The Student Room Group

Volume of rotation about y-axis

This is from the last part of 2002 STEP 1 Q4

https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/STEP/Papers/2002%20STEP%201.pdf

(solution found on p67 of the latest Siklos booklet).

www.colmanweb.co.uk/Assets/PDF/advanced-problems-mathematics.pdf

The only way I've learned for calculating volumes of rotation about the y-axis is to do them the same way as for rotations about the x-axis, putting the expression in terms of y and integrating with respect to y, but this doesn't seem to work in the given problem and 2(pi)(y)(x)dx has been integrated instead, with limits that seem to refer to the y axis?

Is this a standard formula that can be used as an alternative to the common A-level method? Is there a way to tell whether it's going to be the best option?

Thanks.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by jameshyland29
Is this a standard formula that can be used as an alternative to the common A-level method?

Yes, it's a standard formula, though I've rarely seen it used.

The usual formula arises from considering elementary discs perpendicular to the axis about which you're rotating, hence the πy2  dx\pi y^2\; dx, etc.

The formula used in this question uses concentric elementary annuli of thickness δx\delta x, with the volume of the annulus being given by, circumference x height x thickness, i.e. 2πx×y×δx2\pi x\times y\times \delta x, hence the integral of 2πxy  dx2\pi xy\;dx
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ghostwalker
Yes, it's a standard formula, though I've rarely seen it used.

The usual formula arises from considering elementary discs perpendicular to the axis about which you're rotating, hence the πy2  dx\pi y^2\; dx, etc.

The formula used in this question uses concentric elementary annuli of thickness δx\delta x, with the volume of the annulus being given by, circumference x height x thickness, i.e. 2πx×y×δx2\pi x\times y\times \delta x, hence the integral of 2πxy  dx2\pi xy\;dx

I'm having difficulty visualising the annuli. Is the word elementary in reference to the way that the volume consists of a row of infinitely thin "segments" side by side of different heights, as found generally in integration from first principles?

Would it be possible to use the usual method for discs to solve the problem?

Thanks.
I'm having difficulty visualising the annuli. Is the word elementary in reference to the way that the volume consists of a row of infinitely thin "segments" side by side of different heights, as found generally in integration from first principles?

Yes. Except in this case you have concentric pipes with infintely thin walls, for want of a better description.

Thanks.

Don't think so, as you'll need to evaluate "ln y" at y=0 - :eek:
(edited 5 years ago)

Thanks.

Yes.

I think Ghostwalker has overlooked a small point:

the volume of revolution is a disc of which the radius is 1, height is 1/2, plus a dome shape.
volume of dome shape above the disc is given by 'usual' formula, which will result in

Volume of dome = pi x [ F(1) - F(1/2) ]
where F(y) is the integrated x^2 expression

ie F(y) = lny - y
Original post by begbie68
Yes.

I think Ghostwalker has overlooked a small point:

the volume of revolution is a disc of which the radius is 1, height is 1/2, plus a dome shape.
volume of dome shape above the disc is given by 'usual' formula, which will result in

Volume of dome = pi x [ F(1) - F(1/2) ]
where F(y) is the integrated x^2 expression

ie F(y) = lny - y

Good spot. I was looking at the curve over the whole of the reals.

PRSOM.
Original post by ghostwalker
Good spot. I was looking at the curve over the whole of the reals.

PRSOM.

Thought so. No probs. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest