The Student Room Group

accutane/isotretinoin experience

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
half way through month two on 20mg/day so far minimal side effects and breaking out more but nothing that bad! what's your experience with it?
My experience has been really good, I’m currently on 30 mg for two months and I haven’t had any side affects (yet?) and my spots are the clearest they’ve ever been!

Original post by G1582
half way through month two on 20mg/day so far minimal side effects and breaking out more but nothing that bad! what's your experience with it?
I’ve had numerous courses over the years.with the first course I had 90mg a day! The old regime was based on your weight. More recently I’ve done 20mg a day which works just as well, but you need to take it for longer. The first course worked really well and stopped the severe problems I was having, but within 6 months I started to get the odd spot here and there, so I’ve dipped into additional maintenance courses every few years to keep on top of it
Reply 63
Ah good to hear! How long did it take for you to start clearing up?
Original post by Anonymous
My experience has been really good, I’m currently on 30 mg for two months and I haven’t had any side affects (yet?) and my spots are the clearest they’ve ever been!
Reply 64
wow 90mg how did you find the side effects?
Original post by Isotretinoin22
I’ve had numerous courses over the years.with the first course I had 90mg a day! The old regime was based on your weight. More recently I’ve done 20mg a day which works just as well, but you need to take it for longer. The first course worked really well and stopped the severe problems I was having, but within 6 months I started to get the odd spot here and there, so I’ve dipped into additional maintenance courses every few years to keep on top of it
Original post by G1582
Ah good to hear! How long did it take for you to start clearing up?

Not long, about 2-3 months? They cleared a little by that point and then by 4 months they are barely there
Original post by G1582
wow 90mg how did you find the side effects?

Very sore lips and very dry face. I had some bad cysts that just cleared up though - it’s amazing stuff. The 20mg a day regime is the way to do it. I haven’t seen a dermatologist for years, I just source my own supply
Reply 67
Original post by Isotretinoin22
Very sore lips and very dry face. I had some bad cysts that just cleared up though - it’s amazing stuff. The 20mg a day regime is the way to do it. I haven’t seen a dermatologist for years, I just source my own supply

how do you get your own, just on the internet? is that hard?
Ive been on 20mg for almost 2 months now but hoping to get the dose increased soon. Any recommendations for moisturisers or anything like that?
Original post by G1582
how do you get your own, just on the internet? is that hard?
Ive been on 20mg for almost 2 months now but hoping to get the dose increased soon. Any recommendations for moisturisers or anything like that?

I used epiderm (can be found in the eczema section in boots). I used the cream as a body and face moisturiser and the ointment for really dry patches or skin, as a lip balm and under my eyes as a base for makeup.

Lucy
Original post by G1582
I have my dermatology appointment this week after being referred by my GP and hoping to get put on accutane. So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the drug but also with doing it on the NHS?Ive read that some people would have to go back to the derm for monthly blood tests and pregnancy tests and I'm wondering if that's still what is done. Just as I'm hoping to go travelling for over a month but slightly worried they won't prescribe more than a months worth at a time!Any advice regarding side effects would be appreciated. Also if you experienced a bad initial breakout which I've read happens to a lot of people in the first weeks/months. I would say my acne is mild to moderate. However I've already tried the creams and pills give by my GP which haven't worked and this will be the second time going to the dermatologist. the last time I was given doxycycline and differin gel which also haven't really helped and Ive been using those for well over a year now.

My acne was classed as very severe acne and going on roaccutane was the best thing I ever did! I had to have a pregnancy test every month and I had to have a blood test before going on the tablets and for the first 2 months of being on them and the 6th month (my last). After the 6 months of medication, the scarring clears within another 6 (mine took about 8) and this is my 10th month being off them and I only have a tiny bit of scarring! Honestly, they’re the best! There are mixed reviews and everyone’s different but the only things that I had problems with were nose bleeds and extremely dry and cracked lips but it all pays off in the end!
Reply 70
Original post by Lxllipop
My acne was classed as very severe acne and going on roaccutane was the best thing I ever did! I had to have a pregnancy test every month and I had to have a blood test before going on the tablets and for the first 2 months of being on them and the 6th month (my last). After the 6 months of medication, the scarring clears within another 6 (mine took about 8) and this is my 10th month being off them and I only have a tiny bit of scarring! Honestly, they’re the best! There are mixed reviews and everyone’s different but the only things that I had problems with were nose bleeds and extremely dry and cracked lips but it all pays off in the end!

Do you remember what dose you were on?

Yes Im having monthly blood tests which i don't really care about any more. So far skin is a little drier and getting nose bleeds but nothing bad... I'm only on 20 mg a day though so wasn't expecting too bad side effects.

About to finish month 2 and skin is the worst it has been in a while, hoping it'll get better soon but still staying positive. Seeing lots of positives outcomes like yours makes me hopeful!
Original post by G1582
Do you remember what dose you were on?

Yes Im having monthly blood tests which i don't really care about any more. So far skin is a little drier and getting nose bleeds but nothing bad... I'm only on 20 mg a day though so wasn't expecting too bad side effects.

About to finish month 2 and skin is the worst it has been in a while, hoping it'll get better soon but still staying positive. Seeing lots of positives outcomes like yours makes me hopeful!

I was on 60mg, couldn’t go any higher because of my weight. My skin was awful the first 3 months - never felt that insecure! But now my scarring is just about healed, I couldn’t be happier! As you go up in dosage the side effects get a tiny bit worse but doctors do all they can to make sure you don’t get any serious complications!
Reply 72
Original post by Lxllipop
I was on 60mg, couldn’t go any higher because of my weight. My skin was awful the first 3 months - never felt that insecure! But now my scarring is just about healed, I couldn’t be happier! As you go up in dosage the side effects get a tiny bit worse but doctors do all they can to make sure you don’t get any serious complications!

Yes with my weight I think the max I can go is 50/60 can't remember. Doesn't seem like they'll put me that high anyway the NHS seem really hesitant to do so, apparently because they had complaints with doing too high doses previously?

My acne has never been that bad but now its basically the worst its ever been (though just concentrated in an area) and I had thought this stage would've come a lot earlier and that coming into month 3 I'd be a lot clearer. I suppose that comes with the lower dose everything is happening a bit later. the two months have gone pretty quick so hopefully the next will and in a further two months my skin should be looking a lot better!
Original post by G1582
Yes with my weight I think the max I can go is 50/60 can't remember. Doesn't seem like they'll put me that high anyway the NHS seem really hesitant to do so, apparently because they had complaints with doing too high doses previously?

My acne has never been that bad but now its basically the worst its ever been (though just concentrated in an area) and I had thought this stage would've come a lot earlier and that coming into month 3 I'd be a lot clearer. I suppose that comes with the lower dose everything is happening a bit later. the two months have gone pretty quick so hopefully the next will and in a further two months my skin should be looking a lot better!

My spots didn’t go until after I’d finished the course of medication, although it started to clear up in the 5th month. The accutane brings out the spots from under your skin once they are properly formed and make the process quicker, I think you will find that in a couple of months they’ll start going. I think it’s just a waiting game with the tablets, they do the job though! After the medication, you’ll have a ‘clearing phase’ as the medication is meant to stay in your system for 6 months (I think, not certain), it will still be working after you’ve took your last dose and that’s what helps with the scarring (if you get any). :smile:
i started taking accutane december 29, 2017 and was on it for about 6 months and i'm happy w the results :smile:please comment any questions you might have!! i'll be happy to answer them!!ik i'm touching my face a lot in this but I had to show you and I washed my hands and face before each clip :wink:products i used: cerave moisturizer, aquaphor

Quick Reply

Latest