Just found I have PCOS, what now? Watch

KFS64
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I know this is something 1 in 10 women are said to have, but it feels like I'm on my own, no one around me looks like I do. I have severe acne, a lot of excessive body hair EVERYWHERE, the hair on my head falls out a lot, have very dark underarms & bikini area (even though I never shave them - only wax/cream). I work out 6 days a week intensively and eat so well, I'm very hygienic, but I only lose 1kg a month (I'm rather over weight). My physical appearance is what I'm focused on now, I will worry about infertility later but I don't know how to deal with this as is How to deal with hair/acne/weight on PCOS? Thanks guys! (I'm 19/F)
sknudson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
At least you have an answer to the acne concerns now. What did the doctors say to do regarding acne now?
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
One great thing about the internet is how it can get people together from all around the globe. I am willing to bet that on Facebook or health unlocked (like TSR for health stuff) there will be a PCOS group. I expect there are probably a few people on here with it even. Talking to people with some shared experiences even just online can be a big help.
Otherwise the best I can suggest is talking to your doctor about treatments, ways of managing it etc.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
chronicalexa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Agree with above ^^

These should be manageable if on the right treatment. A quick google search found these:
https://www.pcosaa.org/resources/
https://www.pcosdietsupport.com/

I'm currently be tested for endomeitriosis, so I feel your pain - literally I guess (to an extent).
KFS64
Rep:
?
(Original post by sknudson)
At least you have an answer to the acne concerns now. What did the doctors say to do regarding acne now?
Yeah at least I got some sort of confirmation as to why it was happening lol, they didn't say anything specifically they were more concerned about my weight rising, it was mostly just the 'eat clean, wear loose clothes, ect' and to use the duac benzyl peroxide cream in moderation.
KFS64
Rep:
?
(Original post by chronicalexa)
Agree with above ^^

These should be manageable if on the right treatment. A quick google search found these:
https://www.pcosaa.org/resources/
https://www.pcosdietsupport.com/

I'm currently be tested for endomeitriosis, so I feel your pain - literally I guess (to an extent).
I hope we both get through it!
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have PCOS as a few others do on tsr, dont feel alone :hugs:
sknudson
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KFS64)
Yeah at least I got some sort of confirmation as to why it was happening lol, they didn't say anything specifically they were more concerned about my weight rising, it was mostly just the 'eat clean, wear loose clothes, ect' and to use the duac benzyl peroxide cream in moderation.
About all you can do. Evening Primrose Oil could be useful if your LH is particularly out of range and could subsequently help control the acne, but you're going to have enough to do getting the diet under control. I already understand the struggle as a hypogonadal male with metabolic syndrome. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but it's going to take some serious doing to get there.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
I also have PCOS. I'm not overweight but I do have unwanted hair on my body and it has affected my hair growth as well.
just like our case, my doctor has also told me to maintain/control my weight since in this condition a lot of weight can easily be gained. what I do for this is just a 30-minute walk and some exercises for like 15 to 20 minutes and other than this I drink green tea cuz I feel like it really helps maintain ur weight ( drink green tea at least 5 times a day). I don't do much for my weight since my weight is completely normal. and about the hair growth, my doctor suggested me to go for laser hair removal since its a much faster and simpler way than taking medicines for continuous 6 to 7 months , and as long as our hormones are not balanced ur acne won't go away, trust me the most u can do now is just try avoiding junk food and stick to fruits and veggies and do drink a lot of water as well, aloottttt of it cuz that will help u solve many problems.
u don't have to worry much just takes medicines as per ur doctor suggests for balancing ur hormones and maintain/lose ur weight and that's all, the hair and acne problem will go away when the hormones start to balance out.
nothing to worry about and take care of urself
KFS64
Rep:
?
(Original post by sknudson)
About all you can do. Evening Primrose Oil could be useful if your LH is particularly out of range and could subsequently help control the acne, but you're going to have enough to do getting the diet under control. I already understand the struggle as a hypogonadal male with metabolic syndrome. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but it's going to take some serious doing to get there.
Fair enough, thank you for your positivity it seriously helps !
KFS64
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
I also have PCOS. I'm not overweight but I do have unwanted hair on my body and it has affected my hair growth as well.
just like our case, my doctor has also told me to maintain/control my weight since in this condition a lot of weight can easily be gained. what I do for this is just a 30-minute walk and some exercises for like 15 to 20 minutes and other than this I drink green tea cuz I feel like it really helps maintain ur weight ( drink green tea at least 5 times a day). I don't do much for my weight since my weight is completely normal. and about the hair growth, my doctor suggested me to go for laser hair removal since its a much faster and simpler way than taking medicines for continuous 6 to 7 months , and as long as our hormones are not balanced ur acne won't go away, trust me the most u can do now is just try avoiding junk food and stick to fruits and veggies and do drink a lot of water as well, aloottttt of it cuz that will help u solve many problems.
u don't have to worry much just takes medicines as per ur doctor suggests for balancing ur hormones and maintain/lose ur weight and that's all, the hair and acne problem will go away when the hormones start to balance out.
nothing to worry about and take care of urself
Aw bless you, yeah I hope we both get through this well. It's great that you're not overweight, for me I exercise 6 times a week at least an hour per day, cause my dad was a personal trainer & this is what he recommended but he doesn't know anything about PCOS & there are a few articles saying too much exercise for people with PCOS just does the exact opposite. There are too many articles saying so many different things its difficult to know what to do! lol
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Another PCOS gal here! I find the best way to cope is to manage the symptoms so if you’d like to go on the Pill then that can help reduce acne and allow you to regulate your periods. Find if certain foods make you put on weight (e.g. I find I massively bloat if I eat cheese!) and then just cut down or find alternatives. For exercise, find something you love so that exercise doesn’t become a chore (I play in my uni netball team and our training is so fun that I don’t even really realise I’m working out!) Those have helped me but loads of great suggestions here and don’t worry, you’re not alone
KFS64
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueEyedGirl_)
Another PCOS gal here! I find the best way to cope is to manage the symptoms so if you’d like to go on the Pill then that can help reduce acne and allow you to regulate your periods. Find if certain foods make you put on weight (e.g. I find I massively bloat if I eat cheese!) and then just cut down or find alternatives. For exercise, find something you love so that exercise doesn’t become a chore (I play in my uni netball team and our training is so fun that I don’t even really realise I’m working out!) Those have helped me but loads of great suggestions here and don’t worry, you’re not alone
It's really good to hear there are others out there! I do enjoy exercising I just hope I'm not doing too much haha
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by katf)
You clearly know nothing about the pain of infertility. If you don't want kids, it hurts to have the choice made for you. If you do, it can destroy your life and take away any meaning it holds. I know this all too well.

A condition that makes women feel less feminine and causes some horrible symptoms isn't to be taken lightly, and nor should it become a competition between which sex has it harder. It has nothing to do with men.
Exactly. Thank you. For starters men don't have this societal standard that they have to be hairless, so comparing male body hair with women's is meaningless anyway. If I was a man it would be acceptable for me to have a happy trail but as a woman it makes me feel ugly.
I also dont want children however I would have liked to have made that choice myself not have my biology decide for me. It hurts when people are talking about planning families and stuff and you can't even get to the discussion phase.
As you say it's not a competition and men have precisely nothing to do with it. If they have to be involved at least learn and take on board from what women with the condition say rather than lecture us about our own condition
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've moderated this thread a little bit so if anything is disjointed that's why. Please stay on topic and remember this is a place for support.
Last edited by Kindred; 1 month ago
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KFS64)
I know this is something 1 in 10 women are said to have, but it feels like I'm on my own, no one around me looks like I do. I have severe acne, a lot of excessive body hair EVERYWHERE, the hair on my head falls out a lot, have very dark underarms & bikini area (even though I never shave them - only wax/cream). I work out 6 days a week intensively and eat so well, I'm very hygienic, but I only lose 1kg a month (I'm rather over weight). My physical appearance is what I'm focused on now, I will worry about infertility later but I don't know how to deal with this as is How to deal with hair/acne/weight on PCOS? Thanks guys! (I'm 19/F)
Really all you can do is speak to your GP! He might recommend medications, or refer you to an endocrinologist who can.

There’s no universally accepted way of dealing with PCOS - It varies from person to person.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Exactly. Thank you. For starters men don't have this societal standard that they have to be hairless, so comparing male body hair with women's is meaningless anyway. If I was a man it would be acceptable for me to have a happy trail but as a woman it makes me feel ugly.
I also dont want children however I would have liked to have made that choice myself not have my biology decide for me. It hurts when people are talking about planning families and stuff and you can't even get to the discussion phase.
As you say it's not a competition and men have precisely nothing to do with it. If they have to be involved at least learn and take on board from what women with the condition say rather than lecture us about our own condition
PCOS doesn't mean automatic infertility.

I have it - was diagnosed when we were trying for a baby; I'd been on hormonal contraception for >10 years so never really noticed my periods being irregular, but they were all over the place once I stopped the pill. I am overweight, but don't have any other manifestations of PCOS like extra hair or acne, it affects everyone differently. Once it was diagnosed, I was referred to the fertility clinic, and given Clomid to kick-start ovulation. I got pregnant on the second cycle of that and had my son, and am now pregnant spontaneously with my second.

OP (and anyone else) - PCOS affects insulin/glucose metabolism, so lots of people, myself included, found that symptoms improved by reducing carbs in your diet - worth a try?
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Helenia)

I have it - was diagnosed when we were trying for a baby; I'd been on hormonal contraception for >10 years so never really noticed my periods being irregular, but they were all over the place once I stopped the pill. I am overweight, but don't have any other manifestations of PCOS like extra hair or acne, it affects everyone differently. Once it was diagnosed, I was referred to the fertility clinic, and given Clomid to kick-start ovulation. I got pregnant on the second cycle of that and had my son, and am now pregnant spontaneously with my second.

OP (and anyone else) - PCOS affects insulin/glucose metabolism, so lots of people, myself included, found that symptoms improved by reducing carbs in your diet - worth a try?
Am pleased it worked out for you. I know it doesn't automatically mean it but it's highly likely especially how ****ed my periods are if I wasn't on birth control then they are about once every three months.
For context I was replying to a troll poster who was equating men being a bit hairy to having PCOS when it is not comparable in the slightest.
Oh yeh forgot about the risk of diabetes and the fact we produce too much insulin, another fun symptom
KFS64
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Helenia)

I'll definitely bare this in mind, I'm very happy that you managed to get pregnant! Wish you all the best
sknudson
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Oh yeh forgot about the risk of diabetes and the fact we produce too much insulin, another fun symptom
This would be my main concern and is something I'm dealing with partly because of my dysfunctional boys downstairs. Insulin resistance is a terrible thing and I felt the horror of it being completely out of control earlier this year. Combined with a permanent night shift job where I was regularly doing 60+ hour weeks, I was completely broken when I left that gig. You're tired. You feel weak and ill. You sleep all the time. You wake up completely unrefreshed and want to go back to bed again even if you were already down for 15 hours, but yet everyone tells you to get on and the NHS says things are fine. Never again.
Last edited by sknudson; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (75)
19.43%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (156)
40.41%
Nope, not that interesting (155)
40.16%

Watched Threads