considered but heard it’s expensive. I should be starting it similar time to you then if all goes to plan
hattie0110
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by G1582)
Omg yeh I had the same with waiting aaages for my referral but at my appointment the lady was really nice and I explained my situation with working the blood tests and prescriptions around travel and she said they’d be able to and was so nice w it I think it helped I got a bit emotional so she was sympathetic so guess I was lucky with that. So you’re going privately now then? It’s something I had briefly considered but heard it’s expensive. I should be starting it similar time to you then if all goes to plan
No I’m not private as it was too expensive, but the nhs said at my next appointment I should be prescribed with it.. I just hope they do!!
G1582
Rep:
?
(Original post by hattie0110)
No I’m not private as it was too expensive, but the nhs said at my next appointment I should be prescribed with it.. I just hope they do!!
Have they given you any info on how long it’ll last? Also are you starting on 20mg that’s what they suggested to be and said is the standard
hattie0110
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by G1582)
Have they given you any info on how long it’ll last? Also are you starting on 20mg that’s what they suggested to be and said is the standard
No they haven’t said anything! They’ve been rly disorganised with me so hopefully they’ll let me know everything when I’m supposed to start at the end of jan
independentx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I almost went on this last year, but it's been delayed due to other health problems and now I'm not even sure if I'll go on it at all as my skin has actually cleared right up recently. I also waited months for an appointment, got bloods done during my first appointment and never heard a word about results. I have another appointment in a few months (which has been rescheduled multiple times) will see what they say.

From what I know, you still have to go for monthly pregnancy tests and blood tests. Also when you start for the first time the appointment has to be timed as near as possible to the first day of your period. They also stressed to me the importance of being on contraception, which I didn't need at the time but if you aren't on it, you might have to sign a form to say that you accept the risks that come with getting pregnant while on the medication. I felt uncomfortable with this so sorted contraception - keep that in mind before going on the medication.

I've heard very positive experiences though, hope it works for you.
StormyOcean
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I was offered it when I was 15 I think because I have severe cystic acne but refused because of a needle phobia (not scared of needles themselves, injections are fine and don't bother me, its just having the tube in my arm, always makes me faint). However 4 years later I still have cystic acne. Drs given me 3 different antibiotics overall an don't want me to have any more so I am thinking of asking again.

Only problem is not sure I will be allowed it this time because it can cause mental health problems and my brain isn't exactly 100% anymore and can't even lie as on my records
G1582
Rep:
?
(Original post by independentx)
I almost went on this last year, but it's been delayed due to other health problems and now I'm not even sure if I'll go on it at all as my skin has actually cleared right up recently. I also waited months for an appointment, got bloods done during my first appointment and never heard a word about results. I have another appointment in a few months (which has been rescheduled multiple times) will see what they say.

From what I know, you still have to go for monthly pregnancy tests and blood tests. Also when you start for the first time the appointment has to be timed as near as possible to the first day of your period. They also stressed to me the importance of being on contraception, which I didn't need at the time but if you aren't on it, you might have to sign a form to say that you accept the risks that come with getting pregnant while on the medication. I felt uncomfortable with this so sorted contraception - keep that in mind before going on the medication.

I've heard very positive experiences though, hope it works for you.
Thank you I hope it works too! And I’m already on the pill after being told I had to when I had my appointment. Hopefully starting in March but I haven’t heard from them to arrange this so now I’m scared since I’ve calculated it to the day but what if there are delays which seems likely with blood work as you mentioned! Anyway congrats on your clear skin I hope it stays that way!
G1582
Rep:
?
(Original post by PsychStudySarah)
I was offered it when I was 15 I think because I have severe cystic acne but refused because of a needle phobia (not scared of needles themselves, injections are fine and don't bother me, its just having the tube in my arm, always makes me faint). However 4 years later I still have cystic acne. Drs given me 3 different antibiotics overall an don't want me to have any more so I am thinking of asking again.

Only problem is not sure I will be allowed it this time because it can cause mental health problems and my brain isn't exactly 100% anymore and can't even lie as on my records
I relate with the needle issue except it’s mainly injections that freaked me out? Also never had a blood test so that’s probably why I don’t feel that scared so fainting is still an option aha

Sorry to hear about that god having to deal with cystic acne for so long must be **** I’ve been on 3 antibiotics as well I think? Been on doxycycline for over a year which probs isn’t good but they told me to carry on until the isotretinoin.

Yeh obviously previous mental health issues would be something they consider but definitely worth talking to your doctor? Esp if your acne could/is causing scars which seemed to be a criteria they asked for and also if it’s affecting you emotionally. I wouldn’t be surprised if they let you start taking it but just wanted you to be extra aware if it has a negative impact on you so you can stop
StormyOcean
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by G1582)
I relate with the needle issue except it’s mainly injections that freaked me out? Also never had a blood test so that’s probably why I don’t feel that scared so fainting is still an option aha

Sorry to hear about that god having to deal with cystic acne for so long must be **** I’ve been on 3 antibiotics as well I think? Been on doxycycline for over a year which probs isn’t good but they told me to carry on until the isotretinoin.

Yeh obviously previous mental health issues would be something they consider but definitely worth talking to your doctor? Esp if your acne could/is causing scars which seemed to be a criteria they asked for and also if it’s affecting you emotionally. I wouldn’t be surprised if they let you start taking it but just wanted you to be extra aware if it has a negative impact on you so you can stop
I think I will defiantly talk to the gp because I am sick of my stupid acne. It started when I was 13 and I’m now 19. If I don’t take any medication at all then my face is so disgusting and I will be crying from the pain so I really do want to change things. Also I have no self confidence but that never existed anyway lol. And I wouldn’t worry too much about blood tests, if you have good veins it doesn’t really hurt, I find injections are worse. Think it’s just because once I was held down in hospital while they shoved an IV in me so now I just freak out when they do it
G1582
Rep:
?
(Original post by PsychStudySarah)
I think I will defiantly talk to the gp because I am sick of my stupid acne. It started when I was 13 and I’m now 19. If I don’t take any medication at all then my face is so disgusting and I will be crying from the pain so I really do want to change things. Also I have no self confidence but that never existed anyway lol. And I wouldn’t worry too much about blood tests, if you have good veins it doesn’t really hurt, I find injections are worse. Think it’s just because once I was held down in hospital while they shoved an IV in me so now I just freak out when they do it
yeh do if you told them that i think they'd be more than happy to refer you to talk about isotretnoin j warning the referral might be in quite a few months:/ yeh acne can be so draining so i hope the doctors help! since this is meant to basically be a cure I think it's so gonna be worth it, really sounds like you should consider it. Think i have good veins hopefully? oh my god that sounds horrible im not surprised that had an effect on you woww how is that even allowed
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
22.91%
The paper was reasonable (428)
44.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.2%
It was TERRIBLE (135)
14.12%

Watched Threads